Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

aftermath
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 8, 2011 14:35

did brian jones play guitar on any of the tracks on this album? i believe that is him on slide on doncha bother me.i seen various interviews with keith where he said he played most of the guitar's on aftermath.

Re: aftermath
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 8, 2011 14:55

instrumental, I just remember Brian's dulcimer on Lady Jane from this album..rest is pop..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 8, 2011 15:01

Flight 505, It's not easy and Think are songs that have two electric guitars, if I remember
correctly. I guess Brian contributed on those songs. And he had his share of accoustic guitar
playing, on Mothers Little Helper and What to do, I'd say.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 8, 2011 15:11

Mother's Little Helper: Acoustic guitar
Stupid Girl: Acoustic guitar
Lady Jane: Dulcimer
Under My Thumb: Marimba
Doncha Bother Me: Electric guitar (slide)
Going Home: Harmonica
Flight 505: Electric guitar
High And Dry: Harmonica
Out Of Time: Marimba
It's Not Easy: Electric guitar
I Am Waiting: Dulcimer
Take It Or Leave It: Harpsichord and Koto (japanese string instrument)
Think: Electric guitar
What To Do: Acoustic guitar

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: December 8, 2011 15:24

Isn't this the favorite album of havo...????eye popping smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 8, 2011 15:35

Brian played slide on Dontcha Bother Me and that guitar only plays the brief slide part, nothing else.

Although Keith says he played the slide motif on MLH, Brian played that part live on a 12 string and it sounds spot on to the studio version so I reckon Keith is either mis-remembering or they both played the motif(there are 2 guitars playing it).

As for the rest, no one knows for sure what he played on the album guitar wise.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 8, 2011 16:01

Can anyone confirm that Brian play guitar on It's Not Easy?
I have the original RCA acetate of aftermath with an alternate take of It's Not Easy but i still don't know who played guitar on this song, keith or Brian.

Date: December 8, 2011 16:11

steffiestones
Can anyone confirm that Brian play guitar on It's Not Easy?
I have the original RCA acetate of aftermath with an alternate take of It's Not Easy but i still don't know who played guitar on this song, keith or Brian.

Not much if anything has been said about it by the band, but some folks think the warm tone lead licks are Brian. I'm not one of them though.

Posted by: Mock Jogger ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:28

microvibe
did brian jones play guitar on any of the tracks on this album?

I hope it's not too far-fetched for you if I suggest you read the official liner notes for the album: "Guitars: Keith Richard, Brian Jones". As well there is a note by the Stones' sound engineer Dave Hassinger, describing the band's recording process on the sleeve: " - from the moment Mick and Keith run a song down to the rest of the group, - to Brian deciding on an acoustic or electric guitar, or something more bizarre [...]"

The perception of some Stones fans in respect of Brian Jones' guitar playing is completely distorted by some illogical Mick and Keith throw away remarks (coming from the 1990s and later, if I'm right) that Brian "didn't play any guitar after 1965" or even "couldn't hold his guitar anymore" or simular nonsense that is easily disproved by photographs, film sequences, concert appearances, recordings and other documents. But, bizarrely, to no avail: recent discussions on the guitars on Jumpin' Jack Flash proved (again) some on this board believe Keith was capable of overdubbing three guitars on a mono or stereo compact cassette machine. Their belief Brian couldn't play guitar anymore is stronger than reason. Bill says in his two books explicitly Brian played guitar on JJF - and even told how Brian was the first guitar player to play the riff. But they still don't get it. This should be interesting material for psychologists working on selective perception topics.

Actually, Brian Jones plays guitar on more Aftermath tracks than he doesn't. His "departure" from the guitar never was a complete one, not even later on.
Nothing indicates Brian missed a single session date for Aftermath in Dec. 1965 or March 1966 and it's completely bizarre to believe with two guitar players available one of them would do up to two or three overdubs. The interesting thing about Aftermath is that - compared to the Stones' September 1965 recordings that appeared on Out Of Our Heads (UK) and December's Children - the production is much clearer and it's much easier to identify different parts and thus provides quite a good idea of the guitar work of Keith and Brian.

His Majesty
Brian played slide on Dontcha Bother Me and that guitar only plays the brief slide part, nothing else.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. The slide starts within the first few bars and stops towards the end. That's not what I would call "brief". Maybe you are talking about the regular two bars breaks or the two six bars break in the middle bit ('I'm still waiting...' and 'All the clubs and the bars ...') and that the slide motif is itself a short one that's only repeated.

There are clearly four guitars on the track:

left channel: lead guitar (typical Keith style)
right channel: acoustic rhythm guitar, electric rhythm guitar, slide guitar

My guess is the basic recording featured drums, bass, piano, acoustic rhythm guitar, electric rhythm guitar and later it was decided to beef up the recording by overdubbing Keith's lead guitar, Brian's slide and (Mick's?) harmonica.

His Majesty
Although Keith says he played the slide motif on MLH, Brian played that part live on a 12 string and it sounds spot on to the studio version so I reckon Keith is either mis-remembering or they both played the motif(there are 2 guitars playing it).

I'm still waiting for the source for the sitar on Mother's Little Helper being not a sitar that is older than 2002. I asked for this in a discussion ca. 2 years ago. Until now I'm waiting. There is a source coming from 1966 that it's a sitar, the original album credits. If you follow the original album credits for their mid and late 1965 releases (Out Of Our Heads [US], Out Of Our Heads [UK], December's Children) you'll notice by the slight changes for the marimba credit for Stu or the percussion credits these credits were handled with a certain care. Considering the musical ethics of the Stones (and Brian Jones in particular) it would not have been acceptable for them to claim credit for an instrument that was not even played.
And there is a source by someone who was there and even had the habit of writing a diary, Bill Wyman. He says in Rolling With The Stones, about the Dec. 1965 sessions that produced MLH (and not Paint It Black): "Stu was kept very busy throughout the sessions, as he always was. He not only played, but was also nipping out for food and drink and laying a constant stream of instruments. He got me a six-string bass that I played on one number, as well as a sitar for Brian." (p. 212) And you think that sitar was around in the studio with the Stones recording a sitar-like sound and Brian Jones was doing the recording with a guitar? Sorry, not very likely. (It's possible there is a second sound source that could be a slide guitar to double the motif. Hard to tell.)

The claim it is not a sitar and to take it for granted with no other backing than Keith's According To The Rolling Stones statement is a bold one. My personal rating for the reliability of this statement is ca. 1 out of 10. If you'd deliver the name of at least one person out of the millions of people who heard the song between 1966 and 2002 and who couldn't hear a sitar before divine Keith let the world know the final truth: that would be greatly appreciated by me.

"Pushing you in puddles/In the dead of night/Beware of ABKCO"
George Harrison, early Beware Of Darkness version (1970)

Date: December 15, 2011 21:55

Regarding MLH, Brian played the motif live during 1966 on a 12 string with a slide and it sounds much the same as the record. That there is a pre 2002 source for MLH featuring 12 string slide guitar.

I'm glad Keith said what he did about MLH in 2002 because it gave fresh insight and prompted those with an open mind to look and listen again to something that was already being told to us by Brian back in 1966.

Were the 12 string with a slide some kind of make do replacement for sitar live, why did he not use it for Paint It Black as well? Also, when they mimed MLH on Top of the Pops in 1966, Brian played guitar.

Live Hollywood Bowl - 1966

Live Honolulu - 1966.

On the studio version of MLH the main prominant instrument playing the motif is a 12 string guitar with slide(same sound as heard in live version above), with what sounds like another instrument playing the motif underneath it as well. Maybe that is a sitar, but it sounds as if it's being played with a slide as well.

As for the album credits, they maybe simply decided to use same back covers for US and UK albums hence the sitar credit remaining on the UK version.

When I said brief slide part on Dontcha Bother Me, I mean't that the guitar that plays the slide part doesn't play anything else other than that repeated lick. Aside from the slide lick, the other parts are covered by the other guitars.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 16:04 by His Majesty.

Date: December 16, 2011 04:00

Mock Jogger
If you'd deliver the name of at least one person out of the millions of people who heard the song between 1966 and 2002 and who couldn't hear a sitar before divine Keith let the world know the final truth: that would be greatly appreciated by me.

Here you go...

Record Mirror - 16th April 1966

Brian, as far as I am aware, has never said that he played sitar on Mothers Little Helper!? Do you have any quotes by Brian saying he did? Looking through my old magazines, Melody Makers, NME's etc, I've yet to find a mention of Brian using sitar on a stones session from before the March 1966 sessions at RCA.

You'd expect it to be mentioned if it were there, but a report on their December 1965 session in Beat Instrumental makes no mention of sitar... Seems Bill's book nabs parts from this article, but added in the sitar mention.

Beat Instrumental - February 1966

Brian makes no mention of playing sitar on Mothers Little Helper in a Beat Instrumental article on "Indian Instruments" from 1966...

Beat Instrumental - June 1966

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 16:30 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home