Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Get Yourself Together - August, 1966
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 19, 2011 23:07

vancouver
this should an single then

I honestly believe that with a bit more work this had the potential to be a single (probably more-commercial sounding than 'Have You seen Your Mother, Baby' which was a relative flop).

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 19, 2011 23:26

A long time ago I've heard that a "final" version of Get Yourself Together aka I Can See It exists under the title English Summer (obviously with new lyrics). As I have never heard this fabled "English Summer" I can't confirm this, however.

Anyone here who has some information if English Summer is indeed the finished version of Get Yourself Together aka I Can See It ?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 19, 2011 23:38

After a little more snooping around: "English Summer" was recorded in August 1966 at RCA during the "Between the Buttons" sessions. Other titles included "Panama Powder Room", "Trouble in Mind" (a cover), "Godzi", "Get Yourself Together", and "If You Let Me". It would be unusual to hold a song for over six months before releasing it as a single, especially during this particular time period when music was changing so fast and bands were constantly "one-upping" each other.

The Stones got into all their legal trouble starting with Mick and Keith's bust in February of 1967. "BTB" and the "Let's Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday" 45 had already been released in the U.K. in January. Their court appearances began with a hearing in May. Brian was also busted (more than once). The band convened at Olympic to start "Telstar II, "Manhole Cover", and "She's a Rainbow" with Nicky Hopkins. In June, Brian joined The Beatles in the studio for "You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)", and Mick and Keith appeared on the Our World program for "All You Need is Love". Recording for "We Love You" and "Dandelion" began in early June with the trial pending.

Mick and Keith began their trial in late June. Two quick convictions guaranteed Mick three months in jail, and Keith six. Unlike Martha Stewart, they began their sentences immediately. In the interim, "Flowers" was released in the States in July 1967. Mick and Keith were eventually freed on appeal in early July. Recording resumed on "We Love You" and "Dandelion", and it was this single that The Stones released in the U.K. for the Summer of Love (though not until August; September in the States)

I think The Stones had the song "English Summer" in the can, but the circumstances dictated a change of direction, particulary with the public expecting some sort of "statement". While The Beatles promoted "Sgt. Peppers" and "All You Need is Love" during the Summer of Love, The Stones were fighting for their very existence. I would love to hear "English Summer" (if it indeed exists!).

[www.stevehoffman.tv]

Apparently, The Stones were freaking out about the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper and made a hard pivot to go Flower Power, Satanic Majesty's direction. Their previously recorded stuff was forgotten as being "old hat" and passe.

Over-produced stuff like Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow gave way to We Love You ..

Date: May 19, 2011 23:50

mitchflorida
After a little more snooping around: "English Summer" was recorded in August 1966 at RCA during the "Between the Buttons" sessions. Other titles included "Panama Powder Room", "Trouble in Mind" (a cover), "Godzi", "Get Yourself Together", and "If You Let Me". It would be unusual to hold a song for over six months before releasing it as a single, especially during this particular time period when music was changing so fast and bands were constantly "one-upping" each other.

I think you'll find that most / all of this stuff was started at RCA in August 1966 but wasn't finished until the Nov-Dec Olympic Studios sessions. My guess is that it was mainly only basic backing tracks done at RCA (incidentally a backing track without vocals circulates for 'Get Yourself Together', just as it does for several other BTB-era songs).

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 20, 2011 03:03

This is one of my favorite Stones tracks. I can't seem to figure out how to play the main riff

anyone?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 20, 2011 03:19

I think it's more like Aftermath in that they completed or nearly completed tracks in 2 different blocks. Sessions at RCA in August 1966, then at Olympic in November/December 1966.

Obviously there was probably some further overdubbing on to earlier RCA tracks at Olympic, but most tracks on Between The Buttons seem to fall in to 2 fairly distinctive sound/ambience categories which I think is down to this split in the sessions.

IMO all of the available versions of Get Yourself Together aka I Can See It date from the Olympic Sound Studio sessions in November/December 1966.

Date: May 20, 2011 03:24

Of course, none of what I just posted matters. grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: May 20, 2011 04:27

great track thumbs up

Vocals: Mick Jagger
Guitars: Keith Richards, Brian Jones(?)
Piano: Stu(?), Jack Nizstche(?)
Organ: Brian Jones(?) Jack Nitzsche(?)
Drums: Charlie Watts

Date: May 20, 2011 05:30

Because of what we hear in the rough earlier take I reckon it's Brian playing piano. The organ(Brian again?) and 2nd guitar(Keith) on the more complete take are overdubs.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:16

The real mystery is why it didn't show up on METAMORPHOSIS.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:43

Marianne Faithfull recorded a version of "English Summer" that was never released. A friend once told me he asked her about it after a show in the mid-eighties and she said it was an early version of "Dandelion." I don't know for certain that this conversation actually took place. It does sound plausible but it also might have been guesswork on the part of the fan who subsequently tried to attribute it as a factual statement. I've suggested that it might be the same song on IORR and at least one other Stones site before but no one has ever indicated that they have ever heard this.

Date: May 20, 2011 07:10

Glam Descendant

Indeed!

Date: May 20, 2011 11:18

BJPortugal
great track thumbs up

Vocals: Mick Jagger
Guitars: Keith Richards, Brian Jones(?)
Piano: Stu(?), Jack Nizstche(?)
Organ: Brian Jones(?) Jack Nitzsche(?)
Drums: Charlie Watts

Where was Bill? sad smiley

Date: May 20, 2011 11:19

His Majesty
Glam Descendant

Indeed!

Or even on Bill Wyman's originally suggested Black Box?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:19

English Summer is indeed an early version of Dandelion -
at least according to Felix Aeppli, see the November 1966 studio recordings (0.128):
[aeppli.ch]

Date: May 20, 2011 18:00

rootsman
at least according to Felix Aeppli, see the November 1966 studio recordings (0.128):
[aeppli.ch]

These places are nice for referencing, but there's a fair amount of mistakes, guess work and pure speculation involved. Not that much more reliable than speculation posted here etc. Things said here sometimes finds it's way in to these reference sites. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 18:01 by His Majesty.

Date: May 20, 2011 18:05

For some people, finding the tapes for English Summer is the Holy Grail of stones-ology. If it can only be located and made public, all of the missing pieces will be understood, and there will be peace in the valley.

From what I have learned here, Get Yourself Together was started in August 1966 in Hollywood, finished in November of 1966, with pretty much a finished copy, and then forgotten in the midst of the various drug raids and Sgt. Pepper coming out and changing the music scene. Honestly, this is some of the best guitar work from Keith that I have heard.

Date: May 20, 2011 18:19

The available versions all sound like they came from same session. Began and completed at same studio, probably Olympic Sound Studios. smoking smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 20, 2011 18:56

His Majesty
rootsman
[aeppli.ch]

These places are nice for referencing, but there's a fair amount of mistakes, guess work and pure speculation involved. Not that much more reliable than speculation posted here etc. Things said here sometimes finds it's way in to these reference sites. grinning smiley

I know...smiling smiley
But he describes the English Summer takes/versions as though he´s heard them: (all are instrumental, the third has the title Dandelion)
* "A catchy tune" /
* "Even more to the point..." /
* "...more melodic than the official version..."

Date: May 20, 2011 19:19

*error*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 19:23 by Sleepy City.

Date: May 20, 2011 19:22

In case there's people on here that haven't heard it (it certainly as nothing to do with 'Get Yourself Together' though, & I doubt that the title 'English Summer' does either)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 19:23 by Sleepy City.

Date: May 20, 2011 19:37

Sleepy City
In case there's people on here that haven't heard it (it certainly as nothing to do with 'Get Yourself Together' though, & I doubt that the title 'English Summer' does either)...

This appears to be the "Missing Link" between English Summer and Dandelion. Thanks for posting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 19:42 by mitchflorida.

Date: May 20, 2011 19:43

mitchflorida
Sleepy City

This appears to be the "Missing Link" between English Summer and Dandelion. Thanks for posting.

Or 'English Summer' is the missing link between this & 'Dandelion' perhaps?

Date: December 16, 2011 03:58

Sleepy City
His Majesty
Sleepy City
Big Al
Like Looking Tired, was it originally intended for Could You Walk On Water, perhaps?

No, it was recorded after that intended project. Definitely a BTB outtake.

Are we basing this on Bill saying it was?

The alternate (more demo-like) version that's circulating sounds very much like it was recorded at the same session as the demo for 'Yesterday's Papers'. Besides, it certainly doesn't sound like a late 1965 recording to my ears (the released 'Aftermath' was recorded in two distinct batches of sessions, December 1965 [Walk On Water] & March 1966).

New Musical Express - 14th January 1966

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home