Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: In memoriam James Arness
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2011 02:42

Actor James Arness has died at age 88. He was very well known, and loved, in Sweden for his role as Zeb Macahan in the Western series "How The West Was Won". A smash hit in Sweden at the time. He will be missed.

Re: OT: In memoriam James Arness
Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: June 4, 2011 03:29

I will always remember him as Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke growing up. Got me interested in westerns as a kid I had the full outfit hat, gun, holster. RIP James.

Posted by: mfb ()
Date: June 4, 2011 03:37

yeh, Matt Dillon a major character for years for many in the States. Pretty wild early life...worked Carribean freighters in the 1930s, hopped railroad cars...later, a wife and daughter both dead from drug ODs... that lined out face came the hard way it seems. ALot of great work.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 4, 2011 04:07

Rip

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2011 04:08

One of the early staples of American TV in the 1950s when television went from being an East Coast urban experience to spreading across the country and appealing to a more rural audience. He also starred in a horror film, 'The Thing'?

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: June 4, 2011 05:00

He was Peter Graves' (Mission Impossible) brother; both TV icons.
RIP Mr. Dillon

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 4, 2011 05:09

From [www.jamesarness.com]

"Hi friends,

I decided to write a letter to you for Janet to post on our website in the event I was no longer here.

I had a wonderful life and was blessed with some many loving people and great friends. The best part of my life was my family, especially my wife Janet. Many of you met her at Dodge City so you understand what a special person she is.

I wanted to take this time to thank all of you for the many years of being a fan of Gunsmoke, The Thing, How the West Was Won and all the other fun projects I was lucky enough to have been allowed to be a part of. I had the privilege of working with so many great actors over the years.

I was honored to have served in the army for my country. I was at Anzio during WWII and it makes you realize how very precious life is.

Thank you again for all the many letters, cards, emails and gifts we received from you over the years. You are and always have been truly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim Arness"

RIP

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 4, 2011 13:21

Yes, I remember him very well. Thank you Stoneage for posting this. RIP.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 4, 2011 16:25

TV icon of my youth. You'll be missed, Marshall Dillon.

Date: June 4, 2011 23:38

this is wierd, but i had just watched an episode of gunsmoke, turn over to cnn, and there was the anchor saying he had died.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2011 23:53

I see that he is mostly recognized for Gunsmoke. Regrettably that series was never aired in Sweden (as far as I know). How was the impact of "How the West was won" in the U.S.? Here it was a smash hit.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 5, 2011 00:03

Great actor-- a pioneer of the American TV Western---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1207
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home