Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: RIP Ryan Dunn (of Jackass fame)
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 22, 2011 17:11

"Ryan Dunn was doing 130 miles-per-hour in his Porsche at the time of the horrible crash that killed the "Jackass" star and his passenger -- this according to West Goshen police."

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 22, 2011 17:19

hbwriter
"Ryan Dunn was doing 130 miles-per-hour in his Porsche at the time of the horrible crash that killed the "Jackass" star and his passenger -- this according to West Goshen police."

Not surprising. These Jackass people are thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 22, 2011 17:33

They shouldn't sell Porsches or BMW M3:s or any other supersportscars to celebs. They can't handle them. Keith is wiser who settles for a Bentley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 17:36 by Stoneage.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 22, 2011 20:43

sweetcharmedlife
Being famous for shoving a toy car up your ass does not make you a great anything.

JumpingKentFlash
By using that argument you can reduce anything. Jimmy Hendrix wasn't a talent because picking on some strings doesn't make you a great anything...
R.I.P. Ryan.

sweetcharmedlife
Complete apples and oranges. Playing a guitar or being skilled in sports takes talent. Being a jackass does not require talent.

Completely agree Fred. It takes nothing but audacity to stick a toy car up your ass, but it takes lots of hard work to play an instrument well, excel at a sport and so on. Moreover, if intoxication or sheer stupidity, perhaps both, was behind the death of Ryan as well as his friend then I can't say much save for there is a special place in hell for those who possess such reckless stupidity that it results not only in the loss of one's own life but that of another...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 22:42 by ChrisM.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 22, 2011 21:53

A few people have posted how they thought "Jackass" was funny. I don't think it was, and it's sad that the guy bought into the whole "let's do stupid stuff for fame" mentality, because living it actually killed him.

I know they pretended to demonstrate some shred of responsibility when they plastered the program with "Kids, Don't Do This" disclaimers, but the sheer fact that they were doing it on TV was influencing the young and impressionable in some way. If not to actually do crazy, suicidal stuff (that no sane 8 year old would have done back in the day ) themselves, but to present the depiction of acts by adults as something "funny."

Was the point that they were doing something really, really stupid? Not just pretend Three Stooges with sound effects stuff, but the real thing? Just for fame?

Did it make the audience feel superior to them?

Johnny Knoxville was on Letterman when the last Jackass movie came out, and Dave, in his own way, questioned his sanity about those stunts, especially as he was now getting older. Knoxville seemed to agree, but appeared to be a man now used to a certain level of cash/lifestyle/fame, and trapped by the demands of the audience.

I blame Viacom, the parent company of MTV. MTV is the cultural equivalent of BP, with no concern for the toxic waste they dump as long as it makes money. The race to the bottom, the one that generates "controversy," and then headlines followed by ratings has been a consistent cash machine. As was once said, "You can't go broke underestimating the taste of the American people."

The final straw for me happened years ago. The news story about the taping of an MTV show called "Dude, That Really Sucks" where a 14 year old girl was literally SH*T ON--yes, actually defecated on-- by someone as a "prank" at a taping in Big Bear was the end. With that, MTV got a few steps ahead of themselves in their race to the bottom and showed their stripes.

Of course, the execs denied any knowledge of, the footage was never aired, and Gloria Allred got the girl a huge settlement. But something that extreme doesn't just happen. When it was planned they knew it pushed boundaries, but that was part of their Mission Statement. There is no limit. Nothing is too extreme.

As long as it makes money.

MTV/Viacom promotes a culture of stupidity and mean-spirited behavior. And paints it as "cool."

For that reason, MTV was blocked in my house, and I think my kids turned out much better for it.

I read where Roger Ebert was briefly taken off Facebook after complaints that he made an "insensitive" comment about Dunn's drinking and driving. There's an example of how speaking the truth will get you in trouble.

I'm in Ebert's camp on this one. I think the Jackass was a dumbass.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 22, 2011 22:49

a friend of mine, a well known comedian has a funny line - "i love how when someone dies while bungee jumping, people gasp in shock and say 'my god, how could this have happened!'

reminds me of this - these guys all live on the total edge of life and death - the only bright side here is that they didn't kill any innocent bystanders

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 22, 2011 23:23

hbwriter
the only bright side here is that they didn't kill any innocent bystanders

Yeah, I'd rather someone be an actual junkie rather than an "adrenaline junkie."

It's much more safer for my family and my friends as we live our lives while driving the public streets, minding our own business.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2011 00:21

hbwriter:
a friend of mine, a well known comedian has a funny line - "i love how when someone dies while bungee jumping, people gasp in shock and say 'my god, how could this have happened!'

Great line...............

The same goes for Formula One races

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: June 23, 2011 00:33

I feel badly for the passenger in the car who was killed. This guy flirted with disaster one too many times and unfortunately cost not only his own life but that of his passenger.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 23, 2011 00:38

In all honesty is hard for me to feel sorry for this guy,when he is doing 130mph,and drunk out of his mind,thank god he didn't have a head on with some family and kill them all.It was his decision to get drunk and drive,so to me no big deal...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 23, 2011 01:27

His drunkenness at the time of the accident is official:

Jackass' Star Ryan Dunn Was Intoxicated When He Died

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 23, 2011 23:34

the bit with dunn and the toy car was so cringeworthy and so f/cking funny,not because of what he did but the reaction of the old doctor and the nurse.when the doc tells him[and the cameraman]"you must go and never tell anyone about this" the audience is in on the joke-far from not telling anyone,the crazy son of a bitch is filming it for a movie for millions to see.

there has been an overload of "its too bad he killed someone else,lucky he didnt hit some innocent family and i dont feel sorry for him" comments all over the media...

his friend was probably also crazy thats why he got in the car,he didnt kill an "innocent family" and no one asked you to feel sorry for him.

"did you ever notice when someone dies in a bungee accident and people go oh my gosh i cant believe it"-

yeah,that happens all the time,people die bungee jumping and everyone is shocked- what a lame line from a hack comedian,does he have any good ones about airline food?i'm guessing your friend isnt chris rock.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: June 24, 2011 01:57

<there has been an overload of "its too bad he killed someone else,lucky he didnt hit some innocent family and i dont feel sorry for him" comments all over the media...

his friend was probably also crazy thats why he got in the car,he didnt kill an "innocent family" and no one asked you to feel sorry for him.>

Are you kidding me?
His blood alcohol level is almost .2 and he's driving 130mph?
And his whole schtick is doing stupid ass crap for a living?

I'll say it again - we're lucky he didn't take completely innocent people out with him.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 24, 2011 03:28

lem motlow

there has been an overload of "its too bad he killed someone else,lucky he didnt hit some innocent family and i dont feel sorry for him" comments all over the media...

his friend was probably also crazy...
And that excuses Ryan's actions? He killed himself and someone else from reckless stupidity. And what do you mean there has been an overload of "its too bad he killed someone else.."? This is the very heart of the matter. Ryan killed himself and his friend. Had he survived, he would most certainly be done over for manslaughter. A senseless and stupid waste of of two lives...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-24 20:31 by ChrisM.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home