Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tom Waits & Keith Richards
Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: August 29, 2015 08:04

Keith Richards & Tom Waits 2 cool cats that`s for sure...

Except from T.W`s Rain Dogs where else have they worked together worth a spin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 19:54 by ComeOn.

Re: Tom Waits & Keith Richards
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 29, 2015 09:06

Several tracks on Bad As Me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 29, 2015 09:48

And on Bone Machine

Date: August 29, 2015 10:48

Sleep Tonight
Little Red Rooster live in 2013 with the Stones.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: August 29, 2015 22:18

Thank you !

Date: August 29, 2015 22:19

+ a recording of Shenandoah a couple of years ago.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: August 30, 2015 11:08

with sssoul
And on Bone Machine

Yeah, "That Feel". Perfect song for KR to do 'harmonies' on. His backing vox are in your face and glorious.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 30, 2015 14:45

carlorossi
with sssoul
And on Bone Machine

Yeah, "That Feel". Perfect song for KR to do 'harmonies' on. His backing vox are in your face and glorious.

Yes! Totally agree. The song gives me goose bumps to this day. Beautiful.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 30, 2015 17:32

That Feel is a roiling circus of life and joy. A beautiful gypsy caravan of melding vocals, guitars, and shoe shuffles. A perfect symbiosis between two grizzled clowns of musical fun. Creaking rocking chairs, long drawn smoke clouds whispering through their fingers on the fret boards. You can hear Waits push his stetson forward as Keith leans into the mic to add his vocal crackles and pops. Lovely.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 30, 2015 17:35

Great review white, you have a lovely way with words. smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 02:57

Thank you latebloomer! Very kind of you.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 31, 2015 03:01

I did a post about Tom Waits recently. I'm new to his music - somehow I just kind of missed him all these years - but I am really getting into him. Some fantastic stuff - and yes, Keith plays on several of his discs. Tremendously weird and wonderful and talented cat.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: August 31, 2015 05:54

I only got into Tom Waits because of Keith. Got Rain Dogs when it came out. That album is still on my short list. Keith's contributions were amazing. Quintessential Keith on Big Black Mariah and Union Square and lovely very Faraway Eyes licks on Blind Love. Marc Ribot is on that record as well. He does a solo on Plant/Krauss's Rich Woman that morphs into an authentic Keith imitation. He's a unique guitar player. Also love GE Smith's playing on Downtown Train. With Waits I only went back as far as Swordfishtrombones which kicked off the second phase of his career. Have never been interested in his earlier incarnation. Saw him in 1987 with Ribot and twelve years later in 1999. Dynamic performer and he introduced the bullhorn to live performance (stolen by Michael Stipe). Check out Waits-produced cover album - Wicked Grin by John Hammond.

Date: August 31, 2015 11:08

stewedandkeefed
I only got into Tom Waits because of Keith. Got Rain Dogs when it came out. That album is still on my short list. Keith's contributions were amazing. Quintessential Keith on Big Black Mariah and Union Square and lovely very Faraway Eyes licks on Blind Love. Marc Ribot is on that record as well. He does a solo on Plant/Krauss's Rich Woman that morphs into an authentic Keith imitation. He's a unique guitar player. Also love GE Smith's playing on Downtown Train. With Waits I only went back as far as Swordfishtrombones which kicked off the second phase of his career. Have never been interested in his earlier incarnation. Saw him in 1987 with Ribot and twelve years later in 1999. Dynamic performer and he introduced the bullhorn to live performance (stolen by Michael Stipe). Check out Waits-produced cover album - Wicked Grin by John Hammond.

His first three albums is worth a close inspection, imo. Closing Time is on my short list smiling smiley

It was great reading your description of Keith on Rain Dogs. I have to put that one on again - it's been a while thumbs up

Date: August 31, 2015 19:04

I like all his stuff. I like his early stuff, but it is so different from the second part of his career. He's a lot like Dylan, very eclectic, can still sing like a crooner if he wants, and loves to frustrate and confuse his fans. He is a true American treasure. A brilliant poet and musical gypsy.

Date: August 31, 2015 19:05

whitem8
I like all his stuff. I like his early stuff, but it is so different from the second part of his career. He's a lot like Dylan, very eclectic, can still sing like a crooner if he wants, and loves to frustrate and confuse his fans. He is a true American treasure. A brilliant poet and musical gypsy.

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home