Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Concert for the refugees
Posted by: ErikMalmo ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:00

Hi
Is it impossible to convince the Stones, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc
to organize a support concert for all the refugees coming to Europe??
Would really love to see them doing that!

Re: Concert for the refugees
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:04

It would be great to see Keith spearhead this...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:11

Yes!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:14

stonesrule
It would be great to see Keith spearhead this...

Of course it would but when have we ever seen Keith spearhead a charity event except when he was court ordered to do so? Sounds like a job for Bono or Bob Geldoff or someone who actually has some history and experience with these things.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:47

If a concert featuring the Stones would actually convince some people to pay attention to what's going on in the world, maybe even sponsor a refugee family or donate money, then sure.

But if people want this concert solely for the selfish reason that they want to see The Stones in concert and have a party, then no thanks.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:00

It is a very sad thing what is going on. But, it doesn't solve the problem just donating money, food, cloth etc. - these are short term measures, helping the people here and now.

The most important thing is to stop the wars in those areas such as Syria. Take away organisations like IS, stop the smugglers that are earning lots of money smuggling people from poor areas to Europe. The smugglers give a damn about the people as long as they earn their big bucks, they are more than happy. If people die on the way from, for example, Syria or Africa to Europe, they could care less.

And also to involve other countries than just Europe, for example, US, Canada and not the least the Arabian countries, like Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Dubai etc.

Date: September 6, 2015 21:33

mtaylor
It is a very sad thing what is going on. But, it doesn't solve the problem just donating money, food, cloth etc. - these are short term measures, helping the people here and now.

The most important thing is to stop the wars in those areas such as Syria. Take away organisations like IS, stop the smugglers that are earning lots of money smuggling people from poor areas to Europe. The smugglers give a damn about the people as long as they earn their big bucks, they are more than happy. If people die on the way from, for example, Syria or Africa to Europe, they could care less.

And also to involve other countries than just Europe, for example, US, Canada and not the least the Arabian countries, like Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Dubai etc.

Well we've got our own immigration problems in the US and haven't really demonstrated a great ability to resolve them. But, I agree humanitarian efforts from us are certainly better foreign policy that the military efforts that have dominated our policies since WW2. Smugglers are indeed heartless but they are just a symptom of the real problems, imo. Long term it seems all of us with rich lifestyles will have to sacrifice a bit of them to allow the poor and disenfranchised in this world to live a little better. I'm willing to give, are you?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:37

All politicians of the world would make it, not the Stones or other musicians...All the greatest countries of the world, the richest would make it!

Date: September 6, 2015 21:39

All Keith has to do is call Springsteen and a handful of others.
Jane Rose and lawyers would do the main work...IF the plight of the refugees
sufficiently moves him.

George Harrison was "hands on" the telephone to get "Concert for Bangla Desh" off the ground.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 6, 2015 22:05

They must do something.

U2
Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Bonnie raitt
Jackson Browne
Roger waters

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2015 22:10

Didnt the Stones put on a concert for the Nicaragian's following an earthquake in their country in the early seventies?
Perhaps Bianca can phone Sir Mick............

Date: September 6, 2015 22:25

stonesrule
sufficiently moves him.

George Harrison was "hands on" the telephone to get "Concert for Bangla Desh" off the ground.

hurricane sandy was put together pretty quickly, should be possible.

watch, mccartney will do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 22:25 by Turner68.

Date: September 6, 2015 22:48

stonesrule
sufficiently moves him.

George had a much more socially involved and helpful attitude than Keith ever has demonstrated in his lifetime. In fact I've rarely, if ever, heard Keith talk about social issues with respect to the music. Of course he could spearhead something like this but it would be so out of character I think you are dreaming, my dear. I get the feeling the Stones will never be the ones to lead something like this. Perhaps contribute a set if asked by the right people but never lead the way, imo.

Date: September 6, 2015 22:51

Naturalust
stonesrule
sufficiently moves him.

George had a much more socially involved and helpful attitude than Keith ever has demonstrated in his lifetime. In fact I've rarely, if ever, heard Keith talk about social issues with respect to the music. Of course he could spearhead something like this but it would be so out of character I think you are dreaming, my dear. I get the feeling the Stones will never be the ones to lead something like this. Perhaps contribute a set if asked by the right people but never lead the way, imo.

good point. although they did once, albeit under a judge's orders, and over the threats of the people they were supposed to benefit (blind people) that they would protest the concert in the streets: Even some of the blind were unhappy. One group threatened to demonstrate at the concert on the grounds that "this just increases the people's view of us as helpless charity cases."

from this article on the topic:

[www.people.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 22:53 by Turner68.

Date: September 6, 2015 22:58

To be pragmatic about this, I have seen so many of Keith's interviews pushing
his album I simply thought: if he spent the next three weeks talking about something currently in the news, keeping it brief...it could be a worthwhile,
topic of conversation and do some good for others.

I am not holding my breath.

I was raised on "Do Onto Others As You Would Have Them Do Onto You." And try as I sometimes do, I can't escape it.

Date: September 6, 2015 23:00

It is a great idea.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:03

Please NOOOOOOOO!

Date: September 6, 2015 23:07

stonesrule
To be pragmatic about this, I have seen so many of Keith's interviews pushing
his album I simply thought: if he spent the next three weeks talking about something currently in the news, keeping it brief...it could be a worthwhile,
topic of conversation and do some good for others.

I am not holding my breath.

I was raised on "Do Onto Others As You Would Have Them Do Onto You." And try as I sometimes do, I can't escape it.

And I love you for your way of thinking stonesrule! It would indeed be a wonderful thing for someone like Keith to use his many platforms to raise some awareness of important issues. But like you, I'm not holding my breath. I actually have great respect for artists like George Harrison and others who try and make a difference in this world and feel some sense of responsibility to do so based on their broad appeal, however unpopular the concept may be to some.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:15

Of course we will never know (I suspect) if the individual Stones do in fact give financial support to the third world and other worthwhile causes.
I dont think they are likely to publicise it, unlike some of their peer group.
You would like to think so; given that their own tax structures have denied treasury depts across the world considerable revenues over the years.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:30

When all the Arab/Muslim countries with their great oil wealth don't contribute a dime or take in one refugee, I'm skeptical that there's much a few rock stars can do. This isn't a natural disaster, this is an ongoing outrage perpetrated by humans. But I agree with Boognish - if music can once again be used to call attention to a humanitarian crisis, then it couldn't hurt.

Date: September 6, 2015 23:44

jlowe
Of course we will never know (I suspect) if the individual Stones do in fact give financial support to the third world and other worthwhile causes.
I dont think they are likely to publicise it, unlike some of their peer group.
You would like to think so; given that their own tax structures have denied treasury depts across the world considerable revenues over the years.

I read somewhere that Mick in particular does indeed often give to charitable causes but like you say has chosen to remain private about the recipients. He certainly has the reputation of being generous with his friends. I've never heard much about any of the other Stones doing so except to the occasional arts related museums and such. I have a vague memory of someone receiving a $50,000 check from Keith for some cause or another. And of course they did give Taylor some funds to assist with his health problems at one time. winking smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:55

Turner68
Yes!

No.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 7, 2015 00:15

It's a nice thought, well intended, but likely a disappointing endeavor.
Thieves in the night, including the red cross.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 7, 2015 00:52

How long before these refugees start moaning about the Stones set list at this gig.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 7, 2015 01:04

IF something like this takes place, please, NOT Jackson Browne and the usual mediocre suspects that show up at every humanitarian musical effort.

But, lots of question: who would receive the money, how, who determines it all, etc. a ton of logistical hurdles.

Date: September 7, 2015 02:05

DAVE, you're absolutely right but WE don't have to deal with it.

Springsteen's manager knows all the ins and outs and it probably should
involve the United Nations. The key is having the right advisor who knows
how to get the money in the right hands without all the IRS stuff that hung
up the Bangla Desh money for a very long time.

It's just an idea for Keith, with or without the Stones.

Date: September 7, 2015 02:12

pepganzo
They must do something.

U2
Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Bonnie raitt
Jackson Browne
Roger waters

I'd say that U2, Springsteen, and Waters are most likely to do this... Just as long as Waters gets to do his own Wall portion! He may have to cut out some of the costumes that have become associated with the Wall, but other than that...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 7, 2015 02:20

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
pepganzo
They must do something.

U2
Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Bonnie raitt
Jackson Browne
Roger waters

I'd say that U2, Springsteen, and Waters are most likely to do this... Just as long as Waters gets to do his own Wall portion! He may have to cut out some of the costumes that have become associated with the Wall, but other than that...

Wow!!! What a lineup especially with Jackson Browne creator of Lawyers in Love!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 7, 2015 02:22

Live Aid has already happened folks.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 7, 2015 02:25

Distributing funds afterwards is always the practical problem - so much gets wasted in bureaucracy and admin. But drawing attention and giving support is always good. To those who think that Keith or the Stones aren't charitable or participatory, how soon we forget. The pics of Keith marching in support of an effort to save a local hospital from closing in Sussex (he had made a sizeable donation, and the efforts were successful), not to mention the SARS concert in Toronto 12 years ago - AC/DC said Keith personally called them up to come play, and you don't say no to Keith. How much more is done quietly and privately would no doubt surprise many. But not all.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home