Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jack Flash
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 05:50

Hey everyone. I just had a question for any Stones guitar experts...I heard that Keith did the studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash tuned in Open E. So I tuned to Open E, and started playing against the recording, only to realize that I was still off! I think I heard somewhere that Keith was tuned just slightly down from open E...does anyone know how I can correct my tuning? Thanks!

Re: Jack Flash
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 06:40

Keith tunes to open G and uses a capo on the 4th fret for this tune when played live these days, making it in the key of B.

I think Keith said his guitar was tuned to open E-flat when he recorded (or wrote?) the original. If he recorded it with that tuning, he probably had a capo somewhere up the neck, maybe 7th fret to get the B-flat, which I think is the key of the original recording.

Maybe he just recorded it in open G-flat with the capo on the 4th fret. Of course, you could get the same key (B-flat) by just putting a capo in the 6th fret with your open E tuning, but the string tension will be a little higher.

I think the difference between playing in open E and open G tunings is that you will be using a lower (thicker) set of strings in the open E tuning.

Good luck!

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 07:07 by Naturalust.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 2, 2015 07:45

stones2000
Hey everyone. I just had a question for any Stones guitar experts...I heard that Keith did the studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash tuned in Open E. So I tuned to Open E, and started playing against the recording, only to realize that I was still off! I think I heard somewhere that Keith was tuned just slightly down from open E...does anyone know how I can correct my tuning? Thanks!

IIRC, they slowed down the tape on the final recording, dropping the key to somewhere between E and F.

Date: May 2, 2015 08:36

Naturalust
Keith tunes to open G and uses a capo on the 4th fret for this tune when played live these days, making it in the key of B.

I think Keith said his guitar was tuned to open E-flat when he recorded (or wrote?) the original. If he recorded it with that tuning, he probably had a capo somewhere up the neck, maybe 7th fret to get the B-flat, which I think is the key of the original recording.

Maybe he just recorded it in open G-flat with the capo on the 4th fret. Of course, you could get the same key (B-flat) by just putting a capo in the 6th fret with your open E tuning, but the string tension will be a little higher.

I think the difference between playing in open E and open G tunings is that you will be using a lower (thicker) set of strings in the open E tuning.

Good luck!

peace

Oh! Thank you so much!

Date: May 2, 2015 08:37

carlorossi
stones2000

IIRC, they slowed down the tape on the final recording, dropping the key to somewhere between E and F.

Oh ok, makes sense. Thank you!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 2, 2015 11:01

If you record in E you cannot drop between E and F, maybe you meant E and Eb ?

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:22

Original version i'm almost sure it's open D with a capo at the second fret

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 17:24 by AntoineParis.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:30

AntoineParis
Original version i'm almost sure it's open D with a capo at the second fret

Thank you, I'll try it!

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:38

Open D like a lot of beggars banquet tunes in fact

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:48

I have been playing guitar on and off for several years (don't claim to be extraordinary by any stretch-playing at home in my room for enjoyment-occasional buds coming over to jam), but I learned to play the parts of Jack Flash from Alfred's Ultimate Easy Play Along which you can find on u TUBE. The instructor states that the studio version is played in Open E tuning:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home