Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: R.I.P Clarence Clemons
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 19, 2011 10:39

Sad news. RIP.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 19, 2011 11:10

Clarence - we'll missing you.

R.I.P

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 19, 2011 13:00

I'm speechless. This is truly awful. RIP, Big Man.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: June 19, 2011 13:01

"Lost, but not forgotten..."

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 13:24

Aaaah .. that's a shame .

Godspeed .

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 19, 2011 14:04

So sad. I am grateful I finally got to see him recently with Springsteen at Hampden, Glasgow. R.I.P.

Date: June 19, 2011 14:27

...True... Seeing him play live is one of my fondest R'n'R-memories too, in retrospect.
Hail & praises to 'Big Man' Clarence.
Love and light!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 19, 2011 14:56

Sad news...

RIP Clarence

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:16

great piece here -

[www.backstreets.com]

true pals - soul brothers in every sense of the word - this is just so sad....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:17

Probably his most well-known non-Bruce performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 15:18 by tatters.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:47

Very sad for his family. A great talent. He will be missed.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 19, 2011 16:36

My wife just informed me of this. I am just devastated. RIP, Big Man... What a loss.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 19, 2011 16:39

I heard he had a stroke but I did not hear that he passed. Very sad news indeed. One of the great live bands. He can not be replaced in that band.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: June 19, 2011 16:43

Very sad news. RIP Big Man

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:03

Awful, awful news, I feel so sad today...

My thoughts to his family and friends.

An irreplaceable part of the E street band.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:05

Clarence appeared on the last Lady Gaga's video. This video premiered 2 days ago:

Man, it's the first time I've seen Lady GaGa video in full. Am I the only one who sees a reference to Waiting On A Friend video here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 17:06 by franzk.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:16

RIP Big Man.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:24

SAd day indeed. Thank you for the music and RIP big man

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:52

I really thought he would recover again. So sad.

RIP

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:53

Rest in Peace Big Man...The world is a lesser place than it was yesterday.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:55

Playing "Lovelight" with The Grateful Dead

Standing On The Moon (not the best video quality)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 18:08 by Bingo.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:08

A part of the American Mythology. The Pied Piper has hopped on the long lean note and can definitely make it float.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:10

A great tribute (from a blogger on Salon) -

Clarence "The Big Man" Clemmons Dead at 69

Last week when Clemmons suffered a major stroke I posted a piece on him. Late last night that stroke claimed his life and the famed sax man is gone forever from our world. I am not what most would call a "spiritual" person, yet at just about the time that this news was announced I was watching a powerful storm with 53 m.p.h. winds and a huge lightning display that knocked our power out for a couple of hours.

There isn't much I can add to this but, the world needs soul and now we've lost another great one. As a boomer, I see that like every generation that our ways our short lived. Restricted by the natural lifespans of it's members. I am going to re-post last weeks piece here. Goodbye, Big Man, I'm glad I walked the earth the same time as you.

The news from Florida is not the best. Last night Clarence Clemmons the fabled "Big Man" of the E Street Band suffered from what is rumored to be a major stroke. News is sketchy but, after two brain surgeries he is now listed in critical but stable condition. Now that may sound like good news but the E Street Band is rushing to his side on the advice of physicians. That usually indicates the expectation of something less than a positive situation.

I have been a music fan as long as I can remember and a rocker too. I've seen literally hundreds of rock concerts. Many of them I saw in a pschedelic haze. I've seen the big names too, from the Allman Brothers to Zeppelin, and most of them in their prime. The Stones, David Bowie, CSNY, you name a big seventies band and it is likely I was there .

Most of them I saw more than once, but not the E Street Band. I caught them one time on the tour supporting "Born To Run". They played at the S.I.U. Arena in Carbondale Illinois. Now that means nothing to most people in the world I know. At the time, we at S.I.U. were rated as umber three on Playboy magazines top party schools in the U.S.. For a small state university we were the shit.

I remember a lot about the show since I wasn't drinking and my intoxicant of choice was pot, I recall thinking that the eight dollar ticket was high since there was no opening act. I remember it being in early September and it was unseasonally hot. I had fair seats too, just a couple of rows off of the floor.

I knew Springsteens early work and I was familiar with "Born to Run" too, The band took the stage to a healthy reception and broke into (if memory serves me) "Rosalita". I was hooked I don't recall all of the songs he went through but I remember covers of some Creedence. It was an amazing show. He was accessible and friendly and at least got the town and the university right. I know that he played for hours with the show starting about eight p.m. and ending after one a.m. one of the most outstanding performances was that of Clarence Clemmons.

He wailed on that sax like a demon. He was a big man and he played big. That show was for me , one of the best I'd ever seen. I found out later that the band had taken a short tour break in Carbondale rather than the scheduled one in St Louis. They hit the local bars incognito and jammed a bit at some of the bars too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 18:14 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:13

Here's a GREAT soundboard of Clarence playing with The Grateful Dead (songs that have the #1 next to them)...Happy New Year 1988-89

[www.archive.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 18:14 by Bingo.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:18

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:30

I saw Clarence on that 1st All Starr Band tour......I still remember every time he played his sax the volume of the concert seemed to go up a few notches.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:40

Joy Behar's last interview with Clarence, she mentions Stones at the end
[cnn.com]

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:48

Rest in peace Clarence.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2011 19:00

I first saw the E Street Band on a stormy night in Tucson in 1978. I walked in a skeptic, and left a convert. I had never before been effected by music like that and Clarence was a big part of it. It may sound corny, but what they put across was Love. Love for their music, love for their audience, love for each other.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 19, 2011 19:36

RIP

Sad news indeed.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home