Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones Songs with Synthesizers
Date: October 25, 2018 13:01

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
"Too Rude", Live version of "Cherry of Baby"

Electric piano?
Man, not even. I did that by impulse. It was actually Rocky D's post re 'Send it to me: that made me question pretty much all of Stones Reggae-fied tunes. But 'Too Rude", now that I give it a listen seems to be organic.
But to use the word 'synth' in modern recording is almost a misnomer because chances are there is a synth just about everywhere.

Indeed.

Instead, we'll have to create a cult-thread looking for computer free-recorded tracks. That'll be hard to find..

Date: October 25, 2018 13:20

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or is there a synth in Shattered, too?

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: October 25, 2018 14:07

I listened to Shattered again. Just to check. There does not seem to be any synthesizer but lots of effected guitars (MXR90?).

And then there's sex and sex and sex.

Date: October 25, 2018 14:14

Gigbag
I listened to Shattered again. Just to check. There does not seem to be any synthesizer but lots of effected guitars (MXR90?).

What's that beeping sound in the ending of Ronnie's solo?

Listen here:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-25 14:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 25, 2018 14:46

Chances are there is a synth just about everywhere live when Chuck think it's time to fill up the sound...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 25, 2018 14:49

powerage78
Chances are there is a synth just about everywhere live when Chuck think it's time to fill up the sound...

Chuck never plays a synth.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Gigbag

Listen here:

[www.youtube.com]

I think it is a slide guitar but it could be a synth or a musical saw.

Date: October 25, 2018 16:38

Gigbag
DandelionPowderman
Gigbag

Listen here:

[www.youtube.com]

I think it is a slide guitar but it could be a synth or a musical saw.

It's not the pedal steel smiling smiley

The end of the phrasing gives it away: a synth (God forbid)..

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:45

100 Years Ago?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:53

I really thought it was a pedal steel (the Hawaiian sound) at the end of Ronnie's solo.

Chuck does indeed play synth on at least "Harlem Shuffle" and "Mixed Emotions." You can hear it clearly on the 12" singles. Although Bard might have been funning me.

Scratch that, Bard meant in concert. Well, it's true the keyboards compensate for guitars at times. Playing something that sounds either like a synth guitar or a playback. Andy Wallace did the same with Ronnie's solo shows in recent years. All part of the safety net unless you want to believe that's Pierre behind a curtain or under the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-25 16:59 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 25, 2018 17:01

Rocky Dijon
I really thought it was a pedal steel (the Hawaiian sound) at the end of Ronnie's solo.

Chuck does indeed play synth on at least "Harlem Shuffle" and "Mixed Emotions." You can hear it clearly on the 12" singles. Although Bard might have been funning me.

The thing is, we can hear the pedal steel simultaneously. And it sounds very different to those sounds (coming out of nowhere) in the ending of the solo.

Yeah, Chuck is credited on various sites on synth. But shouldn't that be keyboards, to be accurate and knitpick a bit?

Or perhaps he was pushing and turning buttons, loading in and adjusting the right sequencers, to get the proper sound for that 60s soul classic? That sounds crazy to me, but who knows...

Most of the time, though, it is indeed Chuck who handles the keyboards and organs for the Stones. Matt pushes the buttons on the synthesiser.

Date: October 25, 2018 17:29

Well, Chuck's the only one who could be on synthesizer on "Harlem Shuffle." If it was one of the band, they'd take credit somewhere. You really hear it on the 12" single and once you do, you notice a couple seconds of it on the album track. It's a pity since I love his organ work on the studio cut, but the synth sorta works. It's obviously where they tried using the Uptown Horns but correctly thought they were too overt. The synth blends with the guitars to where you hear it subconsciously. Part of what went missing in later years were those bits you can't unhear once you notice them, but went years and years without noticing them. Bits of acoustic or slide or pedal steel or synth or something Brian, Bill, Jack, or Stu did in the sixties. There were always Easter Eggs, to use an annoying modern term, hidden in plain sight.

Date: October 25, 2018 17:34

Rocky Dijon
Well, Chuck's the only one who could be on synthesizer on "Harlem Shuffle." If it was one of the band, they'd take credit somewhere. You really hear it on the 12" single and once you do, you notice a couple seconds of it on the album track. It's a pity since I love his organ work on the studio cut, but the synth sorta works. It's obviously where they tried using the Uptown Horns but correctly thought they were too overt. The synth blends with the guitars to where you hear it subconsciously. Part of what went missing in later years were those bits you can't unhear once you notice them, but went years and years without noticing them. Bits of acoustic or slide or pedal steel or synth or something Brian, Bill, Jack, or Stu did in the sixties. There were always Easter Eggs, to use an annoying modern term, hidden in plain sight.

Yeah, I know where it is now. Between two choruses (or after a chorus?) towards the ending, no?

It's semantics, but I believe that's a keyboard playing a string sample, or something? If it's a horn sample it's a really cheap instrument smiling smiley

Date: October 25, 2018 18:09

Definitely not a horn sample. I meant it takes the place in the arrangement of where brass would go.

And yes, you're correct where it's at in the song.

It might be a keyboard then as you're saying. I think of it as a synth. From that perspective, what about "Winning Ugly" or "Primitive Cool?" Are those synths or just keyboards playing programs?

I suppose I don't know the difference. Should have paid more attention to Herbie Hancock's "RockSchool" decades ago instead of laughing when every other example was Midge Ure.

Date: October 25, 2018 18:31

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Yeah, I know where it is now. Between two choruses (or after a chorus?) towards the ending, no?

It's semantics, but I believe that's a keyboard playing a string sample, or something? If it's a horn sample it's a really cheap instrument smiling smiley

Exactly, re.'semantics'. After 86 keys are pretty much what a synth was/is. Once MIDI and samples were in every keyboard, there we are.
"Back to Zero" and "Winning Ugly" are definitely synth heavy. The main guitar riff in "Winning" is a synth double.
But I was gong to post about 'Shattered" - I do not hear a synth at all. What is interesting about that transition is that Ronnie has another slide guitar coming in from underneath the pedal steel to smoosh that whole thing back into the groove.

Date: October 25, 2018 18:37

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Exactly, re.'semantics'. After 86 keys are pretty much what a synth was/is. Once MIDI and samples were in every keyboard, there we are.
"Back to Zero" and "Winning Ugly" are definitely synth heavy. The main guitar riff in "Winning" is a synth double.
But I was gong to post about 'Shattered" - I do not hear a synth at all. What is interesting about that transition is that Ronnie has another slide guitar coming in from underneath the pedal steel to smoosh that whole thing back into the groove.

What do you hear in the left channel in the clip I posted? Listen closely to the last note. Sounds like a synth "vibrato", no?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 25, 2018 19:06

Ruby Tuesday live...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 25, 2018 23:49

Keyboard if you prefer.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

Date: October 25, 2018 23:57

powerage78
Keyboard if you prefer.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

There is a difference between Fender Rhodes (which he is using in concert to beef up the riffs) and a synth.

Date: October 25, 2018 23:59

Chances are there is a keyboard just about everywhere live when Chuck think it's time to fill up the sound..

Date: October 26, 2018 00:04

powerage78
Chances are there is a keyboard just about everywhere live when Chuck think it's time to fill up the sound..

Yeah, maybe he'll do the opening riffs as well...smoking smiley

Date: October 26, 2018 00:06

He already did.

Date: October 26, 2018 08:42

powerage78
He already did.

Yeah, on She's A Rainbow..

Date: October 26, 2018 14:02

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

What do you hear in the left channel in the clip I posted? Listen closely to the last note. Sounds like a synth "vibrato", no?

I don't hear it. And I can't imagine the Stones o/d a synth just to boost a transition from solo; esp. in '78. But just because I don't hear it, doesn't mean it isn't there. I trust your ear Dandy.
Often crazy overtones and reverberations create new sounds. Like anyone playing in a band in small room at hi volume knows.
Or it's like that crazy Trombone on "Carol" that no one can really pin down.

Date: October 26, 2018 14:07

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

I don't hear it. And I can't imagine the Stones o/d a synth just to boost a transition from solo; esp. in '78. But just because I don't hear it, doesn't mean it isn't there. I trust your ear Dandy.
Often crazy overtones and reverberations create new sounds. Like anyone playing in a band in small room at hi volume knows.
Or it's like that crazy Trombone on "Carol" that no one can really pin down.

Those three notes are crazy, but fitting. And I don't mean in a Woody on pedal steel or slide guitar-kinda way smiling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 26, 2018 22:18

The sound being described in shattered reminds me of a kind of a high pitched sound on the last part of She Was Hot. Could this be synth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 22:19 by ryanpow.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 27, 2018 01:08

Matt Clifford's synth harp on Miss You ...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 27, 2018 01:14

shortfatfanny
Matt Clifford's synth harp on Miss You ...

Ohh Good that's right. Thanks for reminding me.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home