Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Interview with Keith(about Mick, 2012 tour, Some Girls, U2 and more)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2011 01:53

I don't think they would use 'Retirement Tour' as a selling point. That's never been there style. And I don't think they'd want to box themselves in. Using the 50th Anniversary in some way might work.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 21, 2011 02:26

24FPS
I don't think they would use 'Retirement Tour' as a selling point. That's never been there style. And I don't think they'd want to box themselves in. Using the 50th Anniversary in some way might work.

I would like to see them call it the Fabulous 50 Farewell Tour. They can always call the one after the Encore tour.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: May 21, 2011 02:55

We can, if Mick and Charlie (Watts) feel like I do, that we can still turn people on. We don't have to prove nothing anymore. I just love playing, and I miss the crowd."

Seems it's up to Charlie, if he wants to go out and tour based of Keith's comment.

He's right, they don't have to prove nothing anymore.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 02:58 by Sam Spade.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:46

Sam Spade
We can, if Mick and Charlie (Watts) feel like I do, that we can still turn people on. We don't have to prove nothing anymore. I just love playing, and I miss the crowd."

Seems it's up to Charlie, if he wants to go out and tour based of Keith's comment.

I cant see how that comment puts the onus on Charlie any more than it does on Mick....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2011 08:55

mr edward
This line made my day:

'He's more workaholic than alcoholic'.

That is funny...complete bullshit as well

Date: May 21, 2011 08:57

24FPS

Are you kidding me...box themselves in???

They haven't done but 3 albums in the last 22 years...box themselves into what?

It is the 50th anniversary, the writings on the wall. They know how to sell themselves, and THIS is now THE selling point.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 21, 2011 11:47

treaclefingers
mr edward
This line made my day:

'He's more workaholic than alcoholic'.

That is funny...complete bullshit as well

Exactly!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 21, 2011 13:59

Mick Jagger forms new band Super Heavy Rolling Stones frontman heads up new project with Joss Stone, Dave Stewart and Damian Marley
[www.nme.com]

Speaking to NME.COM, The Rolling Stones frontman revealed he has been rehearsing in Los Angeles with a star-studded line-up, which includes Eurythmics' Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and Damian Marley.

Discussing the formation of the new band, Jagger said: "The four of us got together and thought we'd go into a studio and throw some things around, see what would happen, if we'd have fun.

"We didn't know what kind of music we'd make. We knew it would be a laugh, because we all got on. But you can have a laugh and nothing comes out, y'know."

Super Heavy also features AR Rahman, the award-winning composer behind films such as Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. "Dave Stewart and I said to each other, 'Let's phone AR Rahman, he's in town, that'll be different', then we had another continent involved."

Jagger and Stewart have worked together on numerous occasions over the years, as have Jagger and Joss Stone.

Their most notable work together was for the Alfie soundtrack, which included a Jagger/Stewart collaboration 'Old Habits Die Hard' and a Jagger/Joss Stone track 'Lonely Without You (This Christmas)'.

"We've got some more reggae songs, some rock, some ballads, some soul music" Jagger continued.

"We've got one song in Urdu, I managed to do one line in Urdu, only one! It's not world music per se, a Womad festival kind of thing. It's a much more accessible style, a lot of dancey things."

Speaking about the songwriting process, he said "We'd all leap in with our ideas, getting excited about one another. We're four vocalists, we've never worked like that before. It's great because the whole burden's not on you, and that made it fun. There are a lot of different musical styles, maybe even some we've invented."

Referring to his day job, Jagger revealed: "If you're a Rolling Stones fan there's definitely stuff you can relate to. Other stuff that you can't relate to so much, maybe if you listen you'll enjoy it. I don't think it's so far off the beaten track that you can't understand it."

The singer also hinted that fans of The Rolling Stones might have to wait a little longer for another rumoured tour to materialise, as he is considering putting Super Heavy out on the road.

"If people really like it, we will. If they don't like it we won't! We haven't planned to do a tour or anything, but if people really like it maybe we will. We'd love to get together and play some of it live," he concluded.

Re: Interviews with Keith(about Mick, 2012 tour) and Mick(about Super Heavy)
Date: May 21, 2011 14:56

Mick Jagger Forms Supergroup with Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and Damian Marley
'It's different from anything else I've ever been involved in'
[www.rollingstone.com]
By ANDY GREENE
MAY 20, 2011 4:35 PM ET
For the first time since the Rolling Stones formed nearly 50 years ago, Mick Jagger is part of a new band: Super Heavy – featuring Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and Indian film composer A.R. Rahman. The band has quietly been recording together over the past 18 months, with their debut LP planned for sometime around September. "It's different from anything else I've ever been involved in," Jagger tells Rolling Stone. "The music is very wide-ranging – from reggae to ballads to Indian songs in Urdu."
The group got its start two years ago when Dave Stewart called Jagger from his home in Jamaica. "I live in Lime Hall right above St. Ann's Bay," says Stewart. "It's kind of the jungle, and sometimes I'd hear three sound systems all playing different things. I always love that, along with Indian orchestras. I said to Mick, ‘How could we make a fusion?' We were talking about an experiment, and then we started talking about voices. It was all born from that conversation."

Jagger loved the idea, and after lots of brainstorming and phone calls around the world, they settled on Stone, A.R. Rahman and Marley - whose rhythm section helped flesh out the band. "We wanted a convergence of different musical styles," says Jagger. "We were always overlapping styles, but they were nevertheless separate."

About 18 months ago, the band gathered in a Los Angeles studio. None of them had prepared any music. "We didn't know what the hell we were doing," says Stewart. "We were just jamming and making a noise. It was like when a band first starts up in your garage. Sometimes Damien would kick it off and then Joss would sing something on top of it. We might have a 22 minute jam, and it would become a six minute song.

The loose method was inspiring for Jagger. "One of the beauties is that, just speaking as a vocalist, I did other things," Jagger says. "I played guitar and harmonica, but there's four vocalist on the album. Not everything was reliant on me.” The band’s name came from some improvised vocals by Marley. "He was just singing 'Heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy, super heavy,'" says Stewart. "We thought that sounded good and it sort of stuck with us."

Jagger is confident that Stones fans will embrace the group. "It is a different kind of record that what people would expect," he says. "It's not all weird and strange though. I think Stones fans will think it's a bit odd, but they'll find most of it accessible. They've heard me play harmonica before and a lot of it is pretty high energy."

As of now, there are no plans to bring Super Heavy on the road. "We're experimenting at the moment and just taking it day by day," says Stewart. "I think if we're rehearsing and it sounds great and people love the idea then nobody would rule out the possibility of it."

Might Jagger's other group be hitting the road at some point in the future? In an interview with USA Today, Keith Richards said he was optimistic. "Something's blowing in the wind," he said. "The idea's there. We kind of know we should do it, but nobody's put their finger on the moment yet. This is what we want to ask each other: Do we want to go out in a blaze of glory? We can, if Mick and Charlie feel like I do, that we can still turn people on. We don't have to prove nothing anymore. I just love playing, and I miss the crowd."

When asked if the Stones are going to tour next year, Jagger just chuckles. "I don't have any announcement to make at the moment," he says. "I'm just, uh, ya know...just doing this right now."

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 21, 2011 15:03

Interesting, those last two bits. I think Mick is in marketing mode. Don't talk too much about the Stones, unless you relate it to the project. Just promote the project. Keith is more up front I think. It's all good. I think when this super heavy thing is done we'll start to see more rumblings of the next big thing.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 21, 2011 15:24

Tate
Interesting, those last two bits. I think Mick is in marketing mode. Don't talk too much about the Stones, unless you relate it to the project. Just promote the project. Keith is more up front I think. It's all good. I think when this super heavy thing is done we'll start to see more rumblings of the next big thing.
Yeah, I agree, even if the Winos & Mick's Superheavy are fairly successful and even tour, both tours will still only be a warm up. Keith seems to be chomping at the bit and wearing his heart on his sleeve a bit more than Mick but I sense Mick's already decided it's going to happen after Super heavy because he knows that even if it is successful it'll be a relatively short lived thing, he's just not telling Keith that.(treat him (her) mean, keep 'er keen). as a girlfriend of mine said "Mick's the man in the Mick/Keith thing despite the nickname Brenda".........Keith may be the tiger waiting to be uncaged but remember Rock'n'roll circus...Mick's the Ringmaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 15:33 by EddieByword.

Date: May 21, 2011 16:28

Super Heavy: Dave Stewart talks secret Mick Jagger – Joss Stone collaboration
May 20, 2011
[www.beatweek.com]
Dave Stewart is gearing up for the release of his new blues-leaning solo album The Blackbird Diaries next month, but in the mean time news has leaked out about a previously secret supergroup he’s formed called “Super Heavy” with the likes of Mick Jagger and Joss Stone. Speaking with Beatweek today about his solo record just hours after the Super Heavy news happened to have leaked out, Dave peeled back the curtains on the Super Heavy collaboration which also features Damian Marley and AR Rahman.

“It’s unfortunate,” Stewart told Beatweek about the fact that the news of the secret project managed to leak. “We’ve kept this quiet for two years. We have eighteen songs recorded and mixed. We have all the staff and we’re working on cradling this.”

He went on to explain the nature of the music itself. “It’s funny because it’s a world mixture of musicians, England, Jamaica, rock, blues, whatever, but it doesn’t sound anything like world music. When somebody says ‘world music’ I always imagine people knitting yogurt sweaters, if you know what I mean. I love loads of ethnic music, but this sounds kind of tough and sort of edgy and bluesy, with Indian and Jamaican beats. I haven’t heard anything like it so it’s hard to explain it, but I think people from all different walks of life will like it.”

Dave also revealed that the songwriting process included all five participants and that the songs were born out of extended jams which lasted as long as forty minutes apiece, and includes vocal contributions across the board: “It was like a huge long jam session that went on for months that then slowly turned into structure.”

He also shared that he’s expecting the Super Heavy album to come out in “September, most likely.” And on the subject of whether his former Eurythmics collaborator Annie Lennox might be joining the fray at any point, he says that it’s not likely because she’s focused on her AIDS Foundation work and she’s on a “different parallel track, if you know what I mean.”

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: May 21, 2011 20:24

Gazza
Sam Spade

I cant see how that comment puts the onus on Charlie any more than it does on Mick....

Wasn't it Charlie who had to be "talked" into touring for ABB?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:53

I suspect the 2012 tour will happen. It just makes too much financial sense - a blaze of glory tour, I guess. Huge stadiums, "Golden Circle" seats, "VIP" packages, massive video screens, inflatable dolls, B-Stage, and state of the art pyrotechnics. And every show will end with Mick doing that "Sa-tis-fac-shee-on" call-and-response with the three back-up singers while Keith entertains the crowd at the end of the right ramp, Ronnie "plays" fills at the end of the left ramp, the horn section blares away and fireworks go off in the background.

Personally, I wish that the four of them (with Bill or Daryl on bass and Chuck on piano) would go low-key, like "Stripped", play arenas instead of stadiums, doing acoustic ballads and blues - Spider & the Fly, Love in Vain, Prodigal Son, Little Red Rooster. They could sit on chairs in a tight semi-circle on stage. It would be timeless music and a great experience. Of course, I also want to win the World Series of Poker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 00:54 by drbryant.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:57

Sam Spade
Gazza
Sam Spade

Wasn't it Charlie who had to be "talked" into touring for ABB?

Not really, no. Or if he did, no more than he did any other time.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 22, 2011 02:36

You are all pretty critical. I don't care for terms like "supergroup", but that project really sounds like it has a lot of potential. I'm really looking forward to it, at least Mick stays creative and this time it might very well be different from his usual pseudo-contemporary pop.

Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: May 22, 2011 02:39

I am sooooooo glad that Mick is doing Super Heavy instead of the stones.
This will be sooooooo much better and more appropriate for the Olympics.
Super Heavy is obviously an insured world-as-a-whole number one, and also
guaranteed the largest selling album in India's history. The only places where
its success is not assured is the USA and Australia, with their neanderthal
mentalities, but hopefully even those two sleeping giants will wake up soon.
Its not that I don't hope for a new Stones album someday, I do. That is,
if Keith ever gets off his ass and writes some great new material. But otherwise,
Mick, stick with working musicians and have a blast! I know I will, listening
over and over to Super Heavy!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 22, 2011 03:12

I have to admit "guaranteed the largest selling album in India's history" is damn funny. Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 03:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: May 23, 2011 07:11

superheavy sounds quite interesting.

I hope it lives up to the hype...I think I could quite enjoy the music, the way its described anyway.

Date: May 23, 2011 07:12

drbryant
I suspect the 2012 tour will happen. It just makes too much financial sense - a blaze of glory tour, I guess. Huge stadiums, "Golden Circle" seats, "VIP" packages, massive video screens, inflatable dolls, B-Stage, and state of the art pyrotechnics. And every show will end with Mick doing that "Sa-tis-fac-shee-on" call-and-response with the three back-up singers while Keith entertains the crowd at the end of the right ramp, Ronnie "plays" fills at the end of the left ramp, the horn section blares away and fireworks go off in the background.

Personally, I wish that the four of them (with Bill or Daryl on bass and Chuck on piano) would go low-key, like "Stripped", play arenas instead of stadiums, doing acoustic ballads and blues - Spider & the Fly, Love in Vain, Prodigal Son, Little Red Rooster. They could sit on chairs in a tight semi-circle on stage. It would be timeless music and a great experience. Of course, I also want to win the World Series of Poker.

Absolutely love what you have suggested here.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2011 09:25

Just another Keith Richards 'act' that makes me wonder how on earth I did once thought that this guy is cool. But I was so young then. Keith seemingly works 'hard' to promote a paperback version of his book and Walt Disney movie. You can keep the money, pal. Almost make me sick how She gossips about HER so-so marriage to Mick Jagger and bullshits about Rolling Stones "plans". His comments about U2 and Bono tells also something of the smallness of his personhood. That's the infamous "honesty" some people seem to be so fond of here at IORR.

Anyway, his comments about shooting the film are quite revealing that he is an alcoholic and addicted person to the bone, and seemingly he needs a drink in order to perform (a typical alcoholic talk). I wonder has he ever made a public appearance sober in his life (maybe the choir boy duties back in the 50's?). I wonder can he even meet Jagger any longer sober but needs some stuff to act strong.

- Doxa

Date: May 23, 2011 09:54

What especially disgusts me in recent (?) Keith Richards behavior in public is his double standards. He is giving an impression that he - superman - is ready to rock anytime, and is is just up to others (read: Mick) if there is going to be a Rolling Stones actiovity (a new record, tour). But at the same time he is backthrobbing in public harder than anyone ever (within the band) Jagger. He gives the impression that Jagger has a skin like rhino's and he can stand anything Keith bitches in public. There is nothing 'sorryiness'' in that interview: he just goes on in his bashing and his claims of him loving him so much is corny and tasteless. He gives the impression that Jagger has no right to feel hurt because he just got what he deserved because the man gave once (25-30 yaers?) ago him so hard time, and Keith can no tell "lies". Keith seems to think that now after riduculing Jagger in public they are "even". The disturbing fact is the "bitching" goes only one way in public. For a Rolling Stones fan really a nasty business to wittness. (I wonder what will happen if Jagger just for once would use the same language as "Keef" uses. But of course, it is not likely; the guy has more class.)

I wonder if Keith just bluffs here. He might not be capable to perform any longer but does not admit that in public. He just wants to blame the others - Mick - for calling it quits to keep up his "nothing affects me" appearance. I'm highly skeptical of the whole 50's anniversary thing. Of course, something will happen, but not in terms of new record or world tour. But I guess for Jagger for a big scale thing to happen needs a lot of conditions to fill, only one of them being Keith's condition. But at least Keith does not make it any easier for Mick to warm up to the project.

Is Keith playing in two cards here?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-23 09:55 by Doxa.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:13

Doxa
What especially disgusts me in recent (?) Keith Richards behavior in public is his double standards. He is giving an impression that he - superman - is ready to rock anytime, and is is just up to others (read: Mick) if there is going to be a Rolling Stones actiovity (a new record, tour). But at the same time he is backthrobbing in public harder than anyone ever (within the band) Jagger. He gives the impression that Jagger has a skin like rhino's and he can stand anything Keith bitches in public. There is nothing 'sorryiness'' in that interview: he just goes on in his bashing and his claims of him loving him so much is corny and tasteless. He gives the impression that Jagger has no right to feel hurt because he just got what he deserved because the man gave once (25-30 yaers?) ago him so hard time, and Keith can no tell "lies". Keith seems to think that now after riduculing Jagger in public they are "even". The disturbing fact is the "bitching" goes only one way in public. For a Rolling Stones fan really a nasty business to wittness. (I wonder what will happen if Jagger just for once would use the same language as "Keef" uses. But of course, it is not likely; the guy has more class.)

I wonder if Keith just bluffs here. He might not be capable to perform any longer but does not admit that in public. He just wants to blame the others - Mick - for calling it quits to keep up his "nothing affects me" appearance. I'm highly skeptical of the whole 50's anniversary thing. Of course, something will happen, but not in terms of new record or world tour. But I guess for Jagger for a big scale thing to happen needs a lot of conditions to fill, only one of them being Keith's condition. But at least Keith does not make it any easier for Mick to warm up to the project.

Is Keith playing in two cards here?

- Doxa

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting. As confident as I am that things will work out there is "a point of no return" and if they don't get it together pretty soon then it truly could be over.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:41

stonescrow
The next 12 months is going to be very interesting. As confident as I am that things will work out there is "a point of no return" and if they don't get it together pretty soon then it truly could be over.

I think you are right here. Even though some people seem to think that The Stones have such a huge-scale beforehand stategies and plans and things like that - even Keith's Mick bitching in public or Jagger's purported solo fiascos going according to the grand plan the biggest believers think - I think the reality is more contingent. There had been many Stones projects in the past that had been cancelled - sometimes in the last minute. They are so many contingencies to taken care of before the action really is realized. Even though now the history in hindsight looks very 'rational' and like every new tour was a certain deal, I suppose some of them - tours, gigs, records - might be even some kind of wonders to have been accomplished.

My impression is that The Stones work very pragmatically 'one by one'-tactics. Every new situation is new challenge, and up to different options. There probably are some preliminary plans for the 50th aniversary, but there are options, and nobody - including Jagger - is certain yet which one to pick up. Even if they decide to tour, they know that nothing is certain until the tour is officially announced (after that it is up to the Big Guy - the one even bigger than Jagger).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-23 10:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 23, 2011 13:08

Interesting this near-collapse point.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 23, 2011 13:41

Mick
Jagger said: "The four of us got together and thought we'd go into a studio and throw some things around, see what would happen, if we'd have fun.

Now, that is what it is all about, isn't it. The main motive for any artist should be
to have some fun. Why don't we sing this song together, see what happens?

The wishful thinking about a prossible Stones tour might lead to blindness for the good
things that could come from Mick, who is still enjoying to stray away from the obvious
directions. I know this experimental side of Mick sometimes brought music that's not
really resonating with us, Rolling Stones fans. And certainly it did not appear to resonate
with Keith. But hey, that's why Mick is not bothering Keith (and Charlie, and Ronnie)
with it. Fine. I will check it out anyway. If I like it, that's great. If I don't, well
who cares?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 25, 2011 16:57

Doxa

(after that it is up to the Big Guy - the one even bigger than Jagger).

- Doxa

ummm...Michael Cohl?

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: May 25, 2011 17:37

Hi Doxa, i was thinking of all what you said in this thread and i can tell you you are really hard with Keith, but....
Its not nice or easy to come to terms with all of what you said but i must admit that you are quite right in most of it, at least from my point of view.
Its SAD...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 25, 2011 18:35

My issue with Keith lately has been he's been talking a lot of crap and has done nothing to back it up. He puts on like he's invincible and this master of cool, throwing his weight around and bashing his own "brother/wife" Mick and he expects everyone to love him and say "Oh, that's Keith!" Out of everyone, it seems Keith loves this band as strongly as he did 40 years ago...yet he's doing a good job of burning bridges with the one guy he needs to get the band active again...Jagger. Ronnie and Charlie have been out there playing gigs, staying active...Mick has been doing some substantial studio work...Keith shooting Disney movies. The same guy who we NEVER see without a cigarette or blowing smoke into the camera in every damn picture he takes.

Date: May 25, 2011 18:50

varilla
Hi Doxa, i was thinking of all what you said in this thread and i can tell you you are really hard with Keith, but....
Its not nice or easy to come to terms with all of what you said but i must admit that you are quite right in most of it, at least from my point of view.
Its SAD...

+1

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home