Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Andy Fraser of Free
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:05

Can't believe this news. One of the absolute legends of rock, co-writer of All Right Now Andy Fraser has died.

This from All Access website.

London-born ANDY FRASER, a child prodigy who played with JOHN MAYALL’S BLUESBREAKERS before his 16th birthday, then joined FREE as a bass player, where he created the famous riff in “All Right Now,” passed away in his TEMECULA, CA, home of unknown causes at the age of 62.

“We were brothers,” writes FRASER about his time in FREE with PAUL KOSSOFF, PAUL RODGERS and SIMON KIRKE, producing and co-writing the anthemic “All Right Now” with RODGERS. “Like a gang, or a team of commandos, where we could be sure we were all watching each other’s backs. I still live by the values formulated at that time.”

The song was recognized by ASCAP in 1990 for accumulating one million airplays on U.S. radio by late 1999. BMI LONDON gave him an award in 2006 marking more than three million plays. It went to #1 in more than 20 territories.

FRASER went on to form SHARKS with guitarist CHRIS SPEDDING, leaving after just a single, critically acclaimed album. After moving to CALIFORNIA, he wrote hits for ROBERT PLAMER (“Every Kinda People”), JOE COCKER, CHAKA KHAN, ROD STEWART and PAUL YOUNG.

FRASER contracted a rare form of cancer, Kaposi’s sarcoma, in the ‘80s, and was diagnosed with AIDS shortly after coming out as a homosexual. Up until his passing, he was considered the “poster child” for living with AIDS and not have it be a death sentence.

In mid-2013, FRASER played a supporting role as bassist in the band of protege TOBI for a short series of U.K. dates. Accompanying EARNSHAW and FRASER, was CHRIS SPEDDING. FRASER has produced and mentored EARNSHAW on a number of album releases.

Just last month, FRASER appeared at a GRAMMY party for ROCK AGAINST HUMAN TRAFFICKING, where he took pictures with PIERCE BROSNAN. He was planning on going out on tour with his old pal FRANKIE MILLER after the pair once tried to form a band together back in the ‘80s.

"I’ve never really thought of myself as a bass player,” he recently wrote. “If it was appropriate for me not to play bass, say for example most of ‘All Right Now’ doesn’t have any bass in it. When people talk to me as a bass player, I find it strange because, well, actually it was one of the things I do, and luckily enough it’s one of the things I could do sort of in my sleep, and people have spoken of me as a bass player ever since."

FRASER is survived by daughters HANNAH and JASMINE. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Read more: [www.allaccess.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 11:49 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: RIP Andy Fraser of Free
Date: March 17, 2015 21:08

God bless you Andy. One of the masterpieces of rock.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:54

Silver Dagger
God bless you Andy. One of the masterpieces of rock.

Absolutely. Jesus, and I saw Paul Rogers late last year at the RAH, I guess they're all around the same sort of age. 62. F**k, what a tragic loss.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:58

Such a shame departing this life at 62.

Free and 'Alright Now' in particular, were a great band and a song that lives on forever.

R.I.P. Andy. sad smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 17, 2015 22:16

Sad news....The 1st time I heard "All Right Now" I thought it was the Stones...RIP Andy

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 17, 2015 22:21

Shocking news....

I was only listening to him talking to Johnny Walker on Sounds of the 70's, a few weeks ago!

God bless you Andy. RIP

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: March 17, 2015 22:41

Noooooo, that's terrible news. I have the Sharks album and played it only the other day. Rest In Peace Andy.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 17, 2015 22:43

RIP Andy. Side note, I always thought Bon Scott looked a bit like Paul Rodgers.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 17, 2015 23:52

I didn't know he wrote the brilliant 'Every Kind of People' for Robert Palmer and played bass on his, also brilliant, 'Clues' album.

R.I.P. Andy.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 18, 2015 00:43

Another one lost way too young--and also part of the soundtrack of my life (and the lives of many of us, I'm sure). RIP, Andy. sad smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 18, 2015 01:55

Thanks for the music, never forgotten. R.I.P. Andy. For Free it was not always about filling every second with a noise the spaces in the music were just as important.Timeless.Last week I just bought 4 Free remastered CD's. I will cherish these.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 18, 2015 09:33

Andy Fraser didn't have AIDS, but was HIV Positve. He seemed in rude health during interviews from recent years, but I suspect his immune system packed-in eventually.

Rest in peace, Andy Fraser.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 18, 2015 09:50

RIP Andy Fraser and thanks for some great music

Free - "Moonshine" - live - best guitar solo ever (Paul Kossoff)

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: March 18, 2015 10:00

As this is a Stones site,
here are Mick Taylor and Fraser playing HTW.

[www.youtube.com]

RIP Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 10:30 by smokeydusky.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 11:32

Dreadful DREADFUL news. All Right Now remains just about my favourite ever song. THAT bassline-awesome. Free were just a wonderful band, blusy, melodic, spacious and ferocious. Love them. THE band of the early 70s......yeah, I know about another one we all seem to like, but Free were just something else.

Saw them live in Perth at Beatty Park Aquatic Centre - with Deep Purple (who everyone went to see), Manfred MAnn and an Aussie band called Chain. Great show. By the end of the night EVERYONE was "HOW GREAT WERE FREE - did anyone else play on the bill?" sort of thing.....they were, they ARE a seminal rock band.

RIP Andy - Be My Friend

Date: March 18, 2015 11:55

The Who covered it a few times in 1970. I tried to find a version but only found this later version from 79.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:08

Sad news!
Never forgot seeing that new unknown band 1970 on a big fesival in Dusseldorf.
I liked them and S.Kirke gave me young boy his sticks afterwards.
A few weeks later they had a Nr.1 hit wordwide and were big news.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home