Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT : 40 years ago : Jim Morrison died in Paris
Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 4, 2011 13:11

Manzarek & Krieger :

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2011 14:47

21stcenturystones
yes, i meant kreiger. didn't he write "light my fire"?

He did. Morrison generally wrote the lyrics, though although the songs were just credited to 'The Doors' prior to their 4th album 'The Soft Parade'. Morrison was uneasy with the lyrical content of songs like 'Tell all the People' and insisted on individual credits being used.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 4, 2011 16:04

The photo of the security guard at Jims grave - he looks a dodgy geezer !

Date: July 5, 2011 06:25

21stcenturystones

yes he wrote the foundation of "light my fire" but the band made it the epic jam. you can usually tell a krieger song by the structure (1st verse, chorus, 2nd verse, chorus, repeat 1st verse, chours X2) and the lyrics are usually more simple than what jim writes.

songs i know krieger wrote by himself:
light my fire
love her madly
tell all the people
running blue
touch me
wishful sinful

songs i think he wrote by himself:
love me two times
people are strange

maybea few others but the rest morrison did the lyrics and the band did the music

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 06:40

The Doors are one band I wish I could have seen in their prime. Everyone has several bands they wished they had seen. For sure The Doors is one for me. This band had an effect on me when I was in 8th grade and I have enjoyed reading every book and listening to all of their music. Thank you. The music will never be over.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 06:43

what about John Densmore the drummer ?
They don't see each other any more ?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 06:48

mickschix
Morrison was a one in a million, and I mourn the music that he never lived to create. Great photo, Gazza! Very nice indeed.

Overrated? He was mysterious and was just a well educated kid who loved to drink. I disagree with this comment. The Doors are a big part of the mid to late 60's. He was the Hemingway of music and expressed heads and shoulders than other musicians.

Date: July 5, 2011 07:05

jpasc95
what about John Densmore the drummer ?
They don't see each other any more ?

are you talking about densmore and the other band members? densmore still has to sign off on the archive releases so they still are in contact

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 5, 2011 08:07

I'm sorry, and maybe it's me, but I look at those attractive girls and am reminded of the ending of Wedding Crashers when we meet the Will Ferrell character who now picks up women not only at weddings, but at funerals too.

It make me forget about Jim and want to put a Doors t-shirt on and crash Jim's grave site. I think Jim, however, would understand.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 5, 2011 18:38

24FPS
I'm not inferring foul play with Morrison, but I don't think they reported the heroin use at the time. I think they just noted a heart attack. Most people attributed that to him drinking himself to death.

Jim was not a heroin user; his girlfriend hid her use from him because he was so against the drug. He hated speed as well. He thought both were very destructive.

Jim's cause of death remains unknown. Pamela reportedly told some people that he mistakenly snorted some heroin from her stash, thinking it was cocaine. That coupled with alcohol may have led to his death. He was also being treated for a respiratory problem for several months, and that could have been the cause. Nobody knows.

Date: July 5, 2011 18:41

keefriffhard4life
maybea few others but the rest morrison did the lyrics and the band did the music

Morrison also did the music to his songs. He didn't play an instrument fluently, but he heard the songs in his head. He would sing them to the band and they'd transcribe and flesh out the arrangements.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 18:48

I love that picture of Ray and Robbie. I always liked Ray he`s a hippie but always a straight talker, the best kind of American. Anyone who has the taste to work with Jim, Iggy and X is the heart of rock n roll to me smiling smiley Long may he rolllllllll.............

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: July 5, 2011 21:07

keefriffhard4life
21stcenturystones

yes he wrote the foundation of "light my fire" but the band made it the epic jam. you can usually tell a krieger song by the structure (1st verse, chorus, 2nd verse, chorus, repeat 1st verse, chours X2) and the lyrics are usually more simple than what jim writes.

songs i know krieger wrote by himself:
light my fire
love her madly
tell all the people
running blue
touch me
wishful sinful

songs i think he wrote by himself:
love me two times
people are strange

People are strange was 100% Morrison.
In light my fire, Morrison contributed with the part "and our love become a funeral pyre."

Krieger also wrote: You're lost little girl and Yes, the river knows.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 5, 2011 21:59

Thanks for the Music jim, Hope you have a good time in the Skies Above....

great band, great sound, great everything.
one of my favorite bands
byeeee
jeroen

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:21

Jim is celebrated this evening (July 5) in Huntington Beach, Calif, with rare Doors collectibles on display. Read about it here >>> [www.therareonline.com]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 6, 2011 01:40

Clapton, WHAT are you ON?? Did you READ my comment?? I never said he was OVER-RATED!! Maybe UNDER-RATED, so what did you think I said?? Please read my comment again, sober this time, OK?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2011 04:04

Wasn't there a bust of Morrison on the grave site?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 04:04 by 24FPS.

Posted by: LillithFlair ()
Date: July 6, 2011 07:25

Hi new here. smiling smiley

Yes there were a couple of busts but both were stolen. I went to Jim's grave in the early 90's and there was a big old marmie cat hanging around there. So I started petting it and calling him Jim, asking if he was checking out who was coming to see him. He purred and sat next to me.

And for those who don't believe his grave is a major attraction, at least in the late 80's early 90's it was listed by the French Government Tourist Office in the top five believe it or not, after of course the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Arc de Triomphe.

Date: July 6, 2011 12:27

24FPS
Wasn't there a bust of Morrison on the grave site?

Yes but it was many years ago.
The bust was often vandalized and finally was stolen in 1988.
The actual headstone is here since 1991.

Date: July 6, 2011 12:37

Date: July 6, 2011 17:33

Wow, they really got rid of the terrible graffiti that was a problem for so many years - thank God. It was so disrespectful.

Posted by: RiesBaeten ()
Date: July 7, 2011 11:41

'Her @#$%& gripped him like a warm, friendly hand / It's alright, all your friends are here'.

Never quite knew what to make of that one, but it was great being there on the 3rd again, just like 20 years before (though different), when a small Peugeot 104 was pushed through the gates...

(*newby alert*) So, although I missed BK and RM, unforgivably spending my morning in Versailles, there are some pictures I would like to upload. How?

Posted by: RiesBaeten ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:00

Date: September 5, 2011 18:24

L.A. Woman: 40th Anniversary Edition CD
2CD reissue of the original album, remastered, with an additional disc of bonus material.

Disc two contains previously unreleased alternate versions of songs featured on the original album along with studio chatter by the band from the recording sessions. Liner notes written by David Fricke, Sr. Editor of Rolling Stone magazine, and original album producer Bruce Botnick.

CD 1

1. The Changeling [4:24]
2. Love Her Madly [3:39]
3. Been Down So Long* [4:44]
4. Cars Hiss By My Window* [4:58]
5. L.A. Woman* [7:59]
6. L’America [4:34]
7. Hyacinth House [3:13]
8. Crawling King Snake* [5:01]
9. The WASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat) [4:16]
10. Riders On The Storm [7:08]
CD 2

1. The Changeling (Alternate Version) [4:45]
2. Love Her Madly (Alternate Version) [3:59]
3. Cars Hiss By My Window (Alternate Version) [4:42]
4. L.A. Woman (Alternate Version) [8:50]
5. TheWASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat) (Alternate Version) [5:37]
6. Been Down So Long (Alternate Version) [4:53]
7. Riders On The Storm (Alternate Version) [9:11]
8. She Smells So Nice / Rock Me [4:41/4:30] [9:11]

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 20:08

it's still a mystery to me why this guy decided to leave his country, stop the music, and live almost like a ghost in Paris.
Was it only success, popularity that made him go far away ?
or is it just impossible, as it is for some people, to be happy in life whether you're rich or not, known or unknown...?
Gainsbourg wrote a song (sung by Jane Birkin) : "fuir le bonheur de peur qu'il se sauve"...a real beautiful song which could sum up Jim Morrison's life.
in english, the title could be something like "to run away from happiness for fear that it could escape".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home