Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Burt Bacharach - any fans here?
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 21:36

This is just an appreciation for all those sublime hits...

A few days ago, I watched his full set at this year's Glastonbury on Youtube, and it reminded me of how integral he and Hal David were to popular music culture. When I was a kid, my older cousin had a Dionne Warwick Greatest Hits album, and I loved his music long before I discovered rock and roll. He was part of my formative musical journey, and I'm convinced its why I've always loved minor 7 chords, as a musician, and as a listener.
If I was ever asked to name the most perfect pop song ever, it would be this:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 21:38 by stupidguy2.

Re: OT: Burt Bacharach - any fans here?
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 21:52

Always leaved towards Engelbert

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 6, 2015 21:58

yes. those great songs always appealed to me and more so now. there's a lot of them, Bacharach and Hal David (lyrics)

my favorite..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:11

I love all for those gorgeous schmaltzy songs, and Bacharach was the best. Heck, I was even was up for seeing Barry Manilow on the Mall for the Fourth. Gary Clark Jr. won out. Go figure. If you count Mick's participation in the remake of Alfie, then there is even a Stones connection.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:15

Yes! Fabulous. His LP with Elvis Costello was quite good too.

Date: July 6, 2015 22:20

What is so great about these songs is that on top, the music had a lilting and breezy melodic effortlessness and yet, coupled with the lyrics, a melancholy undercurrent. They had emotion.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:21

He and Hal David were one of the greatest songwriting teams ever. So many memorable songs. And, lest we forget, he and the mighty Elvis Costello teamed up for an album.

[www.youtube.com]

And, even them boys from Liverpool covered Burt. Love this version.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 6, 2015 22:33

71Tele
Yes! Fabulous. His LP with Elvis Costello was quite good too.

God Give me Strength is as classic as a modern song can get...it has all the Bacharach grace notes, and yet not nostalgic. BB has such a distint sound.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:36

Lately I am enjoying Dusty Springfield's versions of those songs.

Dusty Springfield in 1966.

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself, 1964: [www.youtube.com]

The Look Of Love, 1967, live television appearance: [www.youtube.com]

(They Long To Be) Close To You, 1967: [www.youtube.com]

This Girl's In Love With You, 1968: [www.youtube.com]

Below are the embedded links for those who can view them.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:49

fine selection of Dusty Springfield there, stonehearted.

Date: July 6, 2015 22:50

Watching the Glastonbury set, it struck me that the singers he uses in his live shows are pretty generic, and yet it didn't really matter, because the songs are so strong. It was fantastic to see the crowd, which seemed merely polite at first in their applause, got more appreciative as the the show went on, with classic song after song winning them over. I love seeing younger audiences exposed to this stuff, and getting it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 22:51 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 7, 2015 06:40

I know it may start a stampede of "You don't know what in the hell you're talikn' 'bout" comments, but as I mentioned to the missus while listening to a soul music collection from the 1960s tonight as we swam in the pool (gets damned hot here in AZ), "We had much better music back then." Then I told her I sounded like an old phart, saying such a thing, but it's true, music was better back in the 1960s and early 70s. Bacharach and David's tunes were part of this. Reminds me of a comment made from one of my millenial generation daughter's friends to her when he heard a mix of music from then: "Why don't we have music like this?" Damn good question, ain't it. And thanks for the Dusty. She was so good.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: July 7, 2015 07:26

dmay
I know it may start a stampede of "You don't know what in the hell you're talikn' 'bout" comments, but as I mentioned to the missus while listening to a soul music collection from the 1960s tonight as we swam in the pool (gets damned hot here in AZ), "We had much better music back then." Then I told her I sounded like an old phart, saying such a thing, but it's true, music was better back in the 1960s and early 70s. Bacharach and David's tunes were part of this. Reminds me of a comment made from one of my millenial generation daughter's friends to her when he heard a mix of music from then: "Why don't we have music like this?" Damn good question, ain't it. And thanks for the Dusty. She was so good.

I'm reasonably young (born in the 90s haha) and I agree. I am pretty open to most types of music but I tend to gravitate to most stuff before 1980s because of the quality of the music, not by intention. There is some good stuff around if you look hard but there is nothing the same as what there was.

I'm a fan of Burt and his work too. Glad other people here like it too.

Date: July 7, 2015 08:42

dmay

It's true though..
My nieces are ages 14-24 and they always say things like that, about how music was so much better then. They know the cut off point.. they know that something changed in the 80s.
There is something pure, timeless and real this stuff that cuts through generational differences and influences.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 7, 2015 09:00

Yes, he has written some timeless tunes. Light and easy Listening in a good way.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 7, 2015 09:47

For me he is the king of easy listening. Hundreds of nice compositions and cool arrangements.(But I hated this kind of music back in the 60's and 70's) cool smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 7, 2015 10:00

Just because I love BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID in which his music is integral.

Date: July 7, 2015 12:07

Yes, I am - saw him at The Roundhouse in 2008 when he opened the BBC Electric Proms. He brought a few quests along to join his regular singers to sing with him.....Beth Rowley, Jamie Cullum and Adele. He was quite superb and every song was a masterpiece, in fact I didn't fully appreciate just how many hit tunes he has penned. He was 80 years old then, now in 2015 he is 87 and still performing.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 7, 2015 13:45

Here's his setlist from Glastonbury, a great video of this show is up on DIME:

Burt Bacharach
Pyramid Stage
Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts
Worthy Farm, Pilton, UK
June 27, 2015

Setlist:

01. What the World Needs Now
02. Don't Make Me Over
03. Walk On By
04. This Guy's in Love With You
05. I Say A Little Prayer
06. Trains And Boats And Planes
07. Wishin' and Hopin'
08. There's Always Something There to Remind Me
09. I'll Never Fall in Love Again
10. Only Love Can Break a Heart
11. Do You Know The Way To San Jose
12. Anyone Who Had a Heart
13. Any Day Now
14. My Little Red Book
15. The Look of Love
16. Arthur's Theme
17. What's New Pussycat?
18. The World Is A Circle
19. The April Fools
20. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (feat. Burt Bacharach)
21. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
22. Making Love
23. Wives and Lovers
24. Alfie
25. A House Is Not A Home
26. That's What Friends Are For
27. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (feat. Burt Bacharach)

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 7, 2015 15:49

dmay

Right there with you.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 7, 2015 15:49

I've always liked some of the tunes he wrote for Dionne Warwick (especially 'Do You Know the Way to San Jose'). Also wrote the tunes for the iconic 60s' film soundtrack songs 'Alfie' and 'What's New Pussycat?' which you can't ignore.

So I'm a fan, I guess (and Hal David). Amazing to see this on a Rolling Stones blog smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 7, 2015 15:58

Both Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin do killer versions of Say A Little Prayer. That's just one great song. When you remember that Hal David wrote the lyrics to convey the singer's concern for her boyfriend/husband in Vietnam at the time, it just really packs a wallop.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: July 7, 2015 16:26

Huge fan;
Brilliant songwriter and his partnership with Hal David was immense and hugely influential;
It is possible however (and I am not taking ANYTHING from BB here) that Hal David doesn't get the credit he deserves;
Alongside his fantastic work with BB David also wrote the lyrics to two of my favourite James Bond themes; "We Have All The Time In The World" from OHMSS and "Moonraker"

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 7, 2015 16:49

Long John Stoner
Both Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin do killer versions of Say A Little Prayer. That's just one great song. When you remember that Hal David wrote the lyrics to convey the singer's concern for her boyfriend/husband in Vietnam at the time, it just really packs a wallop.

Yes, great one (I forgot about that one). thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 7, 2015 20:36

Yes.

I have both the Look of Love 3cd Rhino, and Anyone Who Had a Heart 6cd boxed sets. I also have Painted From Memory by Bacharach / Costello, and The sweetest Punch, which was the jazz version of Painted From Memory with Bill Frisell and Cassandra Wilson, and Burt's collaborations with Dr Dre, Rufus Wainwright, on At This Moment.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 7, 2015 21:03

Glastonbury 2015 Burt Bacharach (Full Set)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 8, 2015 03:24

Thommie
For me he is the king of easy listening. Hundreds of nice compositions and cool arrangements.(But I hated this kind of music back in the 60's and 70's) cool smiley

Oh, but there's so much more to them. That's what makes Bacharach/David so great. Something like Walk on By or Anyone Who Had Heart are timeless because if you've ever been there - ie..broken-hearted - those lyrics and the delivery of the vocals have real emotional truth.
They last because they convey honest emotions in an organic way, never in a sentimental or contrived way. Like you just know Hal David experienced some heartbreak in his life.
And the music, BB mastered those major and minor 7 chords in a way that caught your ear and grabbed your heart.
The songs are sublime and, in their own way, as deep and honest as Dylan or Lennon/Mac or the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 03:30 by stupidguy2.

Re: OT: Burt Bacharach/Hal David - any fans here?
Date: July 8, 2015 03:32

jrcjohnny99
Huge fan;
Brilliant songwriter and his partnership with Hal David was immense and hugely influential;
It is possible however (and I am not taking ANYTHING from BB here) that Hal David doesn't get the credit he deserves;
Alongside his fantastic work with BB David also wrote the lyrics to two of my favourite James Bond themes; "We Have All The Time In The World" from OHMSS and "Moonraker"

Absolutely, and the OP header should have read Bacharach/Hal David..excellent point.

BB was the handsome guy married to Angie Dickinson, so he was kind of the guy..
But Hal David gave BB's music their emotional and universal truth. He wasn't in the spotlight as much and seemed to prefer it that way. But one without the other is like Mick without Keith.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 03:38 by stupidguy2.

Date: July 8, 2015 03:34

Mr.D
Here's his setlist from Glastonbury, a great video of this show is up on DIME:

Burt Bacharach
Pyramid Stage
Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts
Worthy Farm, Pilton, UK
June 27, 2015

Setlist:

01. What the World Needs Now
02. Don't Make Me Over
03. Walk On By
04. This Guy's in Love With You
05. I Say A Little Prayer
06. Trains And Boats And Planes
07. Wishin' and Hopin'
08. There's Always Something There to Remind Me
09. I'll Never Fall in Love Again
10. Only Love Can Break a Heart
11. Do You Know The Way To San Jose
12. Anyone Who Had a Heart
13. Any Day Now
14. My Little Red Book
15. The Look of Love
16. Arthur's Theme
17. What's New Pussycat?
18. The World Is A Circle
19. The April Fools
20. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (feat. Burt Bacharach)
21. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
22. Making Love
23. Wives and Lovers
24. Alfie
25. A House Is Not A Home
26. That's What Friends Are For
27. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (feat. Burt Bacharach)

Small gripe: I kept waiting for Close to You.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2015 03:35

Forgot about Anyone Who Had A Heart.

Dusty Springfield recorded her version on January 21, 1964 at Olympic Studios and it's on her debut album A Girl Called Dusty.

[www.youtube.com]

Embedded YouTube link below:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home