Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jack Flash
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 05:50

Hey everyone. I just had a question for any Stones guitar experts...I heard that Keith did the studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash tuned in Open E. So I tuned to Open E, and started playing against the recording, only to realize that I was still off! I think I heard somewhere that Keith was tuned just slightly down from open E...does anyone know how I can correct my tuning? Thanks!

Re: Jack Flash
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 06:40

Keith tunes to open G and uses a capo on the 4th fret for this tune when played live these days, making it in the key of B.

I think Keith said his guitar was tuned to open E-flat when he recorded (or wrote?) the original. If he recorded it with that tuning, he probably had a capo somewhere up the neck, maybe 7th fret to get the B-flat, which I think is the key of the original recording.

Maybe he just recorded it in open G-flat with the capo on the 4th fret. Of course, you could get the same key (B-flat) by just putting a capo in the 6th fret with your open E tuning, but the string tension will be a little higher.

I think the difference between playing in open E and open G tunings is that you will be using a lower (thicker) set of strings in the open E tuning.

Good luck!

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 07:07 by Naturalust.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 2, 2015 07:45

stones2000
Hey everyone. I just had a question for any Stones guitar experts...I heard that Keith did the studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash tuned in Open E. So I tuned to Open E, and started playing against the recording, only to realize that I was still off! I think I heard somewhere that Keith was tuned just slightly down from open E...does anyone know how I can correct my tuning? Thanks!

IIRC, they slowed down the tape on the final recording, dropping the key to somewhere between E and F.

Date: May 2, 2015 08:36

Naturalust
Keith tunes to open G and uses a capo on the 4th fret for this tune when played live these days, making it in the key of B.

I think Keith said his guitar was tuned to open E-flat when he recorded (or wrote?) the original. If he recorded it with that tuning, he probably had a capo somewhere up the neck, maybe 7th fret to get the B-flat, which I think is the key of the original recording.

Maybe he just recorded it in open G-flat with the capo on the 4th fret. Of course, you could get the same key (B-flat) by just putting a capo in the 6th fret with your open E tuning, but the string tension will be a little higher.

I think the difference between playing in open E and open G tunings is that you will be using a lower (thicker) set of strings in the open E tuning.

Good luck!

peace

Oh! Thank you so much!

Date: May 2, 2015 08:37

carlorossi
stones2000

IIRC, they slowed down the tape on the final recording, dropping the key to somewhere between E and F.

Oh ok, makes sense. Thank you!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 2, 2015 11:01

If you record in E you cannot drop between E and F, maybe you meant E and Eb ?

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:22

Original version i'm almost sure it's open D with a capo at the second fret

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 17:24 by AntoineParis.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:30

AntoineParis
Original version i'm almost sure it's open D with a capo at the second fret

Thank you, I'll try it!

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:38

Open D like a lot of beggars banquet tunes in fact

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:48

I have been playing guitar on and off for several years (don't claim to be extraordinary by any stretch-playing at home in my room for enjoyment-occasional buds coming over to jam), but I learned to play the parts of Jack Flash from Alfred's Ultimate Easy Play Along which you can find on u TUBE. The instructor states that the studio version is played in Open E tuning:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home