Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - No smoke in Amsterdam?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 3, 2011 00:53

steverogan
What are the chance smoke will be outlawed to tourists? and when is it to occure? Any help is greatly appreciated

Nobody knows for sure yet. Government is making plans. But the Dutch have always been very inventive when it comes to finding solutions for government plans.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 3, 2011 12:57

steverogan
Has anyone actually answered the question? What are the chance smoke will be outlawed to tourists? and when is it to occure? Any help is greatly appreciated

It won't happen. Coffeeshops pay tax. Simple as that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 3, 2011 13:09

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is this proposed law subject to a vote by the people or can this be enacted by government alone?

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 3, 2011 14:26

Edith Grove
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is this proposed law subject to a vote by the people or can this be enacted by government alone?

Government alone

Date: June 3, 2011 14:29

Amsterdamned
steverogan
Has anyone actually answered the question? What are the chance smoke will be outlawed to tourists? and when is it to occure? Any help is greatly appreciated

Wrong, it will happen very soon. You should read de Telegraaf more carefully...
You'll have to get a membership card to buy weed. You can only obtain such a card with a Dutch passport.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 3, 2011 15:33

Vocalion
Amsterdamned
steverogan

You'll have to get a membership card to buy weed. You can only obtain such a card with a Dutch passport.
For the outsiders. "de Telegraaf" is the right wing newspaper in Holland. A bit like the Sun, or Bildzeitung in its own dutch way.
There was a good comment in some newspaper stating that the problem is that Coffeeshops don't have a lobbyist walking around in parliament. As in all democracies, that is the way to get your voice heard.
I don't know if it will happen. The economic consequences are quite big. A lot of tourists come to Amsterdam to smoke, so I doubt if they will really slaughter the chicken with the golden eggs. Probably exceptions will be made for the bigger coffeeshops in the center of Amsterdam.

As for the earlier post about the place having changed. Yes it has. For instance, the businesses and factories that were still in town in the beginning of the 90s have now left. It's all residential now within the ring road. And very expensive too.
The price of an apartment now is about four times the price it was in 1993.
The center with the canals has become a playground for the nation. There are a lot of self-satisfied people in their 50s and 60s living along the canals who are not so charmed by this development.

The marihuana you used to smoke in 1992 is a lot stronger now. Or so they say, cause I haven't smoked it since 1994 or so.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 3, 2011 15:37

Vocalion
Amsterdamned
steverogan

And that will drive everything underground again, with worse possible consequences.

Date: June 3, 2011 18:36

It won't happen. Coffeeshops pay tax. Simple as that. <Amsterdamned>

<Vocalion>

You read the Telegraaf ? grinning smiley You Might as well read "the Sun" or "Bild".
These papers mostly write sensational things people are interested in, like writing: no weed for foreigners in Amsterdam, but seldom well fundamented facts.
Maybe in Maastricht foreigners don't get acces to coffeeshops, cause Maastricht has a lot of issues with foreign criminal acivities, as Belgium and Germany are close, and these countries have a more regid Drugs-policy. They will have to look for different solutions in some cases.

A membership card can only be forbidden if soft drugs are an illegal product in
Holland. It's legal though. Basically the European court in Luxemburg has given "Green Light" for a membership card in Holland. So everybody in the world can buy it, or no one. And that's not likely to happen. We live in a free world.

Amsterdam and "The Hague" are not stupid. They prefer Tax income, as every year over 1000.000 tourists visit coffee shops in Amsterdam only...

No one can predict the future for a 100% of course.
Maybe tomorrow The Russians invade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 19:43 by Amsterdamned.

Date: June 3, 2011 18:45

You read the Telegraaf?

No, I assumed you did.

Re: OT - No smoke in Amsterdam?grinning smiley
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 3, 2011 19:31

Maybe tomorrow The Russians invade.

De Telegraaf has announced that as well, years ago, but it didn't happen.
Well, they invaded big football clubs with their money, maybe even Ajax Amsterdam in the future. We'll read it in De Telegraaf.

Date: June 3, 2011 19:49

Well Kleer, there are a lot of Russians in Amsterdam, but that's quite an other matter. winking smiley

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: June 5, 2011 14:10

steverogan
What are the chance smoke will be outlawed to tourists?
You know how hard it is to predict politicians, don't you? My best guess would be 50/50.
steverogan
and when is it to occure?
At some point in the future, obviously. Once again, it's hard to predict how fast this will go, but I wouldn't expect them to be done before the end of the year.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 5, 2011 16:57

There will always be smoke available in Amsterdam. If only locals can buy it, then an underground market will develop with locals rather than the coffeehouses selling to the tourists.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 5, 2011 17:38

I do not participate in the use of spleef or hashish. However, if alcohol is legal then the same rules should apply. Actually, the more I think about it alcohol is probably worse of the two substances. I've never seen anyone high, act violent. the same cannot be said about booze.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 5, 2011 17:42

MILKYWAY
There will always be smoke available in Amsterdam.

If not from the coffeeshops then from the exhaust pipes of the cars

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2011 20:34

Chris Fountain
I do not participate in the use of spleef or hashish. However, if alcohol is legal then the same rules should apply. Actually, the more I think about it alcohol is probably worse of the two substances. I've never seen anyone high, act violent. the same cannot be said about booze.

I would like to hear an explaination of why they say alcohol is A-OK but smoke is not. It makes no sense.

Date: June 5, 2011 21:04

Ive been playing with and heard a lot of musicians, beginners and good ones, and I can assure you that the stoned ones perform at a lower level, suffer from lack of concentration and discipline in general or just forget their stuff. This compared to the clean ones performing under the same circumstances.
I belonged to both categories..

When I was 19 years old me and my friends drove our cars in the 4th gear driving 10 mph, the wipers turned on and the sun shining bright, after a good smoke. It was great fun though. cool smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 5, 2011 21:10

Max'sKansasCity
I would like to hear an explaination of why they say alcohol is A-OK but smoke is not.

Hemp has many good uses, and I've heard that, way back when, companies such as DuPont, etc., lobbied Washington heavily to outlaw hemp to keep that industry from competing.

Date: June 5, 2011 21:18

Amsterdamned
..... I can assure you that the stoned ones perform at a lower level, suffer from lack of concentration and discipline in general .....

I wonder what Bob would say about your comment?

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
I would like to hear an explaination of why they say alcohol is A-OK but smoke is not.

Hemp has many good uses, and I've heard that, way back when, companies such as DuPont, etc., lobbied Washington heavily to outlaw hemp to keep that industry from competing.

That explain the US stupidity (rigged crap) but why the difference in Amsterdam to today?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 21:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: June 5, 2011 21:24

Don't quote me on this, but there might be some bud out of a Californy dispensary around in Harm City. Although, not sure whether it cures glaucoma or causes it.tongue sticking out smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 5, 2011 21:40

Brue
Don't quote me on this, but there might be some bud out of a Californy dispensary around in Harm City. Although, not sure whether it cures glaucoma or causes it.tongue sticking out smileysmoking smiley

I hear masturbation causes blindness; How many here wear glasses? drinking smiley

Date: June 5, 2011 21:41

Amsterdamned
..... I can assure you that the stoned ones perform at a lower level, suffer from lack of concentration and discipline in general .....

I wonder what would Bob say about your comment?<Max'sKansasCity>

He probably would disagree. Some people are more sensitive than others, and music is great for stoned people, just like sex or food. And there is something like an "automatic pilot", and routine.
Ive been playing Toto's "Rosanna" with a coverband back in the 8-tees, a 180 times a year. We still played it very well after 10 pints.

But on the long term THC and Alcohol can course Brain damage.
That's why I edit my posts that often.winking smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 5, 2011 21:46

I wonder what the EU will say. By EU law you have to treat every EU nation the same, so they cannot simply say you can only get a membership with a Dutch passport.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 5, 2011 21:54

Chris Fountain
Brue

I hear masturbation causes blindness; How many here wear glasses? drinking smiley

I THOUGHT IT WAS DEAFNESS.

Date: June 5, 2011 22:22

Lorenz
I wonder what the EU will say. By EU law you have to treat every EU nation the same, so they cannot simply say you can only get a membership with a Dutch passport.
From what I have read....
They will be limited to 1500 "memberships" per shop per year, then the shops have to decide who gets one, a local or tourist?.... it said that this is how they will avoid that EU law. I am not positve about any of it, it is only what I read.... check the facts on your own.
Here is one article about it which I quickly found today... [travelblog.dailymail.co.uk]

It does not really matter what they TRY TO DO, because there will always be a supply to meet a demand, and they are idiots to think they can stop it. It is a joke.... They should let people have a smoke and a drink... whatever they want (a smoke and a poke?)... but if they are going to worry about something..... I wonder why do they care so much about pot, but not alcohol?. It makes no sense. No one has EVER died from pot poisoning, but many many many people have died from alcohol poisoning.

People have found a way (to some how) to get high for 6000 years.
Getting high and having sex are probably the worlds oldest activities....
and Amsterdam had it figured out.... now they are blowing it. Why?

Amsterdamned
cool smiley
Good thing we have lots of brains...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 23:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: June 5, 2011 23:42

Max'sKansasCity
Amsterdamned

I wonder what Bob would say about your comment?

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity

That explain the US stupidity (rigged crap) but why the difference in Amsterdam to today?

Can You buy Benzodiazepines without prescription in the US?
They are almost the worst.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: June 6, 2011 00:15

NICOS
Chris Fountain
Brue

I THOUGHT IT WAS DEAFNESS.

I'm still not sure whether it cures glaucoma or causes glaucoma.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 21, 2011 04:59

Is it true the law has passed that only Dutch citizens will be allowed to purchase weed legaly in the Netherlands starting in 2012?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 21, 2011 05:56

Amsterdamned
Amsterdamned

I wonder what would Bob say about your comment?<Max'sKansasCity>

He probably would disagree. Some people are more sensitive than others, and music is great for stoned people, just like sex or food. And there is something like an "automatic pilot", and routine.
Ive been playing Toto's "Rosanna" with a coverband back in the 8-tees, a 180 times a year. We still played it very well after 10 pints.
That's why I edit my posts that often.winking smiley

There is no medical study that has determined pot causes brain damage to adults. There has been an extensive study conducted that shows that young teenagers use of pot increases the likelihood of mental pathologies, such as depression, but that is related to the effect of THC on developing brains, and is not a conclusive effect. A recent long term double blind study conducted by the US government showed there is no link between pot and cancer or brain damage. This study came out during the Bush years and he attempted to have it held and censored, however the independent gov. agency released it.
Pot has a lot of medicinal uses and when compared to alcohol is quite benign. Legalize it! NOW!

However, more importantly, playing anything by Toto is sure to cause massive brain damage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-21 05:57 by whitem8.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 21, 2011 06:50

Everything that whitem8 just said, especially the part about Toto.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home