Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Q&A with Chuck Leavell
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:58

The Rolling Stone’s Chuck Leavell takes the Chastain Park Amphitheatre stage with Michelle Malone and Athens staple Russell Bramblett to celebrate the conservation of Atlanta’s 168-acre park Friday night. Leavell is the proud caretaker of the 2,500 acre tree farm, Charlane Plantation in Macon, as well as the co-founder of the popular sustainability website Mother Nature Network. When he’s not touring with the Stones, Leavell is writing books and delivering speeches on Capitol Hill to urge Americans to fight for forestry conservation. Leavell is eager to play Rock Chastain, a gig combining his passion for music and the environment. He talked to the Athens-Banner Herald from the backroads of his farm about music, conservation and the celebration of both at Friday’s show.

ABH: When did you first fall in love with music?

CL: When I was probably 5 years old. My mother played the piano, I would tug on her skirt and ask her to play something . That was when my first joy came. But I knew I wanted to pursue music when I was around twelve years old. My sister Judy had a date to see Ray Charles in Tuscaloosa at the coliseum. My parents had an obligation so they hinted to my sister to take me along. She was kind enough to obliged. I had never seen a performance that powerful before. It absolutely wooed me and really quite honestly changed my life. Later in my career I actually got to play a concert with Ray in Europe. That was certainly the dream come true for me.

ABH: What do you most about playing music?

CL: Music is a great joy for me to play, and I’ve been fortunate to work with so many different artists. A lot of the joy for me is about the diversity, whether it’s playing with the Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton or the Allman Brothers Band or John Mayer. It might be playing in my own band. It’s just a real honor and a joy for me to be able to do it in these various different settings.

ABH: You have accomplished more as a musician than many could even dream of. What was the most significant moment of your musical career and why?

CL: I can throw a couple at you. I had just turned 20 years old, and I was touring with the Allman Brothers Band and recording the “Brothers and Sisters” album in 1972. We played a record-setting show in Watkinsville, New York that had the Allman Brothers Band, the Grateful Dead and The Band. Over 600,000 people showed up. Then of course, in 1981, I got the call to audition for the Rolling Stones. That went very well, and I ended up getting that position in 1982. Through those 33 years, there have been many, many special times. But one of the most special was on the Bigger Bang tour playing in Rio De Janiero for a million and a half people. That was certainly a night to remember. For me, I think the ultimate joy is seeing what you do affect other people, which could be in a number of ways.

ABH: Friday’s show at Chastain is a celebration of conserving Georgia roots, both musical and ecological. Can you tell me about your relationship Atlanta music scene and the musicians you will be performing with?

CL: My Georgia roots are very, very strong. I’ve lived here for such a long time. I got started at Capricorn Records in Macon and started interacting with different musicians. I joined the Allman Brothers, and then my career branched out from there. But I’ve also played on records with Michelle. Recently, Randall and Michelle joined me in a salute to Georgia music with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. I was the musical director and it centered around me and Robert McDuffy. I had Michelle sing a duet with Greg Allman. This is going to be a really great show since it’s a benefit for the park. I’m looking forward to participating in this.

ABH: Do you feel any personal to ties Rock Chastain’s cause to conserve the park?

CL: Chastain is basically an environmental setting. It’s surrounded by nature, and that is one of the great giving things about it. As an environmentalist, outdoor venues are very important to me. Chastain is a wonderful treasure that we have in the state of Georgia and the Atlanta area. It’s a very special gig. It combines my passion for the environment and music.

ABH: How does your love for nature fuel your musical inspiration?

CL: The most obvious connection as a forest land owner and as a tree farmer, is the connection between wood and music. That’s where my instrument comes from and many other musical instruments, and there is a direct physical connection in that regard. Nature is also something you can be inspired by. Whether it’s the wind through the pines, the sounds of songbirds, or the rustle of a deer dancing in the woods, it’s such a beautiful vision.

ABH: As an author and sought-out speaker on the topic of forestry conservation, what message do you hope to convey to your readers, both young and old?

CL: The message that I try to convey to others is just how important it is to realize what nature does for us. When I talk about trees and wood, I talk about how trees give us wood to build our homes and churches, paper to print books, magazines and newspapers. We use trees for energy. Trees clean our water and our air. Those are the messages I try to convey whether I’m writing books or giving presentations. Our mantra as landowners is to leave the land in better shape than we found it. That’s also a way to leave a legacy behind.

ABH: For someone who has successfully wrought his passions and talents for the greater good, what advice would you like share to future writers, musicians and/or even tree farmers?

CL: Follow your heart. Find the passion. One of the things I like to say is there’s an art to everything. If you’re passionate about whatever your calling in life is — a doctor, a lawyer, a bulldozer driver, a musician, an athlete — whatever it is, if you put your heart and soul in it and you’re willing to work hard, you’ll find the art of it. And that can be a very rewarding thing.

ABH: What do you want to tell people in Athens about the show?

CL: This is going to be a really great show. We encourage anyone in the Athens area to come down and join the party. It has a wonderful history, and I think it’s important for all of us as musicians to understand the importance and the fans to understand this as well.”

— Lauren Steffes/Staff

[onlineathens.com]

Re: Q&A with Chuck Leavell
Date: October 15, 2015 23:07

Nice read. Thanks for posting, Cristiano thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 15, 2015 23:11

It's nice that Chuck mentions that Watkins Glen festival. Chuck also appears on Laid Back by Gregg Allman, and Highway Call by Dickey Betts, which were recorded in the same era.

It's a pity no live recordings exist of Watkins Glen: the Band recordings are studio versions with audience overdubs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2015 23:23

tomcasagranda

It's a pity no live recordings exist of Watkins Glen: the Band recordings are studio versions with audience overdubs.

An audience recording is available off the Net, courtesy of Davmar77. It even has the previous-day soudcheck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 23:28 by dcba.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2015 00:23

Gotta love Chuck's passion for wood, one I happen to share.

His quote: " For me, I think the ultimate joy is seeing what you do affect other people, which could be in a number of ways" should be considered by people who claim the Stones are only doing it for the money these days. The charge of seeing people react to Brown Sugar obviously trumps the pure artistic satisfaction of playing it for the 1000th time for Mick and Keith as well, imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home