Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones at Municipal Stadium ,Cleveland, USA June 1975
Posted by: TatooMe ()
Date: July 7, 2011 18:22

Found this at setlist.fm
As I posted earlier I was there and pretty stoned.
I do not remember Angie, Heartbreaker, or Luxury.
Our group was about 75ft from the stage on the right.
Highlights for me were IYCRM/GOOMC,SF, and FF.
I didn't think it was a particularly good night for the band but it could have been just me.
I do remember being impressed with Mick's energy and acrobatic moves.

Honky Tonk Women
All Down the Line
If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud
Star Star
Gimme Shelter
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
You Gotta Move
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Luxury
Heartbreaker
Fingerprint File
Angie
Wild Horses
That's Life
Outta Space
Brown Sugar
Midnight Rambler
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Rip This Joint
Street Fighting Man
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:19

Of course is available as audience (at least 3 different sources) and snippets in SB, meaning somewhere there is a complete SB tape.

Mathijs

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2011 23:56

Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones
May be some Iorreans here ? :-)

Photo George Shuba

Don't know about that particular show, but it looks much like my first Stones show '78 in Philly. After the first ecstatic sprint across the empty field, and setting up as close to the stage as possible, this is how we spent the next 10- 12 hours. At first it's all about 'rock'n roll community spirit'; "ah, thanks for the joint, man - here, try a hit of my stuff..", then it turns into "quit standing so close", and "don't breathe my air!"
It was incredible though: everything evaporated the minute the Stones came on; nothing else mattered.

That's really close to my experience in Cleveland '78, except add bikers who were playing with knives amongst each other. Then when the Stones came on and the crowd surged forward I had to force my way out of the crowd. My date was a petite Japanese girl and the crowd had closed over her and she couldn't breathe. It was scary.

Date: July 9, 2011 01:16

24FPS
Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones

Photo George Shuba

Don't know about that particular show, but it looks much like my first Stones show '78 in Philly. After the first ecstatic sprint across the empty field, and setting up as close to the stage as possible, this is how we spent the next 10- 12 hours. At first it's all about 'rock'n roll community spirit'; "ah, thanks for the joint, man - here, try a hit of my stuff..", then it turns into "quit standing so close", and "don't breathe my air!"
It was incredible though: everything evaporated the minute the Stones came on; nothing else mattered.

That's really close to my experience in Cleveland '78, except add bikers who were playing with knives amongst each other. Then when the Stones came on and the crowd surged forward I had to force my way out of the crowd. My date was a petite Japanese girl and the crowd had closed over her and she couldn't breathe. It was scary.

This is very very odd, LOL. Because we rode down to Philly (from NYC where we live) with a bunch of bikers on a bus. then my girlfriend too, got sick and couldn't breathe. I was just getting ready to sacrifice all our hard time down there, and wrestle our way out to get her some breathing room, when the Stones came on. That is what I meant "everything evaporated". The second they came on, it was all alright.

Posted by: wandlimb ()
Date: July 9, 2011 02:27

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS
Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones

Photo George Shuba

This is very very odd, LOL. Because we rode down to Philly (from NYC where we live) with a bunch of bikers on a bus. then my girlfriend too, got sick and couldn't breathe. I was just getting ready to sacrifice all our hard time down there, and wrestle our way out to get her some breathing room, when the Stones came on. That is what I meant "everything evaporated". The second they came on, it was all alright.

Since this seems to be the thread that will not die, I will share the review I wrote when I was 15 years old:

A Day to Remember: Stones Concert!
By Karla Tipton
June 14, 1975

It was a blistering hot day in June, with a gentle breeze blowing up from the lake every once in a while. It was the kind of day that is perfect to cool it by the pool and to make it in the shade and to generally take it easy. But it definitely was not the kind of day to sit in the center of a huge baseball field in the midst of 82,500 people for 12 straight hours to watch a rock concert – even if someone great like the Rolling Stones were going to play.

But there we were, and not strangely enough, because the Rolling Stones were going to play.

When we finally had gotten through the traffic-clogged streets and had arrived at the Cleveland Stadium, we found a stubborn crowd had congregated in front of Gate A. With a little pushing, though, and a lot of luck, we managed to inch our way through it, and to enter the thickly populated halls below the stands.

There, we nonchalantly surrendered the $10.50 tickets that we had held so near to our hearts for so long, and continued the slow journey upward into the marijuana-fragranced air.

Our first glimpses of the inside of the stadium was that of a sea of endless people – eating, drinking and sprawling their way across the immense baseball field. We saw the tiny yellow speck that was the stage, but that in actuality was nearly 35 feet high, including the tent-like canopy over it, and 175 feet long. To us, though, it appeared only as a tiny, yellow speck, blurred by distance and smoky haze.

Being the stubborn Stones fan that I was, and knowing we’d never really see them if we sat in the stands, I decided right then that we had to find a place, and a good place, to sit in that field.

I soon found out, though, that my resolution was easier said than done, for in the field, there was hardly room to walk. Yes, it did look futile, and my friend Kathie, the true Stones fan that she was, even suggested we move to the stands.

I was determined, however, and so cautiously (and then not so cautiously), we tiptoed through and around the thick masses of people.

Finally, along with standing for what seemed like an eternity, and along with getting cussed out several times, we found a little room to squat and then eventually to sit, about 50 feet from the stage. And all things considered, those were darn good seats.

We then began our long wait through that hot, sticky afternoon in about one square foot of space each, sometimes less, and got high just breathing the smoke-filled air.

About an hour later, our suffering began. Both my legs fell asleep, there was an acute pain where my back was, and everything from my lips to my kidneys were as dry as the Sahara. I felt sure I was dying, and that if I didn’t get a drink of something soon, I would dehydrate and miss the Stones.

I croaked to my companion that if she saw anything liquid being passed around, to grab it. I saw it first, though, and even in my weakened condition, I managed to ask if I could please have some. It was only water, and as hot as if it had been boiled, but it was liquid and it saved me from a very early and dry death.

Everything wet that passed near us after that I didn’t fail to confiscate, and with a little luck, we even ended up with a couple slices of watermelon and a grapefruit.

During all of this thirst-quenching, I hardly noticed Tower of Power or the J. Geils Band, except for the fact that it went on for an eternity. Everyone else was standing up but us, and so we had room to actually lie down.

All said, by the time the Stones came onstage, the sun had almost disappeared and we crazy people in the field had baked to a golden brown for nearly nine hours.

Then they were there, and the were singing “Honky Tonk Women” and the crowd was on its feet and we were screaming and trying to see over the mob in front of us. Then as the people settle down a bit, and as the Stones got on with their playing, we caught glimpses of them through the bobbing heads.

I noticed that each Stone was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing, and exactly what I had always seen him doing, only now there wasn’t a TV screen between us. It was weird how a flash of green, meaning Mick, or a flash of white, meaning Keith, or a flash of red, meaning Ronnie Wood, could make that whole miserable afternoon of waiting worthwhile.

Or how a cymbal crash from Charlie could generate such excitement. Or how seeing serious ol’ Bill smile during “Midnight Rambler” can send thrilling shivers up your spine.

Strange? Not really. After all, isn’t that what the Stones are all about?

Then, after almost two hours of non-stop rock and roll, all realized with regret that it would have to end soon, and with “Jumping Jack Flash,” it did. And even though it was night, it was still as hot as an oven. I suppose Mick felt it, too, for suddenly he produced a firehose and gave the first 20 feet of fans a much desired cold shower. Then, suddenly, the hose had disappeared and Mick was thanking us (him thanking us?) and saying goodnight. And then they all were gone as quickly as they had come.

The crowd cheered for an encore, but Kathie and I knew there would be none, for there never was with the Stones.

And somewhere between smothering in the heat of the summer night and the sweat of the rushing people, and hearing the exploding of fireworks overhead, I suddenly realized that I had just witnessed the greatest rock and roll band in the world. And as we were making our escape through the crowded corridors below the stands, I smiled to myself and whispered a quiet farewell to those great Rolling Stones.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 9, 2011 10:03

"I noticed that each Stone was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing, and exactly what I had always seen him doing, only now there wasn’t a TV screen between us. It was weird how a flash of green, meaning Mick, or a flash of white, meaning Keith, or a flash of red, meaning Ronnie Wood, could make that whole miserable afternoon of waiting worthwhile."

What an amazing line.

Date: July 9, 2011 10:12

also - it's funny - i was about her age at this time and saw my first show 6/22 in nyc- it was sort of a glamorous night - the garden was all sparkling and festive - I remember the AC being CRANKED in there - real warm and muggy outside - strangely crisp and cool inside - like royalty was expected.

Little did I know how Cleveland had been just a week before.

what a contrast - no opening acts - startling neon pinks, reds and purples illuminating that elegant stage - almost like a broadway show - a 180 from Cleveland - but taken together - that was TOTA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-09 10:21 by hbwriter.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: July 9, 2011 15:53

My first Stones Show as well!

Date: July 9, 2011 17:31

hbwriter
also - it's funny - i was about her age at this time and saw my first show 6/22 in nyc- it was sort of a glamorous night - the garden was all sparkling and festive - I remember the AC being CRANKED in there - real warm and muggy outside - strangely crisp and cool inside - like royalty was expected.

what a contrast - no opening acts - startling neon pinks, reds and purples illuminating that elegant stage - almost like a broadway show - a 180 from Cleveland - but taken together - that was TOTA

hbwriter, thank you for your comments and observations. I went on to be a rock journalist for a local newspaper north of Los Angeles during the 1980s, but got burned out on the music industry and quit. (I kept thinking, I don't want to end up old, grumpy and arrogant like Robert Hilburn.)

Karla

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 9, 2011 19:56

hbwriter
"I noticed that each Stone was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing, and exactly what I had always seen him doing, only now there wasn’t a TV screen between us. It was weird how a flash of green, meaning Mick, or a flash of white, meaning Keith, or a flash of red, meaning Ronnie Wood, could make that whole miserable afternoon of waiting worthwhile."

What an amazing line.

Indeed, Karla's whole essay brought it back to me in sharper perspective, perhaps because it was fresh in her mind when she wrote it. I've worked very hard to remember every nuance of that special day and he description was a joy to behold.

I have a ghastly boot of that show but I might just have to trot it out today.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: July 9, 2011 22:10

I was at this show. This was my second tour, the first being 1972. I remember the band doing a great version of You Gotta Move at this show.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 9, 2011 22:37

hbwriter

Mine was the same, except it was the LA Forum. It was over 100 that day, July 10,
and back then the LA smog was awful. Plus, I had to do 2 paper routes that afternoon. Indeed, I remember the AC being cranked up in the Forum.
The other thing I remember is getting a tiny peak at the lotus stage from the outside of the arena, you know where you buy drinks, popcorn, where the bathrooms are located. Then when we got to our seats and took it all in, the stage, the Chinese decorations hanging from the ceiling, it was kinda like looking at your Christmas presents: What is that stage? I wonder what's gonna happen.
Anytime I walk into a stadium or arena now, my mind always goes back to that night when I was 12 years old.

Date: July 10, 2011 03:11

tomk
hbwriter

Mine was the same, except it was the LA Forum. It was over 100 that day, July 10,
and back then the LA smog was awful. Plus, I had to do 2 paper routes that afternoon. Indeed, I remember the AC being cranked up in the Forum.
The other thing I remember is getting a tiny peak at the lotus stage from the outside of the arena, you know where you buy drinks, popcorn, where the bathrooms are located. Then when we got to our seats and took it all in, the stage, the Chinese decorations hanging from the ceiling, it was kinda like looking at your Christmas presents: What is that stage? I wonder what's gonna happen.
Anytime I walk into a stadium or arena now, my mind always goes back to that night when I was 12 years old.

Wow, you saw the Stones when you were 12...that is so cool. My mom put my friend's and my hair up in dog-ear ponytails and we looked like we were 12. Does that count? : )

Karla

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 10, 2011 09:30

wandlimb
tomk
hbwriter

Wow, you saw the Stones when you were 12...that is so cool. My mom put my friend's and my hair up in dog-ear ponytails and we looked like we were 12. Does that count? : )

Karla

I saw George Harrison a few months before that, right after I turned 12.
I went with my best friend at the time, my next-door neighbor. I think he was a year older than me. Got to hand it to my folks who let me go. They knew what went on at concerts back then; they weren't stupid. They trusted me. Besides, I had no idea about pot, beer, dope, whatever. I just loved the music, even at 1t age 12.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 10, 2011 15:19

Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones

Photo George Shuba

Jesus...the title of that photo should read TEENAGE WASTELAND. Classic mid-70's rock concert mob. Wish I could go back there again...

Palace Revolution 2000, seems like you and I were side by side in Philly that June in 1978. I also drove down from NYC and was one of the many thousands who was there the day before and found the parking lot to be one big open-air Stones bash. A thrill. I was one of the first guys on that field that morning...ran like the wind down the steps of that decrepit JFK stadium as the doors opened and hit the grass field flying...you were were probably right next to me...and you perfectly describe it, "the first ecstatic sprint across the empty field, and setting up as close to the stage as possible...". Running across that field was utterly exhilarating after spending the last hours on the concrete and dirt fields outside the stadium...I saw nothing but open field and a stage in front of me...it was as if I was completely alone for a brief instant and I was the first person to get to the stage and we probably set up right next to each other in the front...a few moments later a sea of humanity appeared next to us and swallowed us whole...to be young and happy and front of stage at a Stones concert in the 70's was as close to heaven as you could get...

...and thankyou Sway Stones for a classic photo!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 20:19

organicjoe
Woody did you see at the close when one of the fireworks went into the crowd

Do not recall that, but what I do remember is waiting in the huge crowd for the stadium to open early that morning. It was GA on the field and everyone was OF COURSE jammed up against the gates awaiting the opening. There was a young guy, teenager maybe, inside the stadium, looking out onto the huge crowd from an upstairs window. He thought he'd be cute and throw his bannana peel down into the waiting crowd. As soon as he did, the anxious crowd returned fire at him with bottles, cans rocks and whatever, and broke out every window on that side of the stadium. The gates opened (quite ahead of schedule) shortly after that. Incredible crush getting into the stadium.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: July 10, 2011 22:29

Turd On The Run
Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones

Photo George Shuba

Jesus...the title of that photo should read TEENAGE WASTELAND. Classic mid-70's rock concert mob. Wish I could go back there again...

Palace Revolution 2000, seems like you and I were side by side in Philly that June in 1978. I also drove down from NYC and was one of the many thousands who was there the day before and found the parking lot to be one big open-air Stones bash. A thrill. I was one of the first guys on that field that morning...ran like the wind down the steps of that decrepit JFK stadium as the doors opened and hit the grass field flying...you were were probably right next to me...and you perfectly describe it, "the first ecstatic sprint across the empty field, and setting up as close to the stage as possible...". Running across that field was utterly exhilarating after spending the last hours on the concrete and dirt fields outside the stadium...I saw nothing but open field and a stage in front of me...it was as if I was completely alone for a brief instant and I was the first person to get to the stage and we probably set up right next to each other in the front...a few moments later a sea of humanity appeared next to us and swallowed us whole...to be young and happy and front of stage at a Stones concert in the 70's was as close to heaven as you could get...

picture i took yesterday while covering MayHem Festival - some things never change smiling smiley

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 11, 2011 04:39

Turd On The Run
Palace Revolution 2000
SwayStones

Photo George Shuba

Yeah, Turd, that sprint was the release! Like you said: the parking lot all night was one huge party. We had saved a lot of $ on the ride down by winning 3 of the 4 tix we needed in a raffle on the bus from the bikers, LOL. Now, today looking back I believe they just gave them all to us because we were all little kids basically. So we .. 'invested heavily' with the funds.
Just curious: you said you drove down from NYC too; it wasn't by any chance w/ a whole crew w/ The Hell's Angels from E 3rd?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 11, 2011 20:18

I wouldn't have expected the Cleveland show to bring back such nice memories .
I am more than pleased to read it and even more,to read what some posters that hadn't write on IORR for a long while wrote here .smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: July 11, 2011 21:36

the headlines:

[imageshack.us]

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: July 11, 2011 21:38

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home