Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T: Mc.cartneys -albums
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 27, 2011 23:36

well, bought today "memory almost full". cant get into it. by the way-i like "ram" "red rose speedway".Any others maccas worth to buy?

Re: O.T: Mc.cartneys -albums
Date: June 28, 2011 00:03

mcartney I
flaming pie
ram
band on the run

those are the only albums by him worth getting

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:08

I see Ram and Wild Life on the same level, about half of the material on each is good. I also like that live album from the Wings American Tour in '76.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:11

Havo
Any others maccas worth to buy?

I like Flowers In The Dirt myself.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:12

Venus & Mars....Love about 1/2 the album.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:14

Most of McCartney's albums contain hidden gems. The least pleasing for my taste would be "Press to Play." The much maligned "Back to the Egg" contains "Arrow Through Me," "Spin it On," Baby's Request," and "Rockestra Theme." Those are excellent songs for fans of McCartney. His last three efforts have been outstanding.

Date: June 28, 2011 00:39

Shawn20
Most of McCartney's albums contain hidden gems. The least pleasing for my taste would be "Press to Play." The much maligned "Back to the Egg" contains "Arrow Through Me," "Spin it On," Baby's Request," and "Rockestra Theme." Those are excellent songs for fans of McCartney. His last three efforts have been outstanding.

I wrote a lengthy feature on all of McCartney's UK singles (including B sides etc) for my blog a while back: [themargatemusicman.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:45

McCartney I
Ram
Band On The Run
Venus And Mars
Wings Over America
Tug Of War
Flowers In The Dirt
Flaming Pie
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

All are outstanding albums in my book.

Date: June 28, 2011 00:50

Blueranger
McCartney I
Ram
Band On The Run
Venus And Mars
Wings Over America
Tug Of War
Flowers In The Dirt
Flaming Pie
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

All are outstanding albums in my book.

If you're going to include live albums then I'd include Tripping The Live Fantastic myself. Also great is Run Devil Run (1999), far better than Lennon's collection of rock & roll covers.

Posted by: LazloLars ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:59

Flaming Pie
Ram

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 01:05

I think Paul McCartney made a lot of great records but as some mentioned there are some that contains a handful great tunes, may be he suffers his past were he only had to write a handful of songs for an album.........

I just checked out Sleepy City'a single list looks like the type of "Silly Love Songs" songs are his biggest hits confused smiley
B.t.w. wasn't "Maybe I'm Amazed" released as a single back in '70?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 28, 2011 01:13

NICOS
I think Paul McCartney made a lot of great records but as some mentioned there are some that contains a handful great tunes, may be he suffers his past were he only had to write a handful of songs for an album.........

I just checked out Sleepy City'a single list looks like the type of "Silly Love Songs" songs are his biggest hits confused smiley

nope. Like "Stairway to Heaven" it was only an album cut...UNTIL a live version from Wings Over America became a 45.

Date: June 28, 2011 01:13

NICOS

i believe just a live version towards the end of the 70's.

Date: June 28, 2011 01:18

keefriffhard4life
NICOS

i believe just a live version towards the end of the 70's.

Yes, in February 1977 (reached number 28 in the charts). It's mentioned in my blog post.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:10

I really like the last album he did with the guy from The Orb (Youth) under the name of "Fireman". It's called "Electric Arguments", and is a little different from most of his solo stuff.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 05:28

Electric Arguments for sure. It is one of his most complete, restrained, experimental, and melodic works. It showcases his musical journey to the present and how he has that master touch to turn in the most magnetic hooks and mind candy. It is a must.

Then I would say Ram. I read the naysayers, but I disagree. This show cases what made Abbey Road to interesting, McCartney's love of creating a trippy opera of characters, sounds, melodies, backing vocals, and weirdness. It is a campy record, that draws you into his family life, farm, and crushed feelings of his love affair with Lennon ended. It is a touching record with a lot of humble and witty soul. Very earthy.

And a real treat is Run Devil Run. Again, mature McCartney surrounding himself with seasoned pros. He heads into the studio for a few weeks and just tells the guys the names of the tunes the day they record them to create an urgent and powerful testimony of what changed his life, rock n' roll. It is also a very touching record coming so soon after Linda's death. In a sense a final love letter to her recounting their nights alone, passionately listening to old rock and roll and dancing. Dave Gilmore is a delight and a surprising virtuoso of fifties rock leads. Incredible. Get it and play it loud.

Live, Wings Over America tied with Back in The World Again. The 70's sheen of Wings Over America is so infectious. Macca is back, and in control again of his own destiny with the family caravan finely tuned to life on the road. And here in all their glory they conquer America. The mix from the original vinyl, and from the Japanese digi pack remaster and the only sources, however, that bring out the true glory of the concert. It is strange this has not been released, and it begs for a great box set with both concert films and outtakes. The album is a ride through Macca's best honed rock and pop. It gets a bit rock candy like in places, but still infectious as hell. And then you get the great acoustic set ending with Yesterday. Awesome. This was such a hot band that John Bonham traveled around to several gigs during the US tour to watch in amazement at Macca's phoenix rising from the flames. It has probably the definitive version of Maybe I'm Amazed on it. Letting Go is a heavy slab of heroine funk with some great guitar from Jimmy McCollough. Then move to final side of the album and rock out with Hi Hi Hi and the leaded out version of Soily. Joe English was a fantastic drummer and really pushed Paul to play some very consistently innovative bass on the entire collection.

Back in the World Again is McCartney's best sounding live disc. The mix is impeccable and very heavy. His backing band are locked very tight to what McCartney wants. Layered vocals, heavy drums locked into the bass, solid and versatile guitarists, and a journey though his life in music. It is quite an emotional album, also his first tour after Linda's death. His voice is beyond touching. And his friend George had recently died, so there is the amazing version of him doing Something (although I would say the definitive version of that is from the Concert For George, where he does it with Clapton, that is a heavy and emotional!) The selection is very thorough, with deep cuts and all the classics. Very worthy for a spin on your headphones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-28 05:36 by whitem8.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 28, 2011 07:04

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 28, 2011 09:47

The bootleg outtakes of Red Rose Speedway are pretty much amazing. There's a fantastic live song from the time called that 1882 - live in The Hague - that is a blues par excellence. Well worth seeking out. Look for Red Rose Speedway Collector's Edition on the internet as I did and you'll find it.

Date: June 28, 2011 10:28

I think it's important not to forget Macca's singles, as (unlike most 60s acts) he was still releasing non-album A sides as late as 1987 (Once Upon A Long Ago), & even his biggest ever UK hit (Mull Of Kintyre / Girls School) wasn't issued on an album at the time.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 29, 2011 09:06

I wish he had released a live record from the period between WILD LIFE and RED ROSE SPEEDWAY -- "The Mess" is outstanding.

Also, it's too bad the "Junior's Farm" lineup never made an album.

The singles from that early Wings era are better than the albums imo.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 29, 2011 09:17

Well, this isn't as good as the version on the b-side of "My Love" but you get the idea -- I hope the RRS reissue includes the entire "James Paul McCartney" TV special as a bonus dvd.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 3, 2011 02:16

February 1975: Benny Spellman, Linda McCartney, Paul McCartney, Wings guitarist Jimmy McCulloch and Earl King pose for a classic picture at New Orleans’ Sea-Saint Studios during a break in recording Wings’ Venus and Mars.

[offbeat.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 3, 2011 06:11

Choba b CCCP, the album of old rock 'n' roll covers that was originally only released in Russia, is another gem.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 3, 2011 12:03

Of the latter day albums Chaos and Creation in the Backyard is the most rewarding listen. Memory Almost Full is not so easily accessible but I found that it grew on me.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 3, 2011 12:15

whitem8
And a real treat is Run Devil Run. Again, mature McCartney surrounding himself with seasoned pros. He heads into the studio for a few weeks and just tells the guys the names of the tunes the day they record them to create an urgent and powerful testimony of what changed his life, rock n' roll. It is also a very touching record coming so soon after Linda's death. In a sense a final love letter to her recounting their nights alone, passionately listening to old rock and roll and dancing. Dave Gilmore is a delight and a surprising virtuoso of fifties rock leads. Incredible. Get it and play it loud.

ab
Choba b CCCP, the album of old rock 'n' roll covers that was originally only released in Russia, is another gem.

Hello,

Couldn't agaree more with the above. I remember welling-up the first time I heard the band play 'No Other Baby': think it might have been on Jools Holland's show. Moving stuff.
The common denominator for both albums (apart from great song selections) was Mr. Mick Green. He's missed too.

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 3, 2011 13:05

while i hate paul's super sappy ballads after linda passed everytime i hear "my love" tears well up. i can't honestly see how paul makes it through that song in concert anymore

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 3, 2011 14:28

I just played Red Rose Speedway really loud, interesting how heavy the band were, its a powerful almost hard rock record. I love all of the solo/Wings stuff between the first and Venus and Mars, then things got dodgy apart from a few singles. All those records still hold up very well today when im feeling nostalgic for my childhood days Wings TRex and the Ramones get a lot of spins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home