Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Will any USA Band EVER be as Great as The Stones?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:22

Mathijs
In '91 Guns & Roses where bigger than the Stones.

Mathijs

but then there was that awful 'spaghetti incident' not too long afterward.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:25

No Band has or will equal or surpass the impact of the Stones. I think they are a Bach or Beethoven of our time.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:31

bob r
Nope. The Beatles and the Stones were the top --

We Yanks did have artists that could at times rival them - The Beach Boys, The Byrds, but they could not sustain it over the years.

We also had a great 60's band that cranked out killer hits called Paul Revere and the Raiders...

And we have Dylan.... and Springsteen......

But you guys over in the UK win the prize hands down...

Either we can consider individual acts or we can't. If individual acts are considered, then Dylan and Elvis together and probably above the Beatles and Stones together.. Not sure why Dylan is being downplayed on this thread.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:32

Of course the real future of rock and roll lies in Belgium (play it loud!):

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-31 00:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 28, 2011 16:38

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Mathijs

Mathijs

but then there was that awful 'spaghetti incident' not too long afterward.
as if a gaga fan's is worth sht on a rock and roll question, go away little girl.

hmmm...someone take a piss in your cheerios' this morning? I would have expected greater level of 'acceptance' from someone that takes the name of my favourite VU album.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:47

Mathijs

Mathijs

and nirvana too, probably!

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:52

guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

EDIT: actually, no, thinking about it, Nirvana's and R.E.M.'s landmark year was 1992, wasn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-28 17:04 by Thricenay.

Posted by: Juha ()
Date: May 28, 2011 17:40

The Doors are in the "big boys league"...

Date: May 28, 2011 17:57

Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

EDIT: actually, no, thinking about it, Nirvana's and R.E.M.'s landmark year was 1992, wasn't it?

REM may be my favourite american band...not as good of late, but they had 10-12 or so amazing years.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:02

treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

REM may be my favourite american band...not as good of late, but they had 10-12 or so amazing years.

I was a huge fan, too. First saw them in 1984. Lost enthusiasm in 2001. But those 17 years were to be treasured.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:02

grateful dead
van halen
aerosmith
the eagles
metallica
red hot chilli peppers

all of those bands were hugely popular worldwide and sell out venues worldwide. the eagles and aerosmith have outsold the rolling stones here in the states and neither of those 2 bands have released as many albums as the stones. metallica and van halen are both only about 10 million behind and have fewer albums than the eagles or aerosmith. finally i'd like to point out garth brooks has sold 128 million albums in america since 1988 and is 3rd all time in sales in america

Date: May 28, 2011 18:16

ab
The fact remains: Americans invented rock 'n' roll

...Nope; the Irish did that.
Together with the African folks - who weren't even considered proper American citizens in those days, as you might recall from your schooldays.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: May 28, 2011 18:18

Koen
Of course the real future of rock and roll lies in Belgium (play it loud!):

>grinning smiley< thumbs upthumbs up

Date: May 28, 2011 18:35

Thricenay
treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

I was a huge fan, too. First saw them in 1984. Lost enthusiasm in 2001. But those 17 years were to be treasured.

I saw them in '86, in a University Gymnasium...fantastic. Favourite album is still Life's Rich Pageant.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:42

treaclefingers
Thricenay
treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

I saw them in '86, in a University Gymnasium...fantastic. Favourite album is still Life's Rich Pageant.

I remember the day I bought it. All sorts of worries: the music papers were full of things like 'they've used John Cougar Mellencamp's producer!' Then the euphoria of hearing Begin The Begin and These Days, and knowing I was going to love this album.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:43

treaclefingers
Thricenay
treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

...What do you guys think of their new album, "Collapse into Now"!?

Date: May 28, 2011 18:47

MississippiBullfrog
treaclefingers
Thricenay
treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

I haven't heard anything since Reveal. I lost interest in them completely. I hope they're still good, but they're not for me any more.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 28, 2011 19:13

No

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 28, 2011 19:15

There is only One band that can top the Stones.

and rest asured NO BAND FROM THE STATES : @#$%& ..

IT is the band from THE NETHERLANDS : DE DIJK !!
listen to their latest recors with the GREAT Solomon BURKE.
Its a great Live band, from AMSTERDAM

byeee Jeroen

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 28, 2011 19:53

corriecas

byeee Jeroen
smileys with beer

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 28, 2011 19:55

corriecas

byeee Jeroen

Only one band from the States could ever go toe to toe with the Stones in a live "Battle of the Bands" and that is a band called The Sonics from Tacoma, Washington. They are virtually unknown, however, they have gained a following in Europe in recent years after re-uniting after 40 years. From what I have been told they were highly respected by the Beatles and the Stones in the early sixties if you can believe that. Steven Van Zandt is a huge fan of the Sonics and introduced and guested with them at the Paramount in Seattle on Halloween night in 2008, I was lucky enough to be there to witness their triumphant return to the Seattle-Tacoma area some 35 years after they last had performed a reunion concert at the Paramount. Recently they released a new CD called 8 which featured four brand new killer songs and some oldies from their live performances in recent years. The first track 'Cheap Shades' mentions Mick and the Rolling Stones. You all know how much I love the Stones, so trust me when I tell you guys, if you love the Stones you will probably love the Sonics. Check them out at thesonicsboom.com.

Date: May 28, 2011 19:59

stonescrow
corriecas

byeee Jeroen

Only one band from the States could ever go toe to toe with the Stones in a live "Battle of the Bands" and that is a band called The Sonics from Tacoma, Washington. They are virtually unknown, however, they have gained a following in Europe in recent years after re-uniting after 40 years. From what I have been told they were highly respected by the Beatles and the Stones in the early sixties if you can believe that. Steven Van Zandt is a huge fan of the Sonics and introduced and guested with them at the Paramount in Seattle on Halloween night in 2008, I was lucky enough to be there to witness their triumphant return to the Seattle-Tacoma area some 35 years after they last had performed a reunion concert at the Paramount. Recently they released a new CD called 8 which featured four brand new killer songs and some oldies from their live performances in recent years. The first track 'Cheap Shades' mentions Mick and the Rolling Stones. You all know how much I love the Stones, so trust me when I tell you guys, if you love the Stones you will probably love the Sonics. Check them out at thesonicsboom.com.

...Good call!! Love the Sonics...
Was lucky enough to catch them live a couple of years ago, at the Sjock Rock summer festival (Gierle, Belgium) in July... Great gig!

Date: May 28, 2011 20:22

Thricenay
MississippiBullfrog
treaclefingers
Thricenay
treaclefingers
Thricenay
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

And R.E.M., possibly.

I haven't heard anything since Reveal. I lost interest in them completely. I hope they're still good, but they're not for me any more.

I've heard Collapse into Now is a good album, but admit I haven't picked it up, or even had a listen so far. Liked the tune "Leaving New York" if that is the title...that is the last 'new' one I remember.

Date: May 28, 2011 20:28

MississippiBullfrog
stonescrow
corriecas

byeee Jeroen

...Good call!! Love the Sonics...
Was lucky enough to catch them live a couple of years ago, at the Sjock Rock summer festival (Gierle, Belgium) in July... Great gig!

I saw them several times live in the mid sixties and was a huge fan of theirs. They disbanded sometime in 1968 then did a reunion show in '72 then vanished for about 35 years. Their lead singer and keyboard player Jerry Roslie has overcome cancer and is a heart transplant recipient so it is an amazing comeback story. Glad you got to experience the Sonics.

Date: May 28, 2011 22:19

grand funk railroad was just as big as those guys from the late 60's-mid 70's

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: May 28, 2011 22:55

Well its all relative and a somewhat subjective. However, the Beatles and the Stones were at the forefront of a cultural revolution; Rock bands these days or for the last 15 years have really shrunk in importance in American pop culture. Face it, our beloved rock'n'roll is DEAD, sorry.moody smiley

There have been a few small artistic explosions, which have seen some great music arising from same, since the 1960's (i.e. late 70's, early 90's) but to suggest a U.S. band is as great as the Stones is just futile . . . with that said, however, there are some American bands who have a huge fan following such as:

the Grateful Dead >grinning smiley< (U.S. and Europe)
Dave Matthews confused smiley (hate to say it but a big following mostly U.S.)
Phish (U.S. and some Europe)
Pearl Jam smileys with beer(U.S., Europe, South America, Australia)
Metallica (U.S, Europe)
Doors, Aerosmith, and a few others have had some world appeal

Again its all relative, I remember back in College (1994) none of my friends even batted an eye lash that the Stones were on tour, no one was interested on campus, really, no one. Everyone was listening to the new music, our generaion's music. It was really a generational thing, we had our own bands, didn't really need old rock acts, with fireworks and crap; we were in the "trenches", in the sweaty halls, theaters, and clubs, rocking out! I went to 5 Voodoo Lounge shows with just a couple of friends, trying to get them into that "dinosaur music"winking smiley as most of my peers called it. According to radio, MTV and all other "college" media at the time, it was Pearl Jam back in '94 . . . but again its all relative . . .

But to answer the question: NO. No band will ever be as "great" as the Rolling Stones. The music scene apperatus is just not set up like the old days; they are no rock stars left . . . eye popping smiley

Date: May 28, 2011 23:45

NorthShoreBlues2
Well its all relative and a somewhat subjective. However, the Beatles and the Stones were at the forefront of a cultural revolution; Rock bands these days or for the last 15 years have really shrunk in importance in American pop culture. Face it, our beloved rock'n'roll is DEAD, sorry.moody smiley

There have been a few small artistic explosions, which have seen some great music arising from same, since the 1960's (i.e. late 70's, early 90's) but to suggest a U.S. band is as great as the Stones is just futile . . . with that said, however, there are some American bands who have a huge fan following such as:

the Grateful Dead >grinning smiley< (U.S. and Europe)
Dave Matthews confused smiley (hate to say it but a big following mostly U.S.)
Phish (U.S. and some Europe)
Pearl Jam smileys with beer(U.S., Europe, South America, Australia)
Metallica (U.S, Europe)
Doors, Aerosmith, and a few others have had some world appeal

Again its all relative, I remember back in College (1994) none of my friends even batted an eye lash that the Stones were on tour, no one was interested on campus, really, no one. Everyone was listening to the new music, our generaion's music. It was really a generational thing, we had our own bands, didn't really need old rock acts, with fireworks and crap; we were in the "trenches", in the sweaty halls, theaters, and clubs, rocking out! I went to 5 Voodoo Lounge shows with just a couple of friends, trying to get them into that "dinosaur music"winking smiley as most of my peers called it. According to radio, MTV and all other "college" media at the time, it was Pearl Jam back in '94 . . . but again its all relative . . .

But to answer the question: NO. No band will ever be as "great" as the Rolling Stones. The music scene apperatus is just not set up like the old days; they are no rock stars left . . . eye popping smiley

True.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 29, 2011 00:27

With Stones, Beatles, Led Zep from England, etc....I am not sure how US bands even with their neighbor from Canada: BTO, Rush, Neil Young, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams. Wahat has com out of the US other thean a bunch of screaming like Aerosmith or BonJovi?

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 29, 2011 00:48

There have been many great American bands - the Velvet Underground, CCR, Little Feat (with Lowell George only),Lynyrd Skynyrd, many more. It's just that Britain produced some truly great bands from 1963- 1976 (I consider The Clash the last truly great British band). Most great bands since 1976 are American, IMO

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home