Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Studio wizard Steve Thompson on working for Jagger and the Stones... (1985-86)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:25

[www.ultimate-guitar.com]

"It was a birthday party for Mick Jagger at the Palladium in New York and I met Keith and Woody in the bathroom"....

Now you know you need to read the rest! grinning smiley

Re: Studio wizard Steve Thompson on working for Jagger and the Stones... (1985-86)
Date: March 25, 2015 11:42

Nice read! Thanks for posting thumbs up

Re: Studio wizard Steve Thompson on working for Jagger and the Stones... (1985-86)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:48

Interesting .... Thanks man ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2015 18:44

Nice article. Thanks.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 25, 2015 19:06

Good stuff..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 25, 2015 19:14

Thanks for posting. thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2015 21:13

Here's the track with the air guitar story: Phantom Rocker & Slick, My Mistake:

Date: March 25, 2015 21:23

DoomandGloom
Good stuff..

You worked with him, didn't you, Doom?

Date: March 25, 2015 22:10

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
Good stuff..

You worked with him, didn't you, Doom?
Yes most of those records... Steve is one in a million in the music biz, incredibly hard working and sets a great mood for making music. Some of his stories are mine actually but that's ok I steal many of his tales as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 22:13 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 25, 2015 22:49

thumbs up

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 25, 2015 23:43

Interesting that during Mick'n'Keith's World War three, Keith still gets invited and goes to Mick's Birthday party - maybe there was some of the phoney war about it?

Date: March 26, 2015 00:13

thecitadel
Interesting that during Mick'n'Keith's World War three, Keith still gets invited and goes to Mick's Birthday party - maybe there was some of the phoney war about it?
Yes they were always friendly, doing demos and didn't ignore one another if they were at the same studios doing different projects. I've seen Foreigner guys hide in the dark from one another. I suspect they were waiting on Charlie in hindsight.

Date: March 26, 2015 10:26

Doom were you with Thompson during the Metallica/Justice... debacle?

Date: March 27, 2015 05:58

dcba
Doom were you with Thompson during the Metallica/Justice... debacle?
My studio did not do the mixes but I recall we did some listening after the fact with A&R types to discuss the bass. I dubbed myself a cassette as soon as I could which became a hoot at the after hours biker bar. Metallica was so big then, they had the ultimate power to ruin their own records. Kind of like The Beatles on "Get BacK". Once again a case of following a concept rather than their ears. Whenever I'd go to Yankee Stadium they'd play Metallica and I'd think of this crazy argument I'd witnessed. When it was released no one really noticed the lack of bass because Thompson's mix was that good and he tried in earnest to skirt around the band's request and make a great record. Later on I spent a few days with Lars recording snare drum samples at Hit Factory in the room where the drums for Born in USA was recorded. Not certain if he had any idea what he was doing or I had any idea what I was doing. Rock stars were like that and budgets were huge, an old engineer I knew recorded the Lovin' Spoonful and claimed no one knew what was going on in the band ever. They came in one day and found they had made "Summer in The City" the session before, no one was sure it wasn't elves. Up until around 1985 producers and engineers would file coke expenses under miscellaneous and the record company would see this as the same as a tape expense as long as things were getting done rapidly. Studios subsequently were open and billing 24 hours a day, really the only way a huge facility could make ends meet. Acts like The Grateful Dead or Aerosmith could keep the whole building rockin' but the clean up crew in the morning had their hands full with lunatics.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 19:37 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 27, 2015 16:36

Thx Doom!
I just love these "backstage" stories!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 27, 2015 19:31

Seems everybody and everything is great with him. One of those . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home