Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Who was or is a better rhythm guitarist? Ron Wood or Mick Taylor.
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:40

stonehearted
<<contrary to M.T. he's not available>>

But as with special guest star MT, Bill, if he'd stayed on from 2012, would have been given the heave-ho for the current tour.

Perhaps it was just a case of leave before they let him go. He wanted to be the one to walk. Having them give him a "Your services are no longer required" note would have defeated the whole purpose of his having left in the first place.

MT left for his own reasons, which to this day remain a bit vague.

Bill left for definite reasons, to give his life new meaning and direction. It would make sense that he wouldn't want to be dragged around the world as just a celebratory figure with a limited cameo, because, unlike MT, he has a life, a career, interests of his own that keep him occupied. Even with just one writing credit as a Rolling Stone to his name, he can afford to not accept a patronizing handout followed by walking papers.

yeah much as i'm not a fan of the dating teenagers or peddling metal detectors, i respect how bill left the band and think he played it smart. he earned his "f*** you" money (as we call it in the states) and moved on.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:49

When it comes to playing with Keith within The Stones, Mick T is a much better guitar player than Ron Wood period. Whether that's playing lead or rhythm, it does not matter. Keith and Mick T complimented each other perfectly. Ronnie is too much like Keith.... Ron was at his best with a guitar when he was in The Faces, or on his own albums (Especially the first one) and not playing second fiddle to Keith. What I loved about Mick T is that you could always hear what he was playing, and whether that be lead or rhythm, he was much more creative than Ronnie. A lot of the time you can't even hear what Ron is playing. Just listen to what Mick T plays at the beginning of HTW on Brussels, it's simple, but very funky!

Posted by: StickyExile98 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:05

As much as I love Taylor, I'm probably one of the few that actually prefers Woody over the two. He's such a unique and creative player, especially in terms of rhythm guitar. Listen to his stuff with the Faces, it's much better then anything he's ever done with the Stones. His style is so distinctive, and there's really nobody out there that plays quite like Ronnie does.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:18

Since I've gone off topic repeatedly in this thread beginning with my initial tongue in cheek post, I'll contribute by saying Ron Wood, in that, while probably not technically a superior musician to MT Wood does at least have better sympatico with Keith and they are able to alternate between rhythm and lead more seamlessly. Besides, Mick Taylor wasn't selected in the first place for his rhythm chops, he was selected because it was very trendy at the time to have a prominent and distinctive lead guitar sound.

Better rhythm guitarist? I'll leave that technical aspect to the guitar players on here to hash out. But better Rolling Stone? Ron Wood by a country (honk) mile.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:23

StickyExile98
As much as I love Taylor, I'm probably one of the few that actually prefers Woody over the two. He's such a unique and creative player, especially in terms of rhythm guitar. Listen to his stuff with the Faces, it's much better then anything he's ever done with the Stones. His style is so distinctive, and there's really nobody out there that plays quite like Ronnie does.

I don't think I'd actually take him over Taylor because they're both brilliant in their own ways, but I totally agree with everything you say here. That groove is totally infectious, all his own, and a large part of why he and Taylor play so brilliantly together.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:25

StickyExile98

Indeed he had something special going on back then. But I'm not sure I could call what he's done for the past 30 years a distinctive style. I'd have a hard time listening to any of his playing the past three decades and definitely saying "Oh, that's Ronnie Wood" for any other reason than I knew he was playing on that song.

peace

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:33

What's so good with having a distinctive style?
Keith style is painfully distinctive at this point...
Listen to Bitch from Petco Park 2015, his licks are so predictable that it I'm about to puke...

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:37

Naturalust
StickyExile98

Indeed he had something special going on back then. But I'm not sure I could call what he's done for the past 30 years a distinctive style. I'd have a hard time listening to any of his playing the past three decades and definitely saying "Oh, that's Ronnie Wood" for any other reason than I knew he was playing on that song.

peace

There's very little distinctive about his playing with the Stones, sure, but even these days you could (I think) listen blind to his playing on the 100 Club gig or the Jimmy Reed shows and know it was him.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:42

EasterMan
Listen to Bitch from Petco Park 2015, his licks are so predictable that it I'm about to puke...

Ha! I guess it's more important to guitar players. Makes them stand out in a crowd and catch the ears of the gatekeepers. winking smiley Besides playing predictable parts is a totally different thing than having a distinctive style.

But perhaps it's an accomplishment on it's own that Ronnie has been playing so long and has failed to find his. I initially thought his "Stay With Me" approach was going to be his style but it has kind of been diluted somewhat during his Stones tenure.

peace

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:58

Naturalust
EasterMan

Ha! I guess it's more important to guitar players. Makes them stand out in a crowd and catch the ears of the gatekeepers. winking smiley Besides playing predictable parts is a totally different thing than having a distinctive style.

But perhaps it's an accomplishment on it's own that Ronnie has been playing so long and has failed to find his. I initially thought his "Stay With Me" approach was going to be his style but it has kind of been diluted somewhat during his Stones tenure.

peace

I'm a guitar player myself but I find it more important to stand out by playing better than the rest, rather than standing out by having a distinctive style smiling smiley

If you develop a style which is too unique, it may become repetitive. And I think this is what has happened to Keith. I still love his guitar playing but I just wish he would mix it up a bit more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 00:08 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 27, 2015 00:06

Ron has so many songs showcasing his excellent rhythm playing that it isn't even close. I put Ronnie on top of both in today's Stones.

Date: May 27, 2015 00:44

EasterMan

And thank god for that!

Finding your own voice is what music is all about for me. Or else we would just be biting eachother's tails.

I can spot Ronnie's playing with the Stones within a tenth of a second. Much faster than I can tell that it is Eric Clapton playing. It is simply not true that he doesn't have a distinctive style, like other posters claim here.

Turn it around, who else play like Ronnie?

Keith can be predictable, but he sure has more surprises up his sleeve than most players smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 00:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2015 04:06

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
71Tele
I prefer Mick Jagger's rhythm playing to either of them. He brings a certain style that's all his. I would say the other two see rhythm more as a functional thing and are not terribly distinctive.

Really? To be honest I don't like his playing on Sway and Winter that much. It's some strange kind of strumming he does. Not really playing rhythm imo.

Really ? I took me 30 years to realize it was Jagger instead of Keith playing Sway.

Yeah, and listen to Stop Breaking Down. It's confident, mean and bad.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2015 04:11

stonehearted
<<contrary to M.T. he's not available>>

But as with special guest star MT, Bill, if he'd stayed on from 2012, would have been given the heave-ho for the current tour.

Perhaps it was just a case of leave before they let him go. He wanted to be the one to walk. Having them give him a "Your services are no longer required" note would have defeated the whole purpose of his having left in the first place.

MT left for his own reasons, which to this day remain a bit vague.

Bill left for definite reasons, to give his life new meaning and direction. It would make sense that he wouldn't want to be dragged around the world as just a celebratory figure with a limited cameo, because, unlike MT, he has a life, a career, interests of his own that keep him occupied. Even with just one writing credit as a Rolling Stone to his name, he can afford to not accept a patronizing handout followed by walking papers.

I don't think Taylor's reasons for leaving were vague, rather it's that there were so many reasons he left. His version of events has changed over the years, which makes it seem vague, but I think when you combine the drugs, Keith's indifference to him, his larger uncredited creative role, his musical boredom, the fact that it seemed given Keith's condition the band might not be around many more years; then add a bit of youthful pride and ego, and it's no mystery why he left.

Now, looking back at the money machine the Stones have been for the past few decades and it certainly seems like a terrible decision, but the landscape looked a lot different in 1974.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 04:12 by 71Tele.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 27, 2015 07:40

If you have to ask, you know very little about guitar players. This is a baiting thread, some people just want to pick fights.

Date: May 27, 2015 07:50

DandelionPowderman

I can spot Ronnie's playing with the Stones within a tenth of a second. Much faster than I can tell that it is Eric Clapton playing. It is simply not true that he doesn't have a distinctive style, like other posters claim here.

I guess that makes you a Ronnieologist. I suspected as much. winking smiley With the Stones it's easier for me to pick out what not Keith that what's Ronnie. Curious what you could give up as an example of Ronnie's distinctive style from the past 25 years or so.

peace

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 08:06

Ok, who is a player here? Let's start a band! We can open for the Stones and call ourselves "Turds on the runs".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home