Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any IORR-ians who saw The Stones LIVE during 1963-1967?
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: July 6, 2011 21:00

Please tell me (us) your stories... Especially interested in British "Ballroom" Tour 1963, US 1964, Holland 1964, 1966, 1967, Australia 1965, Germany 1965-66-67...

Re: Any IORR-ians who saw The Stones LIVE during 1963-1967?
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: July 6, 2011 23:35

Sorry only from Hyde Park.
But someone on this site I know well went to shows in 66 I think Check out Alan Powells posts if you can find them
Hes a real fan not just a fine weather fan. Still living in hopes of a 2012 tour.

Posted by: finn ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:15

Hi all
First time i saw the Stones was their first visit i Denmark. March 1965 in Fyens Forum, Odense, Denmark. It was a fantastic experience. I'll never forget it. The only bad thing was the all the screaming girls.
Last time I saw Charlie Watts was on my birthday on March 15.2011 in Hamburg with the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie. He was really looking good. Also a fantastic
concert.
Regards
Finn
PS excuse my poor Inglish

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:23

finn
Hi all
First time i saw the Stones was their first visit i Denmark. March 1965 in Fyens Forum, Odense, Denmark. It was a fantastic experience. I'll never forget it. The only bad thing was the all the screaming girls.
Last time I saw Charlie Watts was on my birthday on March 15.2011 in Hamburg with the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie. He was really looking good. Also a fantastic
concert.
Regards
Finn
PS excuse my poor Inglish

Post more, please. smiling smiley

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:31

Finn! was amazing read your post! please tell us more about a 60's concert experience!

Posted by: jonnyclairton ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:48

June 1965 Pittsburgh,Pa.Civic Arena...on the bill with the Byrds,Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles,Paul Revere and the Raiders,I forget who else 'cause it doesn't matter,it was Exciting..can't remember much else. then in 1966(same venue) on the bill with the McCoys,the Standels...and others...someone got shocked(Brian?)and the show was delayed a while...I remember Stupid Girl,That's How Strong...Cloud,I'm Free,and the "Warhorses"....no more Stones til '72 (same venue)with Stevie Wonder..I remember it wasn't LOUD enuff...but we all dug it,esp.Rambler and All Down the Line!

Date: July 7, 2011 00:58

I remember Keith and Bills black hair and Brian's "white" hair in the spotlight.
I also remember The Stones played very well - like You ware listen the there records!
I recently bought the book:
The Lost Rolling Stones Photographs - The Bob Bonis Archive, 1964-1966
Larry Marion, Foreword by Charlie Watts. Foto's from this book reminds me of the concert in Odense.
Regards
Finn

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 7, 2011 01:11

King Bee - posts more frequently as 'Stewed n Keefed' over on Rocks Off - first saw the Stones at the Rochester Odeon on 1st November 1963, their first British tour. His next Stones concert was Hyde Park in '69.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2011 01:13

Didn't Havo see them at the Wildbuhe, Berlin in 65?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 7, 2011 01:45

<<March 1965 in Fyens Forum, Odense, Denmark>>

Hey finn, nice story. There's a few pics at www.fynskebilleder.dk from the event

photographer unknown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 01:47 by Sohoe.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 7, 2011 01:51

This is a great thread. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 7, 2011 04:01

Fantastic photos Sohoe! Thanks for posting cool smiley. Note those rebellious Stones are all wearing proper suit jackets and looking so very "professional" here. Love those original Rolling Stones!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 7, 2011 05:04

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl, July '66. (Of course, I've posted about this before). Opening acts were Buffalo Springfield (relatively unknown at the time, and who knew what they would become??), The Standells, and The McCoys (Hang on Sloopy). The Stones were dressed in the same clothes you see on the Got Live if You Want It album cover. Their setlist was very similar to the tracks on that album as well. It was an incredible experience. just electric! I clearly remember Mick saying, "Our own Charlie Watts is going to introduce the next song." Charlie stepped out from behind the drum kit and introduced Lady Jane. I really couldn't believe I was seeing the Rolling Stones live. There were screaming girls all around me. The Stones were the coolest guys in the universe at the time. I remember Mick being the consummate front man, dancing, prancing, and playing with the crowd. I only wish that I had taken a camera.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2011 07:46

DaveG
I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl, July '66. (Of course, I've posted about this before). Opening acts were Buffalo Springfield (relatively unknown at the time, and who knew what they would become??), The Standells, and The McCoys (Hang on Sloopy). The Stones were dressed in the same clothes you see on the Got Live if You Want It album cover. Their setlist was very similar to the tracks on that album as well. It was an incredible experience. just electric! I clearly remember Mick saying, "Our own Charlie Watts is going to introduce the next song." Charlie stepped out from behind the drum kit and introduced Lady Jane. I really couldn't believe I was seeing the Rolling Stones live. There were screaming girls all around me. The Stones were the coolest guys in the universe at the time. I remember Mick being the consummate front man, dancing, prancing, and playing with the crowd. I only wish that I had taken a camera.

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005. Mick said something to the effect, "We played here in 1966. The prices have changed, but the setlist hasn't."

Posted by: TOOTSIE ()
Date: July 7, 2011 07:52

1965 and 1966 AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: July 7, 2011 09:55

If I was born just 15 years sooner !!!!
I would have been there in 63-65 too.
I was just a munchkin in the 60s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 10:30 by M4000D.

Date: July 7, 2011 10:35

Thank You for uploading the pictures, I didn't know they exist. The only picture I've got is a photo with the other guys I followed with, on our way to Odense.
Regards
Finn

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 7, 2011 10:55

My wife saw them on 6th October 1963 at the Cardiff Capital Theatre,,,,,also had her Valex show souvenir 'program' signed by Mick,,,,which she still has......cost 2 shillings, (10 pence or 20 cents).... the program that is, not the signature..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 10:57 by EddieByword.

Date: July 7, 2011 11:02

It's interesting that all the guys who answered this thread are names you don't see popping up often, or never at all. Are they wise?

Date: July 7, 2011 12:28

I think some us are wise. My Inglish is limited/poor more or less, since I've only have one year Inglish in the school in 1960. That's holding me back in this forum. I'm a Stones fan since 1963. First time I heard them was on Radio Luxemburg.
My first LP was with the Stones. I have always collecting their music. In 1996
when I came on the net, I thought I have every thing with the Stones. On the net I realize I have only the official stuff!
Then I started with visithing CD boers and trading for bootlegs. Now of days you mostly download. I'm quit satisfied with my collection today, especial studio outtakes.
Regards
Finn
from Denmark

Date: July 7, 2011 12:41

really nice stories! please continue to share your experiences....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 7, 2011 17:51

Great read !
Please go on posting .
I remember whiskey from Australia telling me about his 1st show in the mid sixties ..hope he'll see that thread .smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 7, 2011 18:28

The Stones played at the Cellar club,Kingston 12th September 1963.I was born and bred in Kingston but was 12 at the time and did not know of this gig.They played Kingston Granada on 13th February 1964 and I did want to go to this show.A few of us wanted to go from school,but in the end none of us went through various reasons.Mine was that mum said I gotta stay home that night and do my homework.Never did see them live until the '90's. sad smiley

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:13

welllllllllll, how about an 'supposed' almost?? lol

The Stones played in Detroit (Cobo Hall I think) in July of '66. I was 10 years old at the time. My sister told me in later years that had I not gotten into trouble when I had stayed at her house the one week I was there (she lived in Port Huron at the time), that Dad would have let me go see them. And I remember laughing in her face ... "Yeah, sure, right!!! OUR dad who HATED the Stones and the influence that Brian & band had then on his 10 year old daughter, is gonna let this same daughter to to DOWNTOWN Detroit and wander around to see them?????" I don't think soooooooooooo....

so that's my story, and sadly, never got to see them live with Brian ... sad smiley((((((((
But I'm really loving the stories and pics from u all that did, so I guess I live vicariously thru u guys grinning smiley
---------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 01:15 by MissNBrian.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:36

I'm afraid I was another young 60s teenager whose Mum didn't like the idea of her daughter visiting places like the Crawdaddy or Eel Pie Island. So only TV memories from those days.

Date: July 8, 2011 02:15

If I do understand well, there where a lot of 'Mummy's' in the 60's who didn't like the Stones....also there was a lot of homework to be done....

Anyway.....please continue with your stories...

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 8, 2011 15:20

Perth, Feb 1965

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 8, 2011 15:26

Sohoe's last photo is roughly how far away I was from the stage

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 6, 2012 03:41

Sorry, I came upon this in a very indirect route.
I went to that concert in Detroit.
It was my first time to see the Stones.
I sat on Brians side of the stage.
What a memorable night!
Wish I could find some pics of that night.
That's how I came across your note.
Sorry you didn't get to go.

Marv

quote=MissNBrian]
welllllllllll, how about an 'supposed' almost?? lol

The Stones played in Detroit (Cobo Hall I think) in July of '66. I was 10 years old at the time. My sister told me in later years that had I not gotten into trouble when I had stayed at her house the one week I was there (she lived in Port Huron at the time), that Dad would have let me go see them. And I remember laughing in her face ... "Yeah, sure, right!!! OUR dad who HATED the Stones and the influence that Brian & band had then on his 10 year old daughter, is gonna let this same daughter to to DOWNTOWN Detroit and wander around to see them?????" I don't think soooooooooooo....

so that's my story, and sadly, never got to see them live with Brian ... sad smiley((((((((
But I'm really loving the stories and pics from u all that did, so I guess I live vicariously thru u guys grinning smiley
---------------------------------------[/quote]

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 6, 2012 04:02

Love the pictures of the ecstatic girls! After the Sixties most people were "too cool" to get excited like that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home