Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Texas Motor Speedway - November 1997
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: May 22, 2011 16:38

Was anybody at this gig in Ft Worth back in 1997? I didn't go because I thought the venue was all wrong. A monstrous NASCAR racetrack with big time traffic issues at the time. From what I heard it was not well attended. Any first hand accounts? I even think I heard Mick comment once it was a BAD choice (though not as bad as Altamont!).

Re: Texas Motor Speedway - November 1997
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 22, 2011 16:52

Yeah, I was there. Not one of my favorite shows, but I still enjoyed it.

I remember talking to some kids who were there to see Smashing Pumpkins, thinking that the Stones were going to be lame, but left impressed.
Star Star was the (predictable) vote winner for the audience choice. I wonder about the legitimacy of that vote thing.
First time for me seeing a b-stage.

Dry county north of Ft. Worth.
No alcohol sold at the venue, but you could buy a "club membership" and purchase beer to drink in a tent in the parking lot.
Weird friggin' liquor laws in the bible belt.

I've been to races at the track since then, and it seems the local laws have changed since the Stones visited.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: May 22, 2011 21:03

I was also there - smaller than expected crowd - but one of my fav shows (and I've seen every tour in the US since 72. Keith was sharp and hot, Ronnie was straight and played very well (he replicated the signature lead riff from Crazy Mama perfectly, which was a highlight), great version of Little Queenie. Sound was fantastic - they moved the stage in toward the stands due to few GA attendees, which put them nice and close, and helped the sound. Good reading of Saint, killer SMU (which isn't always good live), LSTNT was good,

mpst importantly. things rolled and grooved musically - with sharp guitar interplay. one of my fav late period shows.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 22, 2011 21:08

I was 20 years old and drove up from Austin with a bunch of friends. We had a blast. I thought the show was incredible, and I'll never forget watching the Stones behind me on the B-stage, facing that big cage-like screen where the stands started, playing Crazy Mama and (I think) Little Queenie.

Openers were Matchbox 20, Dave Matthews Band, and Smashing Pumpkins. The guys in front of us were there to see Smashing Pumpkins and left(!) when the Stones set started.

I bought the tickets pre-sale through Sprint, and they were originally gen. admission ($60, I believe), although there was row/seat info printed on the ticket (my ticket actually said Row 1, seat 1!!!). Some time before the show, however, the thing got paired down (probably due to less-than-anticipated demand), and we had to exchange tickets at the venue, first come-first serve, for assigned seating. We did, however, wind up with 14th row tickets, Keith's side, near the "bridge" to the B-stage.

You had to go to a special enclosed area to purchase/drink alcohol, so it was too much trouble anyway (um, plus I was underage, but for some reason you were not ID'ed at the entrance, only at the point of purchase, so the old hand-off was theoretically possible).

I was on the Undercover mailing list back then, and since I was the only one from that list going to that show, and I wanted to hear it, everybody voted for StarStar, and lo and behold, it won. I don't think that song had been played since '78 or something (I could be wrong--I haven't checked every setlist).

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 22, 2011 21:30

I was there too...the B-stage was cool we were right next to it...Crazy Mama (Keith slapped my had after the solo)...and Little Queenie were great...and Out of Control was off the hook! I found pieces of the Gold confetti in my 4Runner for months afterwards.

Lots of kids there to see Dave Mathews (Mathcbox 20 was just starting to hit it big and were kind of unknown) and the Pumpkins of course, some people left but not many from the field....the boot doesn't sound all that great, but the sound where we were was pretty good....cool stage and the show openest with Keith in th eleppard coat and Mick with his black leather and acid green scarf....cool as always.

Still have the event t-shirt from this show..We bought quite a bit of mercy at this show....couple of hats, sweatshirts, t-shirts and stuff....

Still regret not getting the Austin event t- shirt

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 21:32 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2011 22:14

Sipuncula
I was 20 years old and drove up from Austin with a bunch of friends. We had a blast. I thought the show was incredible, and I'll never forget watching the Stones behind me on the B-stage, facing that big cage-like screen where the stands started, playing Crazy Mama and (I think) Little Queenie.

Openers were Matchbox 20, Dave Matthews Band, and Smashing Pumpkins. The guys in front of us were there to see Smashing Pumpkins and left(!) when the Stones set started.

I bought the tickets pre-sale through Sprint, and they were originally gen. admission ($60, I believe), although there was row/seat info printed on the ticket (my ticket actually said Row 1, seat 1!!!). Some time before the show, however, the thing got paired down (probably due to less-than-anticipated demand), and we had to exchange tickets at the venue, first come-first serve, for assigned seating. We did, however, wind up with 14th row tickets, Keith's side, near the "bridge" to the B-stage.

You had to go to a special enclosed area to purchase/drink alcohol, so it was too much trouble anyway (um, plus I was underage, but for some reason you were not ID'ed at the entrance, only at the point of purchase, so the old hand-off was theoretically possible).

I was on the Undercover mailing list back then, and since I was the only one from that list going to that show, and I wanted to hear it, everybody voted for StarStar, and lo and behold, it won. I don't think that song had been played since '78 or something (I could be wrong--I haven't checked every setlist).

It had been played at the CNIB shows in '79 and on the first month of the '81 tour before being dropped for 16 years until they brought it back at Giants Stadium on 17/10/97. Fort Worth was it's 4th performance of the tour.

Reviews here - [www.iorr.org].

Official attendance was 43,496, probably less than half what they'd expected.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 22, 2011 23:22

Here's an audience recording of the show...[www.iorr.org] .....there is a Soundboard which is excellent but the files on Urban Steel's collected posts and Marko's are expired for now at least............

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 23, 2011 01:21

I like this show more than i can say
full of energy
love the crowd
please tell me more about this onw!

Date: May 23, 2011 01:25

jagger havin one of his top nights....were the hall family there?

Date: May 23, 2011 01:48

this gig cooks.....any pictures? Jagger and woody are on fire!

Date: May 23, 2011 02:12

for once grazy mam sounds dangerous...exelent!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 23, 2011 04:32

Gazza
It had been played at the CNIB shows in '79 and on the first month of the '81 tour before being dropped for 16 years until they brought it back at Giants Stadium on 17/10/97. Fort Worth was it's 4th performance of the tour.

Oh, maybe I got that one mixed up with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 23, 2011 04:50

little queenie is a smoking version vintage Keith! If you get your hands on the sbd boot you will listen to it over and over

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 23, 2011 05:12

punkfloyd
Was anybody at this gig in Ft Worth back in 1997? I didn't go because I thought the venue was all wrong. A monstrous NASCAR racetrack with big time traffic issues at the time. quote]

So you didn't attend a Stones concert because you thought the venue was wrong??? That is the worse excuse I've ever heard for missing a Stones show.

I could have appreciated "no money", "wife wouldn't let you go", "no tickets available", etc...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 23, 2011 06:27

punkfloyd
Was anybody at this gig in Ft Worth back in 1997? I didn't go because I thought the venue was all wrong. A monstrous NASCAR racetrack with big time traffic issues at the time. From what I heard it was not well attended. Any first hand accounts? I even think I heard Mick comment once it was a BAD choice (though not as bad as Altamont!).

I was at the (recorded for offical DVD) B2B St louis show and when Dave Matthews came out for his guest spot, Mick said something like (not an exact quote) "Here is a guest we have not seen since we played that concrete monstrosity race track, down in texas"...... something like that.

some of those facts may be off a bit, but Mick did comment on the venue, I think he did anyway.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 07:25

Max'sKansasCity
punkfloyd

I was at the (recorded for offical DVD) B2B St louis show and when Dave Matthews came out for his guest spot, Mick said something like (not an exact quote) "Here is a guest we have not seen since we played that concrete monstrosity race track, down in texas"...... something like that.

some of those facts may be off a bit, but Mick did comment on the venue, I think he did anyway.

He did

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: May 23, 2011 09:36

Ditto punkfloyd - bad venue, didn't care to go

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 23, 2011 15:14

The Sicilian
punkfloyd
Was anybody at this gig in Ft Worth back in 1997? I didn't go because I thought the venue was all wrong. A monstrous NASCAR racetrack with big time traffic issues at the time. quote]

So you didn't attend a Stones concert because you thought the venue was wrong??? That is the worse excuse I've ever heard for missing a Stones show.

I could have appreciated "no money", "wife wouldn't let you go", "no tickets available", etc...

Sounds like it was a pretty good excuse, going by the complaints about it. Cant imagine that (for many of the ticket buyers) watching a show in the middle of nowhere, behind fences, with the stage a long distance away and having to go to a car park to drink a beer due to some weird licensing law was a lot of fun.

Sometimes its about a lot more than just seeing the band. Personally, I cant imagine going to Slane again for a show if the Stones happened to play there - was bad enough last time as the buses dumped us four miles from the venue, which was a bloody nightmare for a friend of mine who has severe arthritis. Often its simply far less hassle to fly to a show in a city instead and get a hotel near the venue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-23 22:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 21:12

I was there too. One of my favorite because of the sound. We had crappy seat, way off to the side, but I loved the outdoor, stadium feel of it....my first outdoor Stones. When Keith opened the riffs for "Crazy Mama", my friend and I went nuts! That was one of the all-time Stones live highlights for us, so unexpected and it sounded fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home