Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick and Keith weigh in in new issue of ROLLLING STONE MAGAZINE's cover story: "Bob Dylan's best 70 songs."
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 13, 2011 20:06

New comments from Mick and Keith about their favorite Dylan songs are in the new ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE. I'm not particularly a Dylan fan (but I'm not an un-fan, either), but it was interesting to read their and other stars comments about his work.

Re: Mick and Keith weigh in in new issue of ROLLLING STONE MAGAZINE's cover story: "Bob Dylan's best 70 songs."
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:02

My appreciation only grows deeper. I'm not looking forward to Bono's over the top assessments. Dylan is a true road warrior. I got a great kick out of him and his band doing 'Brown Sugar' a few years back. The musicality of his work is severly underrated because everyone is always focused on the persona of Dylan.

Re: Mick and Keith weigh in in new issue of ROLLLING STONE MAGAZINE's cover story: "Bob Dylan's best 70 songs."
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:32

The Stones covered "Like a Rolling Stone", and really didn't top Dylan, which is unusual. Everybody else covers Dylan songs and makes huge hits out of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-13 22:42 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:38

mitchflorida
The Stones covered Like a Rolling Stone, and really didn't top Dylan, which is unusual. Everybody covers Dylan songs and makes huge hits out of them.

That's probably because it was a live recording with Jagger's, um, 'Vegas' voice.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:55

Usually these lists are top ten. But with Dylan, 70 seems a more proper #

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:56

I thought it was much better than Dylan's. By far.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:56

"Watching The River Flow" is great! (I mean the "Boogie For Stu" version)

Date: May 14, 2011 03:51

doubledoor
Usually these lists are top ten. But with Dylan, 70 seems a more proper #

It's coinciding with his 70th birthday.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:11

There are joys to be had in even "minor" Dylan songs. I was listening to "Down In The Flood" the other day (the version with Happy Traum on Greatest Hits II). Seems like a nothing song at first, but it's full of tricks: Clever turns of phrase, a bluesy groove, etc. Dylan (despite the weakness of his later concert performances) is a well you can dip into again and again, shallow or deep.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:42

The version of "Down In The Flood" on the MASKED & ANONYMOUS kicks ass.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 14, 2011 09:14

"Watching the River Flow" is great! (I mean the Leon Russell on piano original Dylan version)

The Stones (well, Mick & Keith) seem to have this perplexing relationship with Dylan. And no, they have never done a good cover of a Dylan song, unless there's a bootleg out there I haven't heard. It is funny, as MITCHFLORIDA pointed out, that they usually make covers their own, but Dylan has been like musical Kryptonite to them.

Date: May 14, 2011 10:54

P.S. The 2011 photo below of Mick and Paul in NY is in the same issue (they're at a Metropolitan Museum of Art bash).

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:01

jamesfdouglas
mitchflorida
The Stones covered Like a Rolling Stone, and really didn't top Dylan, which is unusual. Everybody covers Dylan songs and makes huge hits out of them.

That's probably because it was a live recording with Jagger's, um, 'Vegas' voice.

I think it's one of the naffest things the Stones ever did, Live recording or not. 'So like, we're the Rolling Stones yeh, so we should cover Like A rolling stone'.

Plus the fact that it just sounded wrong. Mick's a great vocalist of course, but he just can't carry those lyrics. Leave that one to Bob.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:16

Roll73
jamesfdouglas
mitchflorida

I think it's one of the naffest things the Stones ever did, Live recording or not. 'So like, we're the Rolling Stones yeh, so we should cover Like A rolling stone'.

Plus the fact that it just sounded wrong. Mick's a great vocalist of course, but he just can't carry those lyrics. Leave that one to Bob.

I think it speaks volumes that there was a thread about best Dylan covers here at IORR, and in its two or three pages no one even mentioned "Like A Rolling Stone" by The Stones...

I also feel a bit uncomfortable with The Stones version of the song. Basically it is okay by its musical componenents (if we analysize them one by one) but there is something twisted about the whole affair. The song just don't fit to them. It is a bit cheap trick (and there is nothing humble 'this is our tribute to Bob in it; it sounds more like stolen to their own not so sublime purposes). Jagger's joke that "Dylan wrote it for them" doesn't amuse anyone. I think they should have covered a song like "Rainy Day Women" instead, which might have suited them better, the 'lyrics' would have matched even better, and now - when think of it - it could have sounded quite funny and interesting actually.

In the end, when the greatest rock and roll songs ever are listed most likely "Like A Rolling Stone" is the number one. It is 'too big' even for The Stones.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 11:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 14, 2011 16:00

not every thread needs a critic....jusy sayin

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 14, 2011 18:24

Somebody at the magazine will surely lost their job over putting a legend from the '60s on the cover. Think about it. Lady GaGa was on American Idol this week!

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 14, 2011 18:31

What were Mick'n'Keith's favourite Dylan songs?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home