Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who was or is a better rhythm guitarist? Ron Wood or Mick Taylor.
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 26, 2015 16:32

We all know who is the best rhythm player in the band and probably rock n roll, but which lead player played the rhythm better?

Peace

Re: Who was or is your favourite rhythm guitarist? Ron Wood or Mick Taylor.
Date: May 26, 2015 16:43

Depends on what you like to listen to. None of them really have the patience to be great, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 18:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Who was or is a better rhythm guitarist? Ron Wood or Mick Taylor.
Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:00

Patience? My frame of reference is only with the Stones. But in that frame of reference, MT didn't have to and RW had to do whatever he was told to do. Paraphrasing from CW "Ronnie could play anything...". Given that my response is Ron Wood.

But the true answer is even simpler. KR

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:12

Taylor as a rhythm player divides opinion. Some people really like his approach, others find it very flat and lacking in Keith-esque swing. Either way, it's not what he's known for, but I think some of his rhythm work on Stones records is brilliant however you cut it - Bitch, the jazzy accompaniment under the CYHMK sax solo, the weaving on Shake Your Hips, his comping on the Brussels Midnight Rambler.

Wood is a really fantastic rhythm player, but I don't think the Stones showcase him as such very well. Hey Negrita is one of the obvious exceptions, but generally speaking that infectious, instinctive groove he has is less a feature of his playing with the Stones and more obvious in his other work. In order to hear Wood's rhythm playing at its best you have to listen to the Faces and his solo records:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 17:13 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:13

So boooring

Date: May 26, 2015 17:15

On Hey Negrita, Ronnie plays the lead guitar throughout. Keith plays the rhythm guitar.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:17

So boooring

Especially when you know this is going to turn out.

MT is a god.

RW blows. And so does your mother.

Date: May 26, 2015 17:22

DandelionPowderman
On Hey Negrita, Ronnie plays the lead guitar throughout. Keith plays the rhythm guitar.

I know, I was referring to the riff that runs throughout the song. I don't disagree with your rhythm/lead taxonomy per se, but you can certainly argue that Ronnie's part on Hey Negrita is a great example of his rhythm playing.

Re: Who was your favourite rhythm guitarist? Ron Wood or Mick Taylor.
Date: May 26, 2015 17:27

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I know, I was referring to the riff that runs throughout the song. I don't disagree with your rhythm/lead taxonomy per se, but you can certainly argue that Ronnie's part on Hey Negrita is a great example of his rhythm playing.

I call that kind of playing lead guitar, but by all means.. everybody don't think alike.

I agree that it affects the rhythm in the song, though, and it contributes to keep up the drive. But for me it's a melody on top of / extending what Keith plays.

It's hard judging Ronnie's rhythm playing with the Stones, since he came in when they started the weaving thing, where it changed back and forth.

If I should pick a great rhythm guitar with the Stones it has to be this one:

Date: May 26, 2015 17:47

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I call that kind of playing lead guitar, but by all means.. everybody don't think alike.

I agree that it affects the rhythm in the song, though, and it contributes to keep up the drive. But for me it's a melody on top of / extending what Keith plays.

It's hard judging Ronnie's rhythm playing with the Stones, since he came in when they started the weaving thing, where it changed back and forth.

If I should pick a great rhythm guitar with the Stones it has to be this one:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Hey Negrita Ronnie's audition for the Stones during those sessions? As in, he bought the riff in, and Keith added the open G thing later? I've always heard that track as Keith complimenting Ronnie, rather than Ronnie playing to Keith.

Like I say, I've no problem in principle with the idea that the lead guitar is whichever guitar drives the song, whether it does so with chords or single notes. Still, it's useful for us Taylorites to be able to refer to Taylor's part on Bitch as rhythm guitar, since virtually everyone agrees it's great and so it provides a kind of instant comeback to the 'MT couldn't play rhythm' school of thought...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 17:48 by Stoneburst.

Date: May 26, 2015 17:49

I think Wood already passed "the audition" at The Wick winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 18:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:58

I like Taylor on Shake Your Hips and the alternate All Down the Line. I think he plays sort of a hybrid on Traveling Man, and I love it (obviously).

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:20

Ask any guitarist to play Taylor's rhythm guitar + fills on Yaya's, SFTD, the verses, and you know enough. 3 simple chords only. I haven't heard anyone yet playing it as tasty as Taylor.

Date: May 26, 2015 18:22

LuxuryStones
Ask any guitarist to play Taylor's rhythm guitar + fills on Yaya's, SFTD, the verses, and you know enough. 3 simple chords only. I haven't heard anyone yet playing it as tasty as Taylor.

Are you talking about the little descending licks with the G and E string he does in between?

Or just the standard root chord funky strumming in E, D and A?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 18:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:23

"better" makes sense when you are talking about race cars, sprinting, etc., things where you can objectively measure outcomes.

for example: was muhammad ali the greatest?

"better" makes no sense when you are talking about creative endeavors. i assume we mean "favorite" in this case.

my favorite rhythm player other than KR is mick taylor but man it gets harder to say that the more i am exposed to his resentment (by reading interviews with him) and how hard core and nasty his fans can be.

Date: May 26, 2015 18:28

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Are you talking about the little descending licks with the G and E string he does in between?

Both. It's funky indeed.

Date: May 26, 2015 18:31

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Both. It's funky indeed.

The first thing is very cool indeed, but has very little to do with rhythm guitar, imo. He really masters finding the right spots here - very effective!

The strumming is ok, but not groundbreaking, imo. Suits the song well, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 18:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 26, 2015 18:42

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Both. It's funky indeed.

The first thing is very cool indeed, but has very little to do with rhythm guitar, imo. He really masters finding the right spots here - very effective!

The strumming is ok, but not groundbreaking, imo. Suits the song well, though.

He plays something similar on TOGWT with Jack Bruce, MorningStory, although the chords are a bit more difficult. I love the relaxed but steady feel. It's in his character I believe. smiling smiley

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:44

Date: May 26, 2015 18:46

DoctorFreddie
[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 18:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:51

So boooring

Haha ditto.
Why did I even open this thread?

Outta here.............................. >

Date: May 26, 2015 18:54

Hairball
So boooring

Haha ditto.

Maybe for the best if these are your and 1962's best contributions to this topic winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2015 19:01

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
So boooring

Haha ditto.

Maybe for the best if these are your and 1962's best contributions to this topic winking smiley

Hahaha sorry I'm back for one more.
Indeed a valid topic, but it reminded me of the recent post where someone said there should be a separate thread for who stinks worse - MT vs. Ronnie. smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2015 19:04

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
So boooring

Haha ditto.

Hahaha sorry I'm back for one more.
Indeed a valid topic, but it reminded me of the recent post where someone said there should be a separate thread for who stinks worse - MT vs. Ronnie. smiling smiley

LOL!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 26, 2015 19:19

Brian Jones.

Date: May 26, 2015 19:27

stonehearted
Brian Jones.

Nope, Keith Richards.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 26, 2015 19:34

Of course, we are talking of Ronnie and Mick both in their best days.

When discussing rhythmic abilities of a guitarist, I tend to include all contributions that make a piece of music interesting from a rhythmic point of view, it doesn't matter if single notes, double stops or full chords.

So, for example, I would definitely consider Ronnie's work on songs like Negrita, Some Girls, Everything's Turning To Gold, Whip etc. great example of his rhythmic abilities. By the same criteria, a part from the obvious Bitch, Hips, etc. also the wha wha part on 100 years ago, the best outro solo's on Street fighting man etc. should be considered when discussing Taylor's sense of rhythm.

So who is my favorite?

Well, Taylor was good, but I consider Wood to be one of the most exciting rock guitarist ever! His versatility is amazing. His ability to fit in so many different contexts. He can spell "rhythm" in god knows how many languages. The other day people were discussing Taylor with Preston's band in 73. Well, just go listen what Ronnie does during Billy's solo spot in the 75/76 tour!

Of course, I agree that it is stupid to say one is "better" than the other. But for sure it means something (for me) that it's almost always Ronnie's parts that make me want to pick up the guitar and see how they work!

C

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 26, 2015 19:59

For me rhythm and lead work are so intertwined that the question can be worded as who is a better guitarist. IMO, Mick Taylor by a long shot. Mostly because of the many times Taylor has made me sit up and take notice and go WOW, that was sweet!

Ronnie is probably a better band mate, but rarely have I heard his playing and been inspired to the point of picking up my guitar and trying to play along. No doubt he is well rounded and can play the parts well but he hasn't really developed that thing that all great guitarists like Taylor, Keith, and so many other have....his own sound and style. Some may disagree with me but I would encourage them to post something from the last 30 years which is "signature" Ronnie. Sure he added something to Some Girls all those years ago but where has he hasn't developed or grown that sound and style much.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 20:03

Naturalust
For me rhythm and lead work are so intertwined that the question can be worded as who is a better guitarist. IMO, Mick Taylor by a long shot. Mostly because of the many times Taylor has made me sit up and take notice and go WOW, that was sweet!

Ronnie is probably a better band mate, but rarely have I heard his playing and been inspired to the point of picking up my guitar and trying to play along. No doubt he is well rounded and can play the parts well but he hasn't really developed that thing that all great guitarists like Taylor, Keith, and so many other have....his own sound and style. Some may disagree with me but I would encourage them to post something from the last 30 years which is "signature" Ronnie. Sure he added something to Some Girls all those years ago but where has he hasn't developed or grown that sound and style much.

peace

You say that Ronnie is a good band mate, and hasn't done anything innovative since "Some Girls". Neither have any of the Rolling Stones. What kind of band mate would Ronnie be if he showed up his band members by developing or growing after Some Girls?!?

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 26, 2015 20:06

Another thread that keeps Ronnie VS Taylor. These guys are friends and respect each others playing very much. Who's better? Does it really matter? Ron Wood is an excellent guitarist that never gets a real opportunity to shine in the Stones format. That's why I suspect he does his own concerts and albums. Mick Taylor is also an outstanding guitarist. Both have played rhythm and both do a fine job.

If its really good rhythm you like listen to old soul music singles and James Brown singles.His band was smoking hot. I am sure the Stones were deeply influenced by the rhythm from that era. You cam hear it on KR solo albums. Rhythm is something that makes my toe tap. Both Ronnie and Mick T doe that for me. Keith especially!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home