Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Duran Duran
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 14, 2011 08:20

ryanpow
Duran Duran is neither a Duran nor a Duran... Discuss.

Are you trying to make me feel faclemped?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2011 08:35

Sleepy City
DragonSky
Title5Take1
From 80's Mick interview:

MICK JAGGER: "All my daughters' boyfriends dress like Duran Duran."

INTERVIEWER: "Do you like Duran Duran?"

[Jagger closes his eyes and stays silent]

INTERVIEWER: "Uh, yeah, right."

MICK JAGGER: "Come on, give me a break!"

I bet Duran Duran could have made Let's Work a hit - and convincing as well.

Mick Jagger made it a hit too.

On what planet was "Let's Work" a hit?
Duran Duran's fine for what they are...had some catchy tunes, but I don't see myself searching for the deep album cuts of Rio.

Date: July 14, 2011 08:38

The GR
I always thought the Subterranean Hawks were a lot better band from the Brum scene but the Durans were better looking and therefore got the breaks

I hated that Simon Le Bon and Nick Rhodes ganged up and kicked out Pete Best, because he was better looking.

That is just shite.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 15, 2011 03:53

From wikipedia:

Despite high expectations, it failed to reach the popularity of earlier Jagger singles such as "Just Another Night."

NOT A HIT.

There ya go.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 15, 2011 04:00

BluzDude
ryanpow

No I just have spelkesh in my Kanektikazoinhk

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2011 04:42

ryanpow
BluzDude
ryanpow

No I just have spelkesh in my Kanektikazoinhk

oy vey azmear!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 15, 2011 05:29

WTF?! A message board on which some posts say Ron Wood has always been a blight on the Stones and some posts say Duran Duran is superior to Mick Jagger. I think I've just entered.......the Twilight Zone.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 15, 2011 05:56

They suck! Take it the their message board

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 15, 2011 06:00

DragonSky
From wikipedia:

Despite high expectations, it failed to reach the popularity of earlier Jagger singles such as "Just Another Night."

NOT A HIT.

There ya go.

Are you really quoting wiki as a valid source? Dont you know the grumpy hens do a lot of editing there? Look at this screen shot of what the grumpy hens did to Joe Bucks page... before it was changed back.
=========================================================

=========================================================
moral(s)
1)Never quote wiki as a valid source.
2)Shame shame shame on the grumpy hens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-15 06:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 15, 2011 06:41

What's the name of that ultra-cheesy kind of acoustic Duran Duran ballad? Ordinary World I think. So bad.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2011 07:49

Title5Take1
d some posts say Duran Duran is superior to Mick Jagger.[/i].

Duran Duran's great run of hit-singles in the early-mid 80's is better than most of Jagger's solo pap. I love him as a Rolling Stone, though!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2011 17:27

Max'sKansasCity
1)Never quote wiki as a valid source.

Wiki is a far better source than many other sites, because it can be easily edited, i.e. corrected, fixed, & wiki does a good job of banning those that make obvious false edits.

Plus Wiki is masterful with quick links to almost anything related ... if I want to check the Stones discography, it is there. Wait, a quick link to Ronnie, and I'm there... wait a quick link to Faces & I'm there. Such a great site, that one can get lost in w/ so much info so quickly obtained.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2011 17:39

If you were to describe the 80s from a popular-music standpoint Duran Duran would be one of the names mentioned. They are at one with the 80s. Like it or not. I didn't then! At that time I considered the Rolling Stones a musical antithesis to Duran Duran (or any synth band).

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 15, 2011 20:32

I liked them at the time and now, classic well written pop singles of the strictly 80's variety.

What i find most interesting about them now is how Nick Rhodes has started to resemble a frail old dear, how did that happen?

Anyway, these are great songs, decadent 80s or not.

And the legendary(ish) Duran vs Spandau episode of Pop quiz

Date: July 15, 2011 21:06

BluzDude
ryanpow

its from an episode of saturday night live

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 15, 2011 23:33

leteyer
The biggest babe magnet ever.

Simply background noise while you were trying to get laid. No way in hell a bunch of guys would sit around and listen to it if you weren't trying to de-pants a female. Unless you were a puff, then it would be right up your alley.

Date: July 16, 2011 00:36

Brue
leteyer

Simply background noise while you were trying to get laid. No way in hell a bunch of guys would sit around and listen to it if you weren't trying to de-pants a female. Unless you were a puff, then it would be right up your alley.

so you are saying no one in duran duran has talent?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 16, 2011 00:38

ryanpow
Union of the Snake
Absolutely the best.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 16, 2011 00:44

Ladykiller
saw Duran Duran in 2005 on their reunion tour. They put a low energy show on, the only one, who had power on stage was Andy Taylor (guitar-player). Maybe it was, because they performed in a venue, which is sold out with 12.000 people and they had less than 2.000 people.

well...they cancelled their show here in Gothneburg due to "illness", however the ticketprices were ridicuolous, concerning their status among concertgoers, so no wonder they cancelled..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 16, 2011 01:39

keefriffhard4life
Brue
leteyer

I don't know, am I? I don't care enough about them to render an opinion. I'm just telling you what I used to do 28 years ago when their music was on. Instead of saying 'I liked them' or 'I didn't like them', or trying to 'describe their music' why don't you just describe the way you listened to them like I just did? It was background noise for me. That doesn't mean it was bad, it just means that I wasn't interested in it unless it involved a female. I didn't like it for music sake, but what it could do to others.

Date: July 16, 2011 02:24

Brue
keefriffhard4life
Brue
leteyer

I don't know, am I? I don't care enough about them to render an opinion. I'm just telling you what I used to do 28 years ago when their music was on. Instead of saying 'I liked them' or 'I didn't like them', or trying to 'describe their music' why don't you just describe the way you listened to them like I just did? It was background noise for me. That doesn't mean it was bad, it just means that I wasn't interested in it unless it involved a female. I didn't like it for music sake, but what it could do to others.

oh ok. i was ready to through a bunch of stuff at you like warren played with frank zappa in the 70's, the taylor's have done tons of non pop side projects including THE POWER STATION with robert palmer and this great release here:

Date: July 16, 2011 02:50

Max'sKansasCity
DragonSky
From wikipedia:

NOT A HIT.

There ya go.

Are you really quoting wiki as a valid source?

I am aware that Wikipedia is not a valid source since it always seems to be missing something and/or gets things historically wrong. However, considering the context of this thread and the song of discussion, Let's Work, I figured Wiki could at least get that right - and they did - so I used it as a "source" of information.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2011 02:53

Anything without Andy Taylor sucks.thumbs down

Date: July 16, 2011 02:56

Oh I know exactly who was in the band. I ain't stoopid, I just don't care. That's different.

Date: July 16, 2011 03:27

Duran Duran can be summed up by this quote by a band member (Nick Rhodes):

NICK RHODES: "I wanted to hire Simon Le Bon as our lead singer the second he walked in the door, before he even opened his mouth. I almost didn't care whether he could sing."

Why was I not surprised when I read that???

Date: July 16, 2011 03:34

Title5Take1

NICK RHODES: "I wanted to hire Simon Le Bon as our lead singer the second he walked in the door, before he even opened his mouth. I almost didn't care whether he could sing."

so whats the point. i've heard band members say they hired a guitar player before he even plugged in based on his look.

Date: July 16, 2011 07:14

keefriffhard4life
Title5Take1

so whats the point. i've heard band members say they hired a guitar player before he even plugged in based on his look.

The point is those could only be really shitty bands.

Date: July 16, 2011 13:02

Title5Take1
keefriffhard4life
Title5Take1

The point is those could only be really shitty bands.

not really. i'll see if i can find what bands said that. i knew springsteen claims as soon as he saw clarence clemons he knew he had to hire him. billy gibbons says he knew dusty hill was the right bass player for his band before he heard him play. i can't think of the rest right now

Date: July 17, 2011 18:04

DragonSky
Max'sKansasCity
DragonSky
From wikipedia:

NOT A HIT.

There ya go.

Are you really quoting wiki as a valid source?

I am aware that Wikipedia is not a valid source since it always seems to be missing something and/or gets things historically wrong. However, considering the context of this thread and the song of discussion, Let's Work, I figured Wiki could at least get that right - and they did - so I used it as a "source" of information.

It peaked at number 39, on Billboard if that says anything in terms of it being a hit.

It has to be the worst single (if not song) in Mick's solo canon, if not for the lyrics alone. For a brief moment in time, in 1987, it shook me so hard it had me questioning my stones-fanaticism.

Then I realized, they are simply human. They can make mistakes.

Date: July 17, 2011 21:44

And that was back when record sales/charts were still exaggerated. It being at #39 is most likely inaccurate and it was really at #139 at best.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home