Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Remember Brian
Date: July 4, 2011 01:53

I'm reading Laura Jackson's Brian Jones book. Food for thought.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 4, 2011 03:26

Rockman

...........................................................................................................................Photo Bob Bonis

Pimp suit, broken hand, a true Rollin Stone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2011 03:41

When it comes to fashion and hairstyles he sort of overdid it all the time. Simply to much! And he was never particularly good looking. He could never compete with Mick in that department.

Date: July 4, 2011 05:01

Stoneage
When it comes to fashion and hairstyles he sort of overdid it all the time. Simply to much! And he was never particularly good looking. He could never compete with Mick in that department.

Bullocks. Brian was one of the coolest cats of the 60's. Influenced scores of rockers from his time and after. Mick, on the other hand, had his good moments fashion-wise, and some really TERRIBLE ones. 1981, football jersey, yellow nylon tights with knee-pads, and mullett comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-04 06:46 by neptune.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2011 05:37

Bullocks. Brian was one of the coolest cats of the 60's.......YEP!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 4, 2011 06:07

Stoneage

Brian was the fashion icon in the Stones and one of the icons of the 60's. He influenced Mick and especially Keith's style.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: July 4, 2011 18:30

gagi

Does anyone know what issue of Disc this was in? I would assume the next issue after Brian died.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 4, 2011 18:33

Rockman
Bullocks. Brian was one of the coolest cats of the 60's.......YEP!!!

YEP!!!!! TOO................

Date: July 4, 2011 18:37

Which made me think about this:

Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Adonais" (selected verses)

Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep -
He hath awakened from the dream of life -
'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep
With phantoms an unprofitable strife,
And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife
Invulnerable nothings. -We decay
Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief
Convulse us and consume us day by day,
And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.

The One remains, the many change and pass;
Heaven's light forever shines, Earth's shadows fly;
Life, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of Eternity,
Until Death tramples it to fragments. - Die,
If thou wouldst be with that which thou dost seek!
Follow where all is fled! - Rome's azure sky,
Flowers, ruins, statues, music, words, are weak
The glory they transfuse with fitting truth to speak.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 4, 2011 19:16

jpasc95
well, it's always sad to think of this young man that founded the Rolling Stones and has gone much too early
But he's always here somewhere behind a shadow and playing harp with a smile on his face telling us "dont't you forget me"

Nice one. Sad to realize that most people who know this band don't know of Brian Jones.

Date: July 5, 2011 00:20

stones78
Stoneage

Brian was the fashion icon in the Stones and one of the icons of the 60's. He influenced Mick and especially Keith's style.

True, but behind him was Anita, who made Keith a kind of fashion icon as well, later on.

Date: July 5, 2011 17:36

DandelionPowderman
True, but behind him was Anita, who made Keith a kind of fashion icon as well, later on.

Brian had been a fashion icon well before he met Anita.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 17:38 by neptune.

Date: July 5, 2011 18:00

Well I'm the only one then that thinks he often looks a bit strange in those odd costumes and that shampooed mop hairdo. Guess I'm old-fashioned.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 5, 2011 18:09

Stoneage

That is complete nonsense.

Mick was actually considered "ugly" when the band first started, whereas Brian was regarded as the best-looking Stone with the most star power.

Date: July 5, 2011 18:29

I have a feeling I have stumbled on some real Brian fans here. I won't stand a chance against such an artillery so I'll withdraw!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 5, 2011 19:24

Great pictures...Miss you and We love you!!!
Thanks for the Stones.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 19:37

and what's more, to me, there is still a doubt about his death circumstances.
I don't know what to think about Frank Thorogood's confession just before he died.
Did he kill Brian Jones accidentally or was it a murder ? but why kill Brian ? it makes no sense.
Did Brian feel faint and drown himself in the pool ?

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 5, 2011 20:47

jpasc95
I don't know what to think about Frank Thorogood's confession just before he died.
Did he kill Brian Jones accidentally or was it a murder ? but why kill Brian ? it makes no sense.

Of course we may never know but we can all guess.
I think it might have been an accident. Frank was pissed at Brian
for not paying for the work and he might have held Brian under the water
to scare him but it went to far. Just a guess of course.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 5, 2011 20:48

Thanks for posting the poem by Jim about Brian.
I'd heard about it but never saw it.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 5, 2011 21:30

Jim must have been a real admirer of Brian - he had the poem printed up and distributed at the Doors' Aquarius concerts in L.A., at his own expense.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:41

jpasc95
The "confession" came from Tom Keylock and not Thorogood himself for starters. Thorogood's daughter claim to have been present when Tom visited Frank at the hospital and deny that her father had said such a thing. Tom was a fishy cat and the one who "took care" of things after Brian had died. He burned Brian's clothes and made sure that Brian's stuff was removed from Cotchford. I have always felt that Keylock knew more of what had happend that night but took the easy way out by blaming Frank. It's sad that Tom's story about the confession has gotten so much credibility as there still is a possibility that Frank was innocent if Tom lied.

In june/july 1969 Brian was a happy guy and cleaner than ever from alcohol and drugs. That said his health was in a bad shape from his earlier lifestyle and he was also suffering from both asthma and some kind of epileptic syndrome. If Brian wasn't murdered it's not unlikely that he died of something related to his health problems. AFAIK the autopsy didn't show signs of any asthma attack but he may very well have had an epileptic attack in the pool and drowned because of that.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: July 6, 2011 05:32

I have mixed feeling about him. I feel sympathy for all those kids he had and their mothers. I wished he had more time to do more music and have relationships with his children. But he did say he wouldn't make 30 so he must have had a sense of urgency or something. RIP you did ok.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: July 6, 2011 05:36

And I believe he just passed out in the pool no one killed him. But it's a mystery.

Cheers.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2011 08:47

It's probably all the stories about Brian being an a-hole with people that give credence to the conspiracies around his death. It's easy to visualize some working class guys hating him. But who knows? He might have been a sweetheart at the time and he simply had a downer or two in his system, a little red wine to boot, and voila, accidental drowning.

Date: July 6, 2011 09:44

Anna Wohlin, who was Brian's girlfriend at the time said that she was absolutely certain that Frank Thorogood killed him. She was at the house when it happened and jumped in the water to try to save him. Frank didn't try to rescue him, she said. She implied that Frank and Brian had an argument about money. It seems unlikely that he would have drowned in his own pool while two people were there with him. He was a really keen swimmer, Anna said. Anna Wohlin wrote a book about it some years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 10:09 by Stoneage.

Date: July 6, 2011 11:26

Stoneage
Anna Wohlin, who was Brian's girlfriend at the time said that she was absolutely certain that Frank Thorogood killed him. She was at the house when it happened and jumped in the water to try to save him. Frank didn't try to rescue him, she said. She implied that Frank and Brian had an argument about money. It seems unlikely that he would have drowned in his own pool while two people were there with him. He was a really keen swimmer, Anna said. Anna Wohlin wrote a book about it some years ago.
Anna had been heard discussing with the builders on how to get back at Brian after hearing that he was going to throw them out of the house. This according to Brian's house keeper. Besides that Anna has also been described as more of a "one-night-stand that never left" rather than a girlfriend by someone who knew Brian. Brian didn't have the guts to kick her out but ignored her hoping she would get the point. In her book it's all a fairytale love story of course although she only stayed there for three weeks.

The thing is that she wasn't at the pool when it happend and according to the three people who was there at the time nobody was at the pool when Brian died. Yes, Frank not helping may have been weird but maybe he was in a chock or something?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 6, 2011 11:33

tonterapi
jpasc95
The "confession" came from Tom Keylock and not Thorogood himself for starters. Thorogood's daughter claim to have been present when Tom visited Frank at the hospital and deny that her father had said such a thing. Tom was a fishy cat and the one who "took care" of things after Brian had died. He burned Brian's clothes and made sure that Brian's stuff was removed from Cotchford. I have always felt that Keylock knew more of what had happend that night but took the easy way out by blaming Frank. It's sad that Tom's story about the confession has gotten so much credibility as there still is a possibility that Frank was innocent if Tom lied.

In june/july 1969 Brian was a happy guy and cleaner than ever from alcohol and drugs. That said his health was in a bad shape from his earlier lifestyle and he was also suffering from both asthma and some kind of epileptic syndrome. If Brian wasn't murdered it's not unlikely that he died of something related to his health problems. AFAIK the autopsy didn't show signs of any asthma attack but he may very well have had an epileptic attack in the pool and drowned because of that.

The problem is of course -we really don't know anything at all, do we? This story of burning of his close, did that really happen? Reportedly a lot of stuff was stolen, but never has ever surfaced on the market, and there's pics of the Stones using Brian's guitars etc. after his death. The Mellotron apperently went to his father. There's stories about Brian being happy and healthy in his last month, but the last pictures of himn tel a different story, for what its worth. He looked bloated, with deep set black rimmed eyes.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 6, 2011 11:36

Stoneage
It seems unlikely that he would have drowned in his own pool while two people were there with him. He was a really keen swimmer, Anna said. Anna Wohlin wrote a book about it some years ago.

Quite a common cause of death of cocaine users is cardiac arrest when taking a warm bath after using some amounts of coke. The combination of high heart rate, warm water and a bad physical shape is not a good one.

Mathijs

Date: July 6, 2011 12:22

According to Anna, the only drugs that Brian took at the time was one or two valium pills a day and very little alcohol. He didn't use heavy drugs when she stayed there. According to the coroner's report Brian's heart and liver was heavily enlarged though. Frank and another woman joined him in the pool so he must have been swimming for a while before it happened (apparently they got up and left him alone in the pool). He was only 27 years old and should have been in good condition if it weren't for the drugs.

Date: July 6, 2011 22:32

Mathijs
The problem is of course -we really don't know anything at all, do we? This story of burning of his close, did that really happen? Reportedly a lot of stuff was stolen, but never has ever surfaced on the market, and there's pics of the Stones using Brian's guitars etc. after his death. The Mellotron apperently went to his father. There's stories about Brian being happy and healthy in his last month, but the last pictures of himn tel a different story, for what its worth. He looked bloated, with deep set black rimmed eyes.

Mathijs
All we know is what the people who were there has shared in interviews - mostly with writers of Stones/Brian-bios. That's it sadly...

The same goes for Brian's well being. We only what people who visited or lived with him during that time say (and there were quite a few). Brian was perhaps more healthy than he had been for years the last month of his life. But his body had been hurt and he looked weared to say the least and also out of shape. That said, the pictures says nothing about wether he was happy or not and I don't think he looks any worse than he did on his last photo shoot with the Stones.

As for Brian's guitars, My guess is that some of those may have still have been stored by the Stones wich can explain why Keith has them now.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home