Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones to do One (1),50 anniversary show next year,and broadcast it on Pay Per view.Or so the story goes.
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 11, 2011 03:12

Let me Preempt,this story by saying that this could be bullshit,but somehow imo it makes sense.
An acquaintance of mine who works in the industry is the source for this,according to him, as of now the band plans to reunite for one show in England next year to be sold as a pay per view to the rest of the world.
Basically, this would be the last time for them as a band,but it won't be announced as such.The band would make a huge amount of money with this concept, according to some Mick Jagger knows that neither Keith or Ronnie could stand the rigors of another worldwide tour,therefore with one pay perview show they could reach more people than if they were to go on the road,with a lot less risk of either Keith or Ronnie becoming a liability on a long tour.
Personally, l believe that at this point with all that has been going on in the band during the last couple of years, a one shot deal is all they are gonna do.
We'll see.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Stones to do One (1),50 anniversary show next year,and broadcast it on Pay Per view.Or so the story goes.
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 11, 2011 03:29

I don't see the band coming out of semi-retirement only to rehearse 25 songs for 1 pay-per-view show. If EVER they go back on tour, I can see them doing a very, small tour and then ending it with the PPV concert and then hang it up. For them to create enough buzz around this PPV show, they need to promote it as something radically different than their past televised shows. If they're not going to promote it as the last time...this PPV telecast might go unnoticed.

Re: Stones to do One (1),50 anniversary show next year,and broadcast it on Pay Per view.Or so the story goes.
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:01

ROPENI
Let me Preempt,this story by saying that this could be bullshit,but somehow imo it makes sense.
An acquaintance of mine who works in the industry is the source for this,according to him, as of now the band plans to reunite for one show in England next year to be sold as a pay per view to the rest of the world.
Basically, this would be the last time for them as a band,but it won't be announced as such.The band would make a huge amount of money with this concept, according to some Mick Jagger knows that neither Keith or Ronnie could stand the rigors of another worldwide tour,therefore with one pay perview show they could reach more people than if they were to go on the road,with a lot less risk of either Keith or Ronnie becoming a liability on a long tour.
Personally, l believe that at this point with all that has been going on in the band during the last couple of years, a one shot deal is all they are gonna do.
We'll see.
ROPENI..What sort of money would that cost the viewers

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:08

I can feel Gazza hovering....

Date: May 11, 2011 04:09

colonial
ROPENI
We'll see.
ROPENI..What sort of money would that cost the viewers

colonial,l dn't know how much they would charge,but, pay per view fights sell for $50-$60 per shot,so the amount they could make could be huge.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:24

People pay $50 to watch a fight because there is an element of suspense. You don't know what's going to happen. What's the element of suspense for a Stones concert? Trying to guess which song you'd never expect them to play is actually going to get played? "OMG they did Have You Seen Your Mother Baby! Alert the press!" Any one of us could right now correctly name half the songs they would play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-11 04:24 by tatters.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:26

How many copies did the Exile reissue sell? How many copies did the dvd of Ladies & Gentlemen sell? This should give us an accurate starting point to estimate the number of people who would be interested in an "event". Realisticly, with all of the post 2000 dvd's available, and the overwhelming demand people seem to have for them, I don't see all that much need for a one-off pay per view. Can you see the headlines... "Stones to old to tour but will let you pay $50 to watch them on tv one last time". For that price I can buy all of the existing dvd's used and wouldn't feel like I was being used. I'm still hoping that they have something left for us. Album. Tour. Yes. PPV? Not so much. I'll buy that for $7.99 at amazon a month later.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:31

I could see Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd doing something like this and being able to draw large numbers of people crowding around their TV sets or even packing into movie theaters to watch it, but the Stones (even next year, when it will have been five years since their last gig), are STILL too overexposed for something like this to generate that much interest. "First Concert In Five Years" isn't going to do it. "First Concert In Five Years And Last Concert Ever" WOULD be a different story, though.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-11 04:58 by tatters.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 11, 2011 05:14

ROPENI
We'll see.

I like this concept opposed to a long arduous tour, makes more sense, however, I still would like to see at least one final album. This would be a great way to go out and would open the door for Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman to re-join the band for one final farewell appearance.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 11, 2011 06:05

tatters
I could see Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd doing something like this and being able to draw large numbers of people crowding around their TV sets or even packing into movie theaters to watch it, but the Stones (even next year, when it will have been five years since their last gig), are STILL too overexposed for something like this to generate that much interest. "First Concert In Five Years" isn't going to do it. "First Concert In Five Years And Last Concert Ever" WOULD be a different story, though.

Exactly. Having a PPV view is a waste of time (ha ha): nobody gives a shit about a band that keeps going and playing the same ol' shit while proclaiming to be doing something new. And they have nothing new to offer and haven't since 2005. Plundered My Soul is not "new" ie moving forward nor was the rest of it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2011 06:11

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
But yeah it could happen.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 11, 2011 06:31

Given that first shows of Stones tours tend to suck monkey dicks, this is a really bad idea.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 13:27

ROPENI
We'll see.

I don´t think bad idea. But not one concert only but maybe a little number os concerts to ppv. But I don´t believe.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 14:50

I trust in BV and he said the tour will happen!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2011 15:11

I proposed something like this a couple of months ago but was immediately "gunned down" by senior members on this forum. My idea was something like this: Play New York, London, Paris do 3-5 concerts on each place; sell the last concert on each place to the highest bidding TV company. Maybe you can cover a couple of more cities, but not too many. I don't think the usual big tour is feasible any more.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 15:26

I'm sure a huge world tour will happen.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 11, 2011 16:05

Stoneage
I proposed something like this a couple of months ago but was immediately "gunned down" by senior members on this forum. My idea was something like this: Play New York, London, Paris do 3-5 concerts on each place; sell the last concert on each place to the highest bidding TV company. Maybe you can cover a couple of more cities, but not too many. I don't think the usual big tour is feasible any more.

I suggested this too. I think it's the most they could come up with. World tours are over. Forget about it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 11, 2011 16:09

Don't have any inside (or outside) info, but this makes sense.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 16:10

PPV makes absolutely no sence today. They would earn nothing, since who would pay, when the whole thing would be on the net within few hours anyway? And the estimated 50 Euro is pretty much half (or even more) the price of a ticket for a real concert. I am a huge fan, but I would not pay this for watching TV. No, there is nothing real in this rumour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-11 16:11 by Happy24.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 11, 2011 16:17

colonial
..What sort of money would that cost the viewers

Never mind the viewers - what sort of money would it cost to attend the live show?! Scalpers...field day...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 11, 2011 16:27

I think they will tour. But for it to be a big successful tour they need a new hit album.

They will need to grab new and younger fans that would buy tickets because of the
energy of a new hit..Something like Some Girls or TY album did for them..

If not they will sell out only smaller places with the "older diehards" like us!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2011 17:12

It sounds like the working towards a PPV concert centered around the 50th anniversary. That's the kind of setting where Mick Taylor and/or Bill Wyman could participate. But I'm sure this would happen in the middle of a concert tour, or at the end. These are hard core businessmen. The concert would have to be positioned for them to take the most advantage.

Date: May 11, 2011 17:20

Does anyone really believes,that The Stones at this stage,with all the animosity between their leaders,plus Ronnie, according to rumors back in the party scene,plus their age,can go on the road for a large scale tour?. Yes, they could do some small shows,but l don't believe their egos could handle it,now that U2 has surpassed them as the biggest touring act,Mick probably would want to do something huge,but he knows his guitar players are not up to it. Therefore a PPV would be the next best thing.The Stones are great promoters,and if they actually do something special,like bringing back Bill and MT,plus some other stars,l think they could pull it off,and if they charge a reasonable amount,imo it would sell,l know there are lots of if's,but probably if they do something as a band it will be this.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2011 17:22

The Stones haven't had a hit single since the eighties finished. They also haven't relied on a hit album to propel a tour since TATTOO YOU. That's 30 years ago. The older casual fan and the diehards kept them more than successful on the road for 20 years. If they tour again, I wouldn't expect a change.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 11, 2011 17:29

Justin
I don't see the band coming out of semi-retirement only to rehearse 25 songs for 1 pay-per-view show.

exactly.

24 songs, maybe, but never 25....

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 11, 2011 17:43

if a PPV along these lines were to happen it seems it would be similar to the movie theater broadcast of the rio show a week after it happened.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 11, 2011 18:09

erm, yeah, but the Rio show was actually webcast as it happened...albeit with a half hour delay.

Takes the same amount to time to rehearse a 20-song set for a month of shows as it does to rehearse it for one show. They're more likely to take the option that generates the most cash (they could of course do BOTH of 'em)

I honestly can't see the Stones going 'cold' into a show in front of millions of people after a five year break. The chances of it being a trainwreck would be too great. Plus, as said earlier, in the age of torrenting, it would be available online for free in no time, and thats certainly going to dissuade potential buyers. Additionally, a show being screened worldwide is going to flop in most countries due to the time difference. Who's going to pay about £20 or £30 to watch a concert thats being shown at 5 am?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 11, 2011 18:11

yes, i think we've successfully debunked this preposterous idea. good job, team!

now - onward to the next debunking!

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: May 11, 2011 18:20

ablett
I can feel Gazza hovering....

lol

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 11, 2011 18:22

A limited series of "special" shows is more likely...They won't put all their chips down on one show.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home