Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Paul Simon, Manchester Apollo, Sunday 3rd July 2011
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 4, 2011 17:07

Hello,

I know that this Wee Man's catalogue is musical mogadon to some but I'd beg to differ: this was my third time seeing Paul Simon solo. It was a full house and a standing ovation for him before he even got the chance to sing or play a note. Wow!

His instantly familiar voice showed no sign of any problems that led him to cancel a recent U.K. show and the band were as talented as you'd expect and multi-instrmentalists to boot: you don't often see the drummer pick up a Telecaster and make decent music, hah-hah!

At times the number of folk onstage ranged from nine, including P.S., down to only the Wee Man armed with an acoustic guitar. The band included the fellow who played bass with Simon on 'Graceland', and has been with him since.
There were no tapes or effects used: all the subtleties that you know from the studio releases were recreated organically onstage, if that makes sense. Takes some doing, I imagine.

I enjoyed most of the set-list save a couple of samey slow numbers: this sunny Sunday crowd were more than happy to get up on the good foot at any opportunity and loved the more percussive, up-tempo numbers like 'The Obvious Child'.
The songs played were a mix of the latest album ('So Beautiful Or So What'), oldies and a couple of oustanding covers: 'Mystery Train' and a sublime 'Here Comes The Sun'. Just mesmirising at times.

As well received as the latest album is, this crowd wanted to hear some Simon & Garfunkel classics. He knows it, we know it and you could almost feel the rush of anticipation when P.S. plucked the haunting intro to 'The Sounds Of Silence'. Still makes the hairs stand up after all these years: bloody hell, he wrote that in 1964!

Two hours flash by and after two encores he glad-hands a few folk at the front and finally leaves a unanimously approving audience behind. Maybe not your cup of tea, but a talented man nonetheless.

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Paul Simon, Manchester Apollo, Sunday 3rd July 2011
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 4, 2011 18:32

Just saw him in Toronto. Paul is great. An honor to see him.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2011 19:09

Saw the show in London Simon. It had some great moments but I thought he could have delved more into his S&G back catalogue or have classics like American Tune and Me & Julio. But hey, hats off for not relying solely on the war horses like some artistes do!!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 4, 2011 19:22

Hi Mike,

Yeah, the man could have played for another hour as far as the Manchester crowd were concerned: he has an artistic embarrassment of riches, hah-hah!

Surprisingly, his take on 'Here Comes The Sun' (with another guitarist and accordion player) was at least as moving as 'Sounds...': such a beauty of a song, George.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 4, 2011 20:25

I too have seen Paul three times, and I think is the only Artist I've been to see three times. Each time has been quite a different experience and the man just doesn't put a bad show on and excepting the Capeman debacle and the One trick Pony movie/soundtrack, all of his Cd's are great too.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 4, 2011 21:24

His new album is sublime. One of the absolute best of 2011 so far. Good to hear that his live show in Manchester was well received...I heard less than complimentary reviews about his Glastonbury show.

Date: July 4, 2011 23:59

national treasure.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 5, 2011 02:34

Wow,your on a roll for shows lately aren't you Si? Have heard nothing but good things about this tour. Couldn't get tickets for his San Francisco shows. Hope he comes back around again.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2011 02:45

Talking about whigs: Why doesn't Paul get one? Mick is not ashamed of his...grinning smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 5, 2011 04:12

Stoneage
Talking about whigs: Why doesn't Paul get one? Mick is not ashamed of his...grinning smiley

Paul used to have one. Balding throughout the 70s, he appeared in Central Park in 1981 with a full head of hair. I give him credit for finally taking the damn thing off. If you're bald, be bald. If you're grey, be grey.

Date: July 5, 2011 04:53

tatters
Stoneage

Paul used to have one. Balding throughout the 70s, he appeared in Central Park in 1981 with a full head of hair. I give him credit for finally taking the damn thing off. If you're bald, be bald. If you're grey, be grey.
thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: July 5, 2011 07:32

The new album is fantastic and his live show is the best I've seen in years.
I admire an artist who will play his/her new things, even though the crowd may want nothing but their favorites.
Simon plays enough of his "hits," yet leans heavily on the new album.
It cracks me up when Keith says stuff like an album isn't completed until it's played on the road when the Stones tour behind a new record and play one or two new ones and a ton of warhorses.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 5, 2011 07:58

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
Stoneage

thumbs up

Is that a wig at the Central Park gig? Oh, well.

I love Simon's stuff, but...(and here's the but)...
I get the feeling he thinks he's way smarter than his audience, almost to the point of arrogance. At times he comes across as an out-of-touch NYC intellectual.
I remember seeing an interview with him where he bitched about how people can't appreciate time signature changes; they can't understand it going from 4/4 to 12/8 to 5/4 to 2/4 to 20/38 or whatever...and this is after Graceland and Rhythm Of The Saints which sold millions and went to the top of the charts.
Great songwriter though.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 5, 2011 15:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 15:32 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2011 18:13

Paul Simon is truly an artist but the poor guy has had some obstacles to overcome. First of all his shortness, then the loss of hair. Enough to discourage any man... . Luckily God gave him talent in abundance!

Date: July 5, 2011 19:49

tomk
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
Stoneage

thumbs up

Is that a wig at the Central Park gig? Oh, well.

I love Simon's stuff, but...(and here's the but)...
I get the feeling he thinks he's way smarter than his audience, almost to the point of arrogance. At times he comes across as an out-of-touch NYC intellectual.
I remember seeing an interview with him where he bitched about how people can't appreciate time signature changes; they can't understand it going from 4/4 to 12/8 to 5/4 to 2/4 to 20/38 or whatever...and this is after Graceland and Rhythm Of The Saints which sold millions and went to the top of the charts.
Great songwriter though.
Yeah he's always had a degree of arrogance about him. But if your as talented as he is and put on as good a show,then I guess your entitled. It ain't bragging if you can back it up.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:38

Lynd8
I too have seen Paul three times, and I think is the only Artist I've been to see three times. Each time has been quite a different experience and the man just doesn't put a bad show on and excepting the Capeman debacle and the One trick Pony movie/soundtrack, all of his Cd's are great too.

He had a throat infection that week and told the crowd that too, but he still did pretty good. Between the infection and being 70 he still sounded better than a lot of rubbish being put today.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:56

Saw him at Glastonbury and wasn't impressed, having said that I was never a big fan of Graceland etc, Plenty of people in the crowd seemed to be really enjoying him, so maybe it was just me. Can't stand the jingly jangly africanesque guitar playing!

Date: July 6, 2011 00:27

crumbling_mice
Saw him at Glastonbury and wasn't impressed, having said that I was never a big fan of Graceland etc, Plenty of people in the crowd seemed to be really enjoying him, so maybe it was just me. Can't stand the jingly jangly africanesque guitar playing!
Espicially on mescaline.eye popping smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home