Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brown Sugar Versions
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:19

I have always loved the sequence in Gimme Shelter when Kick & Keith are listening to Brown Sugar in the hotel room. That version sounds the same as the released one, except for the countryish Keith guitar fills. There are several alternate studio versions of BS circulating, one with much more Keith singing and alleged Eric Clapton guitar. Anyone here have the complete rundown of all these versions, when and where they were recorded, etc?

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-12 08:21 by 71Tele.

Re: Brown Sugar Versions
Date: May 12, 2011 12:09

The one with Clapton was recorded on Keith's birthday.

A stunning version, imo.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 12, 2011 12:16

71Tele
I have always loved the sequence in Gimme Shelter when Kick & Keith are listening to Brown Sugar in the hotel room. That version sounds the same as the released one, except for the countryish Keith guitar fills. There are several alternate studio versions of BS circulating, one with much more Keith singing and alleged Eric Clapton guitar. Anyone here have the complete rundown of all these versions, when and where they were recorded, etc?

Yes, please, come on, folks.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2011 12:45

DandelionPowderman

A stunning version, imo.

Wasn't this particular version mistakenly released on some initial pressings of Hot Rocks?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 12, 2011 12:56

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

A stunning version, imo.

Wasn't this particular version mistakenly released on some initial pressings of Hot Rocks?

You got it Al. They certainly were though not sure how rare they are these days. How this could happen is beyond belief. I was told it was a mix up in the matrix number but I'm not sure the Clapton version was ever given a matrix number. Perhaps someone can fill in what happened here.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 12, 2011 13:08

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

A stunning version, imo.

No!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 12, 2011 13:20

Rank Stranger
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

A stunning version, imo.

No!

I do have that pressing of Hot Rock. It has a different version of Wild Horses also.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2011 13:35

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp[/quote]

I still got the feeling this verson is most carried by the bass,drums and the vocals. The rhythm guitar sounds a bit out of tune here and there, at least on the edge.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 16:40

ok i'll start

BS1 sticky version 2x keith ( no evidence of any mick T )
BS2 same but a different second guitar which turns out to be keith again
BS3 same but another different second guitar (keith again ) jagger different vocal going "yo! grrrrr at the start
BS4 with eric clapton on slide . complete new track , keith putting a beat in BEFORE the start as he has done since ,clapton centre , first apearance of mick taylor on rhythm and taking the solo, keith combining both his licks of the oficial version at the end

gimme shelter version is probable BS2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-12 16:55 by straycatblues73.

Date: May 12, 2011 16:42

straycatblues73
ok i'll start

BS3 same but another different second guitar (keith again ) jagger different vocal going "yo! grrrrr at the start
BS4 with eric clapton on slide . complete new track , keith putting a beat in BEFORE the start as he has done since ,clapton centre , first apearance of mick taylor on rhythn and taking the solo, keith combining both his licks of the oficial version at the end

Mick Taylor taking a solo - where? I only hear Clapton's slide.

Date: May 12, 2011 16:45

DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
ok i'll start

BS4 with eric clapton on slide . complete new track , keith putting a beat in BEFORE the start as he has done since ,clapton centre , first apearance of mick taylor on rhythn and taking the solo, keith combining both his licks of the oficial version at the end

listen and learn ! ha ha
taylor turns up the volume and causes a little feedback then takes the solo , the slide guitar continues during the solo thus . . .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2011 16:45

I borrowed some dude's collection one day to tape back in the mid-late 1980s but I recall a 12 inch official RSR release that had the Clapton version as the B-side. Which really surprised me but it was there, with the tongue logo and everything. Don't recall what the A-side was but I already had it so I didn't tape it, only taped the B-side - BS with Clapton.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 12, 2011 16:57

That's a counterfeit, not a legitimate Rolling Stones Records release. The same was done with "@#$%& Blues" and "Uptight/Satisfaction" as 45's. They are fake pressings made to look official.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 12, 2011 16:57

Hey 71. I kinda like the Live at Leeds one.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2011 16:59

Then it was a good fake!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2011 17:00

skipstone
I borrowed some dude's collection one day to tape back in the mid-late 1980s but I recall a 12 inch official RSR release that had the Clapton version as the B-side. Which really surprised me but it was there, with the tongue logo and everything. Don't recall what the A-side was but I already had it so I didn't tape it, only taped the B-side - BS with Clapton.

Are you talking about the 12" single, which has C*cksucker Blues on the other side? It looks like an official release, but I believe it is unauthorized.

I have a couple of copies myself, coloured vinyl.

Date: May 12, 2011 17:01

straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
ok i'll start

listen and learn ! ha ha
taylor turns up the volume and causes a little feedback then takes the solo , the slide guitar continues during the solo thus . . .

Sounds like Clapton doing the short licks there to me, lacking Taylor's fluidity, imo.

Date: May 12, 2011 17:20

DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
ok i'll start

listen and learn ! ha ha

Sounds like Clapton doing the short licks there to me, lacking Taylor's fluidity, imo.

i dont know how this came about, i assume it is a one taker ,richards left, taylor right, clapton centre

if it is , then at 1:53 taylor turns up the volume and causes a little feedback then takes the solo in right channel, claptons slide continues in centre

if it s not then clapton could have done an overdub.

love keiths licks at the end

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-12 17:20 by straycatblues73.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2011 17:28

Come one guys, wake up:

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: May 12, 2011 19:01

treaclefingers
skipstone

Are you talking about the 12" single, which has C*cksucker Blues on the other side? It looks like an official release, but I believe it is unauthorized.

I have a couple of copies myself, coloured vinyl.
Yes, and BS has skip or something in the first minute or so.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 12, 2011 19:02

Hi straycatblues73!

The solo starting at 1:53 sounds like pure Clapton to me!
By no way am I an expert on these matters, but I will go so far to say, that the pictures in the "YouTube" post seem incorrect to me too, as I believe Clapton is playing a Fender here, not the Gibson!
Maybe we'll have to wait til Mathijs looks into this thread!

Date: May 12, 2011 19:20

Rank Stranger
Hi straycatblues73!

The solo starting at 1:53 sounds like pure Clapton to me!
By no way am I an expert on these matters, but I will go so far to say, that the pictures in the "YouTube" post seem incorrect to me too, as I believe Clapton is playing a Fender here, not the Gibson!
Maybe we'll have to wait til Mathijs looks into this thread!

yes , rank friend , we'll wait till somebody else comes up with something , i agree that it sounds like clapton but some of those phrases were used by taylor later .

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 12, 2011 19:24

More Hot Rocks
Rank Stranger
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

A stunning version, imo.

No!

I do have that pressing of Hot Rock. It has a different version of Wild Horses also.

The alternate Hot Rocks pressing has a different version of Brown Sugar than the Gimme Shelter version, that's what Rank Stranger talked about

When it comes to the EC version of Keith's birthday, it was recorded on Keith's birthday in 1969....not 1970

My favourite version of BS studio version is still, by far, the officially released one.

Date: May 12, 2011 19:47

straycatblues73
ok i'll start

BS4 with eric clapton on slide . complete new track , keith putting a beat in BEFORE the start as he has done since ,clapton centre , first apearance of mick taylor on rhythm and taking the solo, keith combining both his licks of the oficial version at the end

gimme shelter version is probable BS2

All based on the Muscle Shoals rhythm track, or was there a separate track recorded at Olympic?

Date: May 12, 2011 19:49

Carnaby
Hey 71. I kinda like the Live at Leeds one.

Me too! But we should save live versions for a separate thread, as there are millions of them. My fave would be Brussells '73, followed closely by '72.

Date: May 12, 2011 19:53

Can anyone post the audio of the version on the early Hot Rocks pressing (along with Wild Horses). This is kind of a legend to me and I don't think I have ever actually heard them.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:48

So the Clapton version wasn't on any initial pressing of Hot Rocks?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:49

71Tele
Can anyone post the audio of the version on the early Hot Rocks pressing (along with Wild Horses). This is kind of a legend to me and I don't think I have ever actually heard them.

It appears on ebay from time to time. Mind the matrix of side 4!

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:51

I was under the impression that the Brown Sugar with Clapton was from a birthday party thrown for Keith in 1971. I could be mistaken though.

Date: May 12, 2011 20:53

71Tele

I posted it. No Wild Horse, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-12 20:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home