Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Youtube video (to me) - Stones live in Orlando 1981
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 8, 2015 04:30

Maybe Hal Ashby planning footage?

video: [youtu.be]

Re: New Youtube video (to me) - Stones live in Orlando 1981
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 8, 2015 06:16

Wow, 1981 Orlando, the huge massive crowds never cease to amaze me.
Watched the video (thanks) then googled to see how many in attendance
(didn't find) but did find out Van Halen opened for them both nights
[therockfile.wordpress.com]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:36

punkfloyd

You can see the disappointment on the fans faces. Typical of the 81 tour. Just not a good tour.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:54

I was happy to see them in '81 but not their best tour, for sure.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 8, 2015 08:35

FYI - The photo on the back of Van Halen's Diver Down Album was taken at this show.

At the time Diver Down came out in 1982...Van Halen was getting big in America
but not to the point of packing a stadium as seen in that picture.

At the time...I looked at that picture and it never made sense to me because Van Halen wasn't to the point of selling out 100,000 people in a stadium...but now it does because it was taken at a Stones show which they opened...so that picture fed the hype of how big Van Halen was...and as a result...they got that big off Diver Down...which coincidentally was basically a covers album...
I think it had 4 originals not including the fluff like Cathedral...and of course...led to their total dominance of America with the 1984 album.

As you can see from that picture...that whole stadium was on it's feet and cheering Van Halen when they left the stage...everybody was there for the opening act...the place is packed.

I agree with the comment above that the fans seem less than enthusiastic when
the Stones hit...but maybe Van Halen killed it and when they heard Under My Thumb from the 1960's compared to what Van Halen was playing...there may have been a let down.

Having said that...I totally disagree with the 1981 tour being a disappointment...that 1981 tour...till this day remains the biggest, anticipated, hyped crazy tour that ever hit America...the only thing that compared to that may have been a Michael Jackson tour...I can't tell you how big that 1981 tour was...it was massive...3 Million postcards for 40,000 seats at the 2 dates at MSG...you got to be kidding me.

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 08:37 by Pecman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 09:34

Yes, the back cover of Diver Down is classic. I always knew it was from Orlando but was always amazed at the crowd cheering for an opening act like that. Not mnay opening acts take a curtain call bow! VH also opened the 78 Superdome show.
In 1981 AC/DC and Van Halen were the two big hard rock bands and along with the Stones, were my 3 favorite bands in high school. Flash forward to 2015 and all 3 are still touring and are still my favorites!

Date: October 8, 2015 10:39

stanlove
punkfloyd

You can see the disappointment on the fans faces. Typical of the 81 tour. Just not a good tour.

Read the comments underneath the YouTube video.

«Best concert ever», said one of the guys who was there.

The people round the 2 minute-mark don't look disappointed to me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 14:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:55

punkfloyd

This has nothing to do with Hal Ashby. The first two or three songs were filmed at almost every show for TV News purposes. I first saw that clip plus When The Whip ... in the German two and a half hour documentation "Die ersten zwanzig Jahre" (The first twenty years) from Dolezal and Rossacher in 1982. These are the guys (DoRo Production) who did also the official Time Is On My Side video for the Stones.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:57

Stanlove
My favourite tour. Or a Close runner up to the 72 tour.

Hampton is their best Concert ever IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 11:01 by Tops.

Posted by: Rio ()
Date: October 8, 2015 12:15

Huge Van Halen fan here and this tour actually was to promote the "Fair Warning" album which to many is their best. Wasn't there more to this footage? I remember an interview with Mick and Bill (the latter celebrating his birthday). The most odd thing is when Bill tells the reporter "Some Girls" came out in 1977.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 8, 2015 12:24

StonedAsia
I was happy to see them in '81 but not their best tour, for sure.

Saw them in Syracuse, nice moments but slightly underwhelming. My first show, I may have expected more. 2015 tour was so much better IMO

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 8, 2015 14:39

Nice write up here: [www.vhnd.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 14:41 by punkfloyd.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:24

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
punkfloyd

That poster doesn't say the Stones were great. I know a lot of people who talk about the 81 Buffalo show as a great experience but if asked how the Stones were say ok.

You don't know what was going on at the 2 minute mark. This is the way it usually worked with the 81 tour as far as I have seen. Huge buildup and anticipation then disappointment when the Stones actually hit the stage. Polite applause when songs are over. The only time as a rule 81 crowds ever got excited was for visuals. If Jagger walked over by them the fans would wake up.

I don't understand why people try to defend that tour. The Stones blew it. They were the biggest they ever were and they came out and for the most part and laid an egg. They sounded too thin, too fast, and the dangerous Stones vibe that so many loved about the Stones was not there. Even Jagger knew it, I remember in 1989 he changed the whole thing and went around saying it would be better then the 81 tour. He knew it was a turd.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:53

Yes, we have some pictures showing the shoe that is also on the Diver Down cover.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:53

stanlove
it was a turd.

Mick´s clothes are to blame.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:55

This is from the 1st day (Bill's birthday) as Mick had on orange the 2nd day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:59

stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove
punkfloyd

That poster doesn't say the Stones were great. I know a lot of people who talk about the 81 Buffalo show as a great experience but if asked how the Stones were say ok.

You don't know what was going on at the 2 minute mark. This is the way it usually worked with the 81 tour as far as I have seen. Huge buildup and anticipation then disappointment when the Stones actually hit the stage. Polite applause when songs are over. The only time as a rule 81 crowds ever got excited was for visuals. If Jagger walked over by them the fans would wake up.

I don't understand why people try to defend that tour. The Stones blew it. They were the biggest they ever were and they came out and for the most part and laid an egg. They sounded too thin, too fast, and the dangerous Stones vibe that so many loved about the Stones was not there. Even Jagger knew it, I remember in 1989 he changed the whole thing and went around saying it would be better then the 81 tour. He knew it was a turd.

That's HILARIOUS!

The Dallas video during LSTNT they lay a nice clam in the little bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 18:59 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 8, 2015 20:33

You can buy that print from the Van Halen store here:

Diver Down Back Cover Orlando Stones Show

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 8, 2015 20:35

Yeah this year's Orlando show was weak. Comfort zone = indoor arenas.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: October 8, 2015 20:39

The first half of the tour was way too sloppy. But the second half of the tour including Ernie Watts was terrific. Just listen to Hampton

[www.youtube.com]

The 89-tour .....I don't want to talk about that one.....The keyboards, the haircuts, the clothing, the inflatable dolls or wolf....

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:03

That 81'Tour was my first, saw them in the SuperDome, I was apart of them setting the all indoor attendance record which held up for a long while, over 80,000 of us there. Killer Time For All.....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:12

stanlove

Dang wrong answer! I was just listening to the 2nd Orlando show (Oct. 25, Gazza's tape) and it's a mind-blowing kick-ass show! B-limousine is simply out of this world.
I really don't give a sh!t if some FL stoned dumb teenagers were disappointed : the music was good! thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:25

The 81/82 tours were before big video screens, big light- and sound systems and all that. So, of course, for a big part of the audience in a huge stadium it was like looking at some small ants performing in the far distance. Surely, a disappointment for some. But that is the nature of stadium shows. Especially in the eighties and before that. More like happenings I guess.

Date: October 9, 2015 00:27

They had video screens already. Not as big as in 1989, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home