Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith slashing away in 2003
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 29, 2011 08:47

Hardly saw any clips from the "Other HBO Show" and just found this clip of "When The Whip Comes Down"...check out Keith going nuts at 2:21...kinda rare to see him in this form espeically in these later tours. It was no secret he was unhappy with Mick's volume on the next night's show...could he be feeling the same frustration here?...trying to drown Mick out?

Still though....wish Keith could play like that ALL the time.

Re: Keith slashing away in 2003
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 29, 2011 09:03

Not a bad later day performance of "Whip" but it's kind of 'lost in translation' as the sound loses the crowd-ambiance and is too polished, too airbrushed. It probably sounded better live. Why do they do these things? Was this MSG new york?

Date: June 29, 2011 09:12

Well the audio on the video is pretty crappy...dry, hardly any bass...completely unbalanced. Obviously didn't have much of a choice when the person stole the footage. So, it's really hard to tell how great it was considering these limitations. Yes, this was MSG....the rehearsal show before the televised event.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 29, 2011 10:06

Whatever can be said about the sound mix, I see the band I love!
Man, aren't they the best. Adrenaline mixed with red hot energy!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 29, 2011 14:25

This really is the most appalling of any performance I have heard of the Stones. What the fvck is going on here? Jagger sings the lyrics of Whip. That's true. But what are the others playing? Wood is just belting out an A and D chord, as is Jagger. Darryl Jones is as groovy as a North-Korean soldier’s march. But Richards? Does he have a clue what song he's playing? What key they are in? He's just belting out a collecting of Berry riffs, double stops, string bends and one-note sustaining somethings. All he plays he vaguely remembers from the past it seems, but everything he plays is without any reference, without any relation between them. It's half out of tune, half off beat. Yes, most is in A, but that's about it. There's nothing coherent, there's nothing that resembles anything of Whip. Jagger could have sang Respectable, IORR, Starfvucker, or even Beast of Burden for my part -it wouldn't have made any difference to the band.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 15:35

Mathijs
This really is the most appalling of any performance I have heard of the Stones. What the fvck is going on here? Jagger sings the lyrics of Whip. That's true. But what are the others playing? Wood is just belting out an A and D chord, as is Jagger. Darryl Jones is as groovy as a North-Korean soldier’s march. But Richards? Does he have a clue what song he's playing? What key they are in? He's just belting out a collecting of Berry riffs, double stops, string bends and one-note sustaining somethings. All he plays he vaguely remembers from the past it seems, but everything he plays is without any reference, without any relation between them. It's half out of tune, half off beat. Yes, most is in A, but that's about it. There's nothing coherent, there's nothing that resembles anything of Whip. Jagger could have sang Respectable, IORR, Starfvucker, or even Beast of Burden for my part -it wouldn't have made any difference to the band.

Mathijs

You could apply this to almost any song played post '98 IMO

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: June 29, 2011 16:39

Mathijs....speaking from a good guitar players point of view...point taken...but from a ragged guitar player,like myself and many others out here...it gives us hope...lol

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:30

horrible version!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:39

I believe I was at this show. I don't think it's any worse than dozens of other performances from this period, and better than many.

Date: June 29, 2011 19:25

I'm one of the first to call out a bad performance but I think the main issue here is the terrible mix of this bootlegged tape. Still though...it was kind of cool to see the "old" Keith in those 15 seconds going nuts with the rhythm guitar.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 29, 2011 19:42

This "When The Whip Comes Down" is.....a parody of Rolling Stones. That the best word I could find, which wouldn't be "too rude".

I find the Rolling Stones after 1999 to be a quite strange ride; but I think the best songs they ever did was the "one offs" - like "Back Of My Hand", "Learning the Game" and "The Nearness Of You".

Whenever they do these songs which were brilliant in the 70s; thanks to adrenaline and cocaine; it seems so very sad when trying to doing it the same way; 30 years later. They're not worthy of sinking that far. Or are they? (......no they're not!)

Well - good luck on the next Jagger and Richards releases. I look forward to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 19:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: June 29, 2011 21:13

Scandalous!!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 30, 2011 01:23

Mathijs

Mathijs

Your being anointed the ruling whatever of what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to all things guitar around here has gone to your head, and despite that pathetic fact, your rulings are not the final word on anything.

It's called rock n' roll. If you'd get off your high horse once in a while, you might remember what that is.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: June 30, 2011 01:24

A terrible version of a song that was boring to begin with.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 30, 2011 02:37

Mathijs

Mathijs

Thank you. You give some knowledgeable details that I cannot, but the net result is the same. Chaos can sometimes sound fun. But this performance doesn't.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 30, 2011 02:44

We miss Bill:

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 30, 2011 03:09

Everything I wanted to say about this trainwreck performance has already been said,and just when I wanted to point at the Hampton '81 version for comparison, the Youtube video came up from stones78! What's left to say? It clearly demonstrates why the Stones don't swing anymore since Bill left.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 30, 2011 03:52

alimente
Everything I wanted to say about this trainwreck performance has already been said,and just when I wanted to point at the Hampton '81 version for comparison, the Youtube video came up from stones78! What's left to say? It clearly demonstrates why the Stones don't swing anymore since Bill left.

Exactly right. Bill shone on "Whip". Without him it's just a 2-chord thrash.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 30, 2011 05:02

keith is merely playing the guitar in that video. i'd hardly call it "going nuts".

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 30, 2011 05:07

Time warp this performance back to the 1978 tour, and it's an example of an "Awful, Atrocious Performance from 1978", of which there were a few. (But, to be fair that tour which I find charming in a way that's tough to exlain, there are also performances from '78 that to my sensibilities are among the all-time great performances...yes, including the '72, '73, '69, and selected '75 shows...

But hey, there's a split second here where if you really listen hard, there's .02 seconds of something that sort of resembles the energy of a very average '78 show or, and I'm being extremely charitable here, Hampton '81. The only person who truly showed up ready to play for ANY gig post '00 (to round off to the new century) is Mick Jagger. The rest are, well...thank god for Mick for carrying the weight...

Date: June 30, 2011 05:29

ineedadrink
keith is merely playing the guitar in that video. i'd hardly call it "going nuts".

The point of this thread isn't the video as a whole but rather a specific chunk of time that I noted above. Anybody who looks at 2:21 to 2:42 in that video and sees nothing strange obviously hasn't been paying much attention to Keith lately. For Keith to be pounding out those chords on the Gibson--in standard tuning--on those gnarley knobs of his with that much force almost never happens.

The rest of the video with his Chuck Berry licks and noodling....same old, same old.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: June 30, 2011 05:34

60 whatever years old....god bless em...you only wish brother!!!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 30, 2011 11:01

It's call Rock N' Roll. Some nights its hot, other nights not.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 30, 2011 11:11

bustedtrousers
Mathijs

Mathijs

Your being anointed the ruling whatever of what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to all things guitar around here has gone to your head, and despite that pathetic fact, your rulings are not the final word on anything.

It's called rock n' roll. If you'd get off your high horse once in a while, you might remember what that is.

We can argue for years about Jones/Taylor/Wood, but here's there is no arguing: this is just plain atrocious.

If this is rock 'n roll, well...

Mathijs

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 30, 2011 11:55

At least I like Jagger's singing and he looks pretty cool....

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 30, 2011 12:07

Horrible!!! Money back!!!

Date: June 30, 2011 12:28

stones78
We miss Bill:

The definition of rock´n´roll! Bill is fantastic on this one.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 30, 2011 12:57

The Stones were great until 1999, in 2002 the started to see themselves as a nostalgia act.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 30, 2011 14:03

One of my fav songs reduced to a jam. Shame they don't rehearse?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 30, 2011 16:16

Didn't Bill Wyman get arrested for slashing away in 1965?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home