Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Just Want To See His Face
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:32

Sleepy City
A big reason why I think Exile is so much weaker overall than the previous 3 albums. Should've remained an outtake.

No! Fantastic atmosphere. Gritty, soulful, swinging. Sometimes on a work like Exile, the "minor" songs are a key part to why the thing works so well. This is a case in point. As for Exile being weaker, fuggedaboutit.

Date: July 5, 2011 00:33

DragonSky
Obviously some people can't be objective and are simply biased.

Yeah, you for example.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:34

4 Exile On Main St. by Rolling Stones (Rolling Stones Records) 1972X

'I Just Want To See His Face' - that song had a big impact on me, particularly learning how to sing in that high falsetto, the way Jagger does. When he sings like a girl, I go crazy. I said, 'I've got to learn how to do that.' I couldn't really do it until I stopped smoking. That's when it started getting easier to do. [Waits's own] 'Shore Leave' has that, 'All Stripped Down', 'Temptation'. Nobody does it like Mick Jagger; nobody does it like Prince. But this is just a tree of life. This record is the watering hole. Keith Richards plays his ass off. This has the Checkerboard Lounge all over it.

Tom Waits ---- It's Perfect Madness -- The Observer. March 20, 2005

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:37

Fits so well on the album....and a great album it was....their zenith...never to be reached again. Some Girls was a blip in the graph, but after Exile, it was all down hill.

Date: July 5, 2011 00:42

Rockman

'I Just Want To See His Face' - that song had a big impact on me, particularly learning how to sing in that high falsetto, the way Jagger does. When he sings like a girl, I go crazy. I said, 'I've got to learn how to do that.' I couldn't really do it until I stopped smoking. That's when it started getting easier to do. [Waits's own] 'Shore Leave' has that, 'All Stripped Down', 'Temptation'. Nobody does it like Mick Jagger; nobody does it like Prince. But this is just a tree of life. This record is the watering hole. Keith Richards plays his ass off. This has the Checkerboard Lounge all over it.

And who better to know than Tom? People who don't like Exile because it doesn't have "hits" or has a "muddy" mix are missing the whole juke joint atmosphere and gritty, twangy Southern swamp that I am convinced is the closest thing to what the Stones heard in their heads than any other record they have done. Exile is juke joints, pool halls, black churches, sweating dancers, whiskey in a cup, and a blade hidden in the sock. If someone doesn't get Exile I am sure they also don't get Howling Wolf or Tom Waits either. Probably prefer boring "rock" music - which Exile certainly isn't. Tom knows his shit, man.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 00:46 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:44

Tom Waits Musician magazine October 1987

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:47

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:50

This is a track that I skipped over alot back in 72 but over the years started to really dig it. I was always puzzled about if it was PRO Jesus or religion or ANTI... I didnt know if Mick was asking for proof as "I just wanna see his face" or impatient like I cant wait..again "I just wanna see his face"...

Date: July 5, 2011 00:53

scottkeef
This is a track that I skipped over alot back in 72 but over the years started to really dig it. I was always puzzled about if it was PRO Jesus or religion or ANTI... I didnt know if Mick was asking for proof as "I just wanna see his face" or impatient like I cant wait..again "I just wanna see his face"...

That ambiguity is one of the great things about the song...Like you, I didn't appreciate the track for years, thinking of it as close to filler. But this is one of the greatest trance-like grooves they have ever done, and the song is filled with funky atmosphere. Whenever I hear it I am ready to testify!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:54

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 5, 2011 01:28

I'm not a huge Exile fan; in fact I could do without about half the tracks on that complicated, messy album.

But this track, oh man, words cannot fully describe how much I love this one. It is, IMO, one of the most beautiful and eerie tracks the Stones have ever recorded. It's like a brief glimpse of a séance in which the Stones are channeling the very essence of gospel music, seeking redemption and exorcising the demons within. There is absolutely no self-consciousness here, no wish to impress the listener or to craft a "song"; there's simply a oneness of the band with the music. And the listener -- or at least, this listener -- is absolutely entranced.

I can see why this track is not to some people's taste. This is not a song; it is, rather, a few minutes of utterly-mesmerizing gospel ambiance. The listener is instantly transported to a ramshackle, dimly-lit Baptist church in the backwoods of the deep South on a hot and sweaty night, and the gospel choir is in full tilt. As the church organist (along with a red-hot rhythm section) lays down a riveting, swampy gospel groove, the leader of the congregation (Jagger), in an eerily-echoing, other-worldly voice, gives testament to his desperation to actually see Jesus' face (not walk and talk about him); three members of the "choir" provide brilliant backing vocals.

This is, IMO, one of the most soulful, daring and experimental tracks the Stones have ever recorded. Those who seek a traditional, fully-formed "song" are advised to look elsewhere.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 01:46 by drewmaster.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 5, 2011 02:14

71Tele
DragonSky

Yeah, you for example.

Compared to...? So every song on Exile is sacredly awesome? HA! No way. Biased would be that I think every thing the Stones did is exceptional. That is not the case.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 02:34

Love this song. Its ethereal, like Jagger is really down, lonely....and he's desparate for something real to hold onto. That's what it is to me.....an attempt at some kind of faith but with that Jagger doubt.
Musically, its hypnotic.....as Waits said. It's part of the Exile gumbo and its half-finished quality just adds to that existential vibe of Exile. Its of the moment and powerfully tangible.

Date: July 5, 2011 02:37

DragonSky
71Tele
DragonSky

Yeah, you for example.

Compared to...? So every song on Exile is sacredly awesome? HA! No way. Biased would be that I think every thing the Stones did is exceptional. That is not the case.

In the case of Exile, yes, I think every song is "sacredly awesome" (your words). No, I don't think everything the Stones have done is exceptional - far from it - but Exile certainly is. And "bias" is an odd word to use when the purpose of the site is to discuss the Stones' music and give our opinions on it. Why is my objectivity any more suspect than yours just because I like a particular album more than you?

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 5, 2011 04:32

71Tele
DragonSky
71Tele
DragonSky

Yeah, you for example.

In the case of Exile, yes, I think every song is "sacredly awesome" (your words). No, I don't think everything the Stones have done is exceptional - far from it - but Exile certainly is. And "bias" is an odd word to use when the purpose of the site is to discuss the Stones' music and give our opinions on it. Why is my objectivity any more suspect than yours just because I like a particular album more than you?

Because I can admit that the Stones have some duds and this is one of them. Even on the all mighty Exile, an album that I do love and think is great. And mostly just that this particular song is a dud compared to everything else on the album. You think every song is great, I don't. Along with other people undoubtedly.

The bias of this being a Stones forum fan board whatever does not mean that every single thing they've done is exceptional or great. Not sure how bias is an odd word to use. Some people love (enter song title here), others think it stinks. Where in the reason for liking said song from album A or B is because of the that album's uniqueness, that makes sense. But overall? That is where it gets funny and where the bias comes into play.

Just as with other songs, I do listen to them and even sing along, as is the case with this song.

Date: July 5, 2011 05:42

DragonSky
71Tele
DragonSky
71Tele
DragonSky

Yeah, you for example.

Because I can admit that the Stones have some duds and this is one of them. Even on the all mighty Exile, an album that I do love and think is great. And mostly just that this particular song is a dud compared to everything else on the album. You think every song is great, I don't. Along with other people undoubtedly.

The bias of this being a Stones forum fan board whatever does not mean that every single thing they've done is exceptional or great. Not sure how bias is an odd word to use. Some people love (enter song title here), others think it stinks. Where in the reason for liking said song from album A or B is because of the that album's uniqueness, that makes sense. But overall? That is where it gets funny and where the bias comes into play.

Just as with other songs, I do listen to them and even sing along, as is the case with this song.

It's absolutely hilarious that you are hitting me with this particular criticism. If you don't think I think the Stones can have some duds, you are obviously not very familiar with my posts. I pretty much think everything on record from Dirty Work on is a dud, and have said so frequently. Exile, on the other hand, is genius. You are entitled to your opinion. I can't stop you from thinking JWTSHF is a dud, but I do feel a bit sorry for you. And me loving it has nothing whatsoever to do with my inability to admit not everything they have done is great. Please read my earlier posts on this thread if you want to see why I love the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 05:45 by 71Tele.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 06:47

All things IJWTSHF are glorious. It is a small pocket of the NEllcot basement, with a smoky haze. Folks have packed up. Moved on, and Mick is there in his trance. Loving every groove of the swamp vibe. Every sinister slinky spanish moss covered second. How is this possible from a couple of English boys? HOW! Unearthly in its beauty. And it TESTIFIES! I am glad I feel its light, love and decay.

Date: July 5, 2011 07:37

whitem8
All things IJWTSHF are glorious. It is a small pocket of the NEllcot basement, with a smoky haze. Folks have packed up. Moved on, and Mick is there in his trance. Loving every groove of the swamp vibe. Every sinister slinky spanish moss covered second. How is this possible from a couple of English boys? HOW! Unearthly in its beauty. And it TESTIFIES! I am glad I feel its light, love and decay.

thumbs up How, indeed? They went down to the Crossroads for this one, whitem8.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 5, 2011 07:50

Silver Dagger
The track shimmers

yes it sure does

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 5, 2011 09:05

71Tele
Rockman

And who better to know than Tom? People who don't like Exile because it doesn't have "hits" or has a "muddy" mix are missing the whole juke joint atmosphere and gritty, twangy Southern swamp that I am convinced is the closest thing to what the Stones heard in their heads than any other record they have done. Exile is juke joints, pool halls, black churches, sweating dancers, whiskey in a cup, and a blade hidden in the sock. If someone doesn't get Exile I am sure they also don't get Howling Wolf or Tom Waits either. Probably prefer boring "rock" music - which Exile certainly isn't. Tom knows his shit, man.

Really well put 71 Tele. thumbs up

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 5, 2011 16:35

I used to not like it so much. However its this type of diversity that makes Exile work so well it just fits. Please do not compare with Dirty Work songs the songs on Exile are so much better its not funny. This track fits very well on Exile a great vibe.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 5, 2011 16:54

I can't imagine Exile without I Just Want To See His Face. It more than any other song on Exile sounds like it was recorded in a damp basement. This is why Exile needed to be a double album, so they could stretch out and try something so different. It's a beautiful, haunting song (or at least a snippet of one, since it seems to start somewhere in the middle and ends prematurely). I wish they had included the full-length version on the recent bonus CD.

IJWTSHF is also the perfect segue into Let It Loose which, to me, is the highpoint of the entire album.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 18:15

some songs make the hairs on the back of your neck stand, some weird semi-religious , mystical words, this is one of them,
another would be walking on the water , ccr.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 6, 2011 06:24

Nicky Hopkins on piano? Where's the piano???? I can't hear it... it's just the Rhodes played by Keith...

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 6, 2011 06:44

Its one of my favorites from the Stones. Fantastic, genuine atmosphere which, with a little Jack Daniels, transports the soul to higher heights.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2011 08:37

Man, I always thought of it as part of the great tapestry of sounds on the album. As a double album it's more coherent than The White Album. I don't think there's any song on Exile that I skip to the next track. It's lovely every couple years to put on a pair of good headsets and enjoy the whole thing all at once.

Date: July 6, 2011 10:20

I count Exile as #1 in the Great Triumvarite of classic double albums:

1. Exile

2. Blonde On Blonde

3. The Beatles (White Album)

Honorable Mention: Quadrophenia

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 6, 2011 11:38

It defines Exile in a way -you imagine them sitting there in this swampy basement, jamming on tracks like this. Funny thing though that it was completely recorded in LA.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 6, 2011 12:49

Mathijs
It defines Exile in a way -you imagine them sitting there in this swampy basement, jamming on tracks like this. Funny thing though that it was completely recorded in LA.

Mathijs

I always thought this must have been one of the tracks recorded at Villefranche at the same time as Ventilator Blues - a track that was inspired by a swampy basement and er, lack of air conditioning.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 11, 2015 10:27

Bobby Whitlock waits 43 years to claim authorship

It apparent that former Derek and The Dominoes co-founder, Bobby Whitlock has a righteous bitch with The Rolling Stones, but more particular with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards over a record that was released some 43 years ago. Whitlock alleges that he not only played on the groups classic Lp “Exile on Main Street” but he also co-wrote the song “Just Want To See His Face” with Mick Jagger.

This whole situation was made public by Bobby Whitlock on his personal Facebook page. Whitlock posted the following on Friday, June 5, 2015, “Just because it is written that Keith Richards played the piano on "Just Want To See His Face" doesn't make it so! I played the electric Wurlitzer and it was as a response from Mick asking me about my Dad being a preacher. He asked me to play something with a gospel feel I started playing and Mick Taylor started playing the bass and Charlie started playing some rolling drums Mick started sing, "That's alright, that's alright!" "I don't want to talk about Jesus, I just want to see his face, Keith was not even in the building. He got writer credit and credit for playing the piano I have reached out to both of them several times with no reply I'm glad that I turned down the opportunity to play with them I'm probably the only person on the planet who turned them down Eric (Clapton) and I were putting together a band of our own at the time I told Bobby Keys that they should get the guy that plays piano with the Allman Brothers. They did and Chuck has been there ever since.”

This goes far beyond Bobby Whitlock’s frustration about a credit on the album, Bobby could be looking at a serious pay day. “Exile on Main Street” is one of the groups biggest selling albums. The record sold millions of copies and has gone multi-platinum a number of times. The last being there 2010 reissue. This will also put Bobby in the unique position of sharing the song’s writing credit with Mick, making “I Just Want To See His Face” a Jagger/Whitlock composition instead of a Jagger/Richards title.

Back in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s Bobby Whitlock played on some of the worlds biggest albums. For instance Bobby was a key player on George Harrison’s “All Things Must Pass,” Eric Clapton’s self-titled, fist solo album, and later co-founding Derek and the Dominos with pal Eric Clapton. Bobby’s timing is “spot-on” for bringing this issue to light especially with The Rollling Stones reissuing their 1970 gem “Sticky Fingers” this month, you can bet that “Exile on Main Street” is not far behind. Hopefully Bobby and The Rolling Stones can come to terms and reach an agreement and set the record straight. Because right now it looks like Domino Bobby Whitlock is the only being “Exiled from Main Street.”

Written by: Frank Chmielewski
June 2015
[www.linkedin.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home