Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Slash guitar style
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 9, 2011 16:56

Mathijs
windmelody
Slash fit into Guns'n'Roses, but I do not believe that he could fit into the Stones.

On the Far East Man DVD (and thus London gigs) Slash studied all I've Got My Own Album To Do guitar parts. At the gigs he played all Taylor's part note-for-note, same sound, same feeling, including the phase and chorus Taylor used in the day.

There's this All American Hero Slash, and there's a tastefull, sofisticated guitar player Slash.

The latter fits the Stones very well.

Mathijs

You gotta be kidding me. Now I know for a fact you have no clue....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 00:53 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 9, 2011 18:29

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
windmelody
Slash fit into Guns'n'Roses, but I do not believe that he could fit into the Stones.

On the Far East Man DVD (and thus London gigs) Slash studied all I've Got My Own Album To Do guitar parts. At the gigs he played all Taylor's part note-for-note, same sound, same feeling, including the phase and chorus Taylor used in the day.

There's this All American Hero Slash, and there's a tastefull, sofisticated guitar player Slash.

The latter fits the Stones very well.

You gotta be kidding me. Now I know for a fact you have no clue....

Mathijs

seems you have no clue how to edit your post. . . .or use the preview button.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: June 9, 2011 20:35

Yeah mathijs...that locomotive riff is killer...have you seen the youtube clip of him doing it with jeff beck?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:37

i started listening to gnr because i heard slash say he was a mick taylor fan.i figured the guy must know his stuff talking about taylor during a time when most guitar players could only say "eddie van halen maaaan"i was right...

the guns shows i saw in the late 80s were some of the best live rock and roll i've ever seen.they were never the same after izzy left though.izzys first record blows keiths two solo discs away,its not even a contest.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:23

I only like Izzy Stradlin's first album, the duett with Ron Wood is great.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:29

I started listening to gnr because i heard slash say he was a mick taylor fan.i figured the guy must know his stuff talking about taylor during a time when most guitar players could only say "eddie van halen maaaan"i was right. <lem motlow>

EVH was a rather innovative player those days.
Slash didn't invent the wheel to put it mildly....

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:59

Amsterdamned
I started listening to gnr because i heard slash say he was a mick taylor fan.i figured the guy must know his stuff talking about taylor during a time when most guitar players could only say "eddie van halen maaaan"i was right. <lem motlow>

i didnt say anything about eddies playing ability or slashs.if you were around at the time you will recall almost every guitar player copied[or tried to] van halen,playing a million notes a minute with very little groove or feel.slash brought back the old school style of playing.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 9, 2011 23:28

guitarbastard
MCDDTLC
Slash has said, many times he's a BIG Mick Taylor fan!!!

I also appreciate his solo's on: Sweet Child Of Mine & November Rain..

MLC

dont like the song november rain too much, but what he does in the last solo ist just killer: he plays that awesome melodie (or theme) till he end of the song but the 3rd time he changes that one little note (0:51). that little change has such a dramatic effect (to me) its just so brilliant! check out:

Oh Lord, this is a great solo

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 9, 2011 23:36

Amsterdamned
yeah thats a hard one! its not easy nailing slashs licks and solos. it's a pretty complex track also arrangment wise and rhytmicly.
did u read what i wrote about the november rain solo? it seems that no one shares the love for that small little but o so dramatic change. i was always fascinated by that little trick...
<guitarbastard>

I can recommend you to increase your right hand speed and alternate picking, in combination with left hand chromatic exercises: Staccato & HO & PO, blues scale related in particular. Harmonically & Technically "Locomotive" is playable. Slash is no Satriani/Vay for that matter.

Recommended literature: Play Blues and Rock. Part 2: Loek van der Knaap. (tabs + notation).
If you can read music: A modern method for guitar volume 2. William g. Leavitt, Berklee series guitar. Saves a lot of time once you can play these, regardless the
rock/blues player you want to copy. When it comes to feeling: You're on your own!!

Good Luck.

It's not the technique or scales that's hard to copy, in fact most isn't hard at all. But as with many Taylor parts it's the feel and timing that's hard to copy. Take Taylor's Tumbling Dice solo from Brussels. It is very simple Bpentatonic, just 5 notes. But it's the feel and timing that makes it almost impossible to get right.

Mathijs

Date: June 10, 2011 00:10

That's what I said: When it comes to feeling,: You're on your own.

Date: June 10, 2011 00:37

lem motlow
Amsterdamned

i didnt say anything about eddies playing ability or slashs.if you were around at the time you will recall almost every guitar player copied[or tried to] van halen,playing a million notes a minute with very little groove or feel.slash brought back the old school style of playing.

lem motlow
Amsterdamned

Neither did I.
Yes, I was around at that time. When people start to copy a player, he's doing something well, ain't it?
Imo vH had a great feel too.
And what's wrong with playing a million notes a minute when it moves you?

Slash woke up a young generation of guitar players to enjoy the "old school of rock" again, that's true. It's never really been away though. Slash proved it, as he was the most succesfull copier....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 00:39 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:59

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
yeah thats a hard one! its not easy nailing slashs licks and solos. it's a pretty complex track also arrangment wise and rhytmicly.
did u read what i wrote about the november rain solo? it seems that no one shares the love for that small little but o so dramatic change. i was always fascinated by that little trick...
<guitarbastard>

I can recommend you to increase your right hand speed and alternate picking, in combination with left hand chromatic exercises: Staccato & HO & PO, blues scale related in particular. Harmonically & Technically "Locomotive" is playable. Slash is no Satriani/Vay for that matter.

Recommended literature: Play Blues and Rock. Part 2: Loek van der Knaap. (tabs + notation).
If you can read music: A modern method for guitar volume 2. William g. Leavitt, Berklee series guitar. Saves a lot of time once you can play these, regardless the
rock/blues player you want to copy. When it comes to feeling: You're on your own!!

Good Luck.

It's not the technique or scales that's hard to copy, in fact most isn't hard at all. But as with many Taylor parts it's the feel and timing that's hard to copy. Take Taylor's Tumbling Dice solo from Brussels. It is very simple Bpentatonic, just 5 notes. But it's the feel and timing that makes it almost impossible to get right.

Mathijs

Maybe because you don't have any feel for time yourself. Keep practicing. You'll get there. Remember to always tap your foot Mathijs. Just stay at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 19:00 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 10, 2011 09:01

Amsterdamned
lem motlow
Amsterdamned

lem motlow
Amsterdamned

Neither did I.
Yes, I was around at that time. When people start to copy a player, he's doing something well, ain't it?

Slash woke up a young generation of guitar players to enjoy the "old school of rock" again, that's true. It's never really been away though. Slash proved it, as he was the most succesfull copier....

IMO, Slash brought in some new elements as well. His style is a weird mix of classic rock, a tad of heavy rock and some Django Reinhardt-ish licks thrown in there. The result is often remarkable, imo. When Slash plays fast, the latter licks seem to be there always.

His rhythm playing is ok, but a bit to 80s for me.

Date: June 10, 2011 14:40

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
lem motlow
Amsterdamned

lem motlow
Amsterdamned

Neither did I.

IMO, Slash brought in some new elements as well. His style is a weird mix of classic rock, a tad of heavy rock and some Django Reinhardt-ish licks thrown in there. The result is often remarkable, imo. When Slash plays fast, the latter licks seem to be there always.

His rhythm playing is ok, but a bit to 80s for me.

Too much "hardrock" for me. I don't know where to put him really..imo his tone comes from the amp more instead of his fingers.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 10, 2011 14:46

Amsterdamned has a point here.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 12, 2011 21:28

Amsterdamned

Too much "hardrock" for me. I don't know where to put him really..imo his tone comes from the amp more instead of his fingers.

disagree. slash is NOT hardrock. in the middle of the shredding aera he brought back the guitarplaying thats based on feeling. he went for the melodies and the phrasing!
his style is very lyrical and loose but he also has more than decent skills. some solos are not easy to play. and a tone is always a combination of your "fingers" and your setup. alot of player dont pay that much attention to their equipment. slash really found the combination that suits his playing the best!
again: for me slash is still underrated. he was one oh THE big guys for me and will always be!

Date: June 12, 2011 21:42

for me slash is still underrated. he was one oh THE big guys for me and will always be! <guitarbastard.>

You must be a "Slasherite", reading your passionated post.smiling smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 12, 2011 21:55

Amsterdamned
for me slash is still underrated. he was one oh THE big guys for me and will always be! <guitarbastard.>

You must be a "Slasherite", reading your passionated post.smiling smiley

YEAH!!!! dont like his solo efforts. but with gnr at his prime he was amazing!

Date: June 12, 2011 23:41

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home