Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Early UK Slide Guitarists (apart from Brian)
Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 25, 2015 15:08

Brian was one of the early UK slide guitarists. I wondered who else from the UK was using a slide before the so-called Blues Boom.
I can suggest Colin Manley of Liverpool's Remo 4 - there is a tape of them playing at the Iron Door club in 1961 and he plays a pretty amazing version of Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk (inspiration for Peter Green's Albatross)- he's using something as a slide but i was quite taken aback by his performance as blues bottle/slide was such a rarity in the UK at that time and i never imagined a Merseybeat band would be using one. Manley was highly regarded by many Liverpool guitarists.
Who else was using one back then in the UK ? Alexis Korner ??
any suggestions for further listening ?

Re: Early UK Slide Guitarists (apart from Brian)
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 26, 2015 02:44

Dave Kelly, Tony McPhee, Tom McGuiness, Alexis Korner,

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:01

John Mayall too

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:39

Don't forget:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:45

Come On
Don't forget:

thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2015 13:41

George Formby...blimey so underneath that cheeky chappy exterior was a man bedevilled by the blues. That could explain why all the buildings at the crossroads had very clean windows.
Dave Kelly, Tony McPhee, Tom McGuiness- didn't these guys show up sliding well after 1963 ? I know Tom McGuiness from his work with Manfred Mann. Was he using slide before he joined them ?
Obviously Alexis had been doing his thing for several years before the Stones as had John Mayall.
Later on you get Jeff Beck (Yardbirds - Steeled Blues), Jeremy Spencer (whose Elmore James stylings are pretty amazing the first couple of times) etc...
Brian does appear to have been in a pretty select club in this pre-63 era.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2015 22:12

ash
George Formby...blimey so underneath that cheeky chappy exterior was a man bedevilled by the blues. That could explain why all the buildings at the crossroads had very clean windows.
Dave Kelly, Tony McPhee, Tom McGuiness- didn't these guys show up sliding well after 1963 ? I know Tom McGuiness from his work with Manfred Mann. Was he using slide before he joined them ?
Obviously Alexis had been doing his thing for several years before the Stones as had John Mayall.
Later on you get Jeff Beck (Yardbirds - Steeled Blues), Jeremy Spencer (whose Elmore James stylings are pretty amazing the first couple of times) etc...
Brian does appear to have been in a pretty select club in this pre-63 era.

Yeah, but did anybody do what Brian did, take basically an acoustic, or country idea, and forge it onto a rock song, which is what he did with I Wanna Be Your Man?

Date: October 27, 2015 13:22

Well apparently not. It would seem that even using bottleneck at that time was pretty radical in the UK. In the post-war era to 1963, we've only managed to come up with George Formby, Alexis, Mayall, Colin Manley and Brian.
You'll get no argument from me about Brian's work on I Wanna Be Your Man. Absolutely effing storming.
Bill's bass is pretty awesome too.
I wish there was a way to combine the Stones verses and solo with The Beatles chorus( with all those fab backing vocals in particular Paul). That would be the best of both worlds. I might have a bash at that sometime.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 27, 2015 19:08

George Formby played the ukelele, so how is he an example of an 'early U.K. slide-guitarist'?

Date: October 28, 2015 12:45

I was humouring Come On but there is a technique of slides on the ukelele. Admittedly it isn't exactly what we're talking about which is using an implement such as a bottle neck for slides.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 28, 2015 13:00

Brian Knight.
[www.cyrildavies.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home