Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: New Music's as good as the 60's/70's/80's/90's/early 2000's? - Post Your Proof !!!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:46

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
i don't think it's PROBLEM if someone doesn't like today's band....but as others have indicated it's pointless to try to discuss quality in any kind of objective way. ccm asked what bands are producing quality music...to which i answer, if you have to ask, then clearly you don't either know or regard their music as highly. but, it's a purely subjective thing.... to me, there is as much quality music out there as there's ever been...

As I always seem to on the matter, I agree 100% with you StonesTod.
If you have to ask, you're not putting in the effort needed to find the good stuff.

Hint: it ain't today's commercial radio.

right. and i would agree with others who suggest that top-40 music isn't as interesting as it used to be....

the music biz has always and will always draw in talent of all levels...and as such, there will always be music varying in relative quality. but, the idea that new ideas in the music well have dried up is utterly ridiculous. there's new, fresh and exciting ideas being generated by new talent everyday...it's always been that way.

Re: OT: New Music's as good as the 60's/70's/80's/90's/early 2000's? - Post Your Proof !!!
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 13, 2011 23:05

StonesTod
there's new, fresh and exciting ideas being generated by new talent everyday...it's always been that way.

That may be.

But it isn't music that sounds like the stones, beatles, led zep, bob dylan and all the others from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Guitars bass and drums has all been done. You're looking at minute variations today. Just like the cul de sac classical music went down (and look what happened to that). All good things come to an end.

The only real NEW music in the past 20 years has been rap, house and trance and all that nonsense - I hated most if not all of it. But at least it was different to be fair.

Date: May 13, 2011 23:12

GravityBoy
StonesTod
there's new, fresh and exciting ideas being generated by new talent everyday...it's always been that way.

That may be.

But it isn't music that sounds like the stones, beatles, led zep, bob dylan and all the others from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Guitars bass and drums has all been done. You're looking at minute variations today. Just like the cul de sac classical music went down (and look what happened to that). All good things come to an end.

so rock and rock is dead, eh? i guess i missed the obit....

Date: May 13, 2011 23:25

StonesTod
so rock and rock is dead, eh? i guess i missed the obit....

I never said that. It is on life support though.

I don't get excited when a new band comes along doing the same old stuff (power chords with an added 6th) dressed in a new wig and groovy new (old) fashions.

If you listen to new bands you will hear the old bands. They are even still playing strats, telecasters, les pauls and 335's.

Like I said, the lucky ones were the ones in unexplored sonic territory in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

it's regurgitation now.

Date: May 13, 2011 23:28

don't agree at all. i hear all kinds of new ideas being generated in popular music/rock'n'roll...and in jazz and in blooze and in just about any other musical genre you can name.

maybe we just hear differently....

Date: May 13, 2011 23:31

StonesTod
don't agree at all. i hear all kinds of new ideas being generated in popular music/rock'n'roll...and in jazz and in blooze and in just about any other musical genre you can name.

Show me something new.

And we'll play the spot where it's coming from game.

Date: May 13, 2011 23:34

GravityBoy
StonesTod

Show me something new.

And we'll play the spot where it's coming from game.

you first

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 14, 2011 00:50

Cobalts gin may be too loud for most peoples taste, but it is truly an amazing record. And it has a very fresh new sound. Set aside an prejudices and give this a try. It's great, new , fresh and it's from 2009

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 00:53 by Whale.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 01:38

StonesTod
good post td - but as to this part:

Fact of the matter is, most people are only casual listeners. Popular music has been dumbed down to appeal to people that don't really care as opposed to the hardcore fans. Does it have a good beat? A good hook? Is it catchy enough? Is the singer sexy? Those are the important things for popular radio.

i agree - but hasn't that ALWAYS been true? most radio listeners have always been casual music fans and radio has always been designed to appeal to those listeners. ALWAYS. i was a dj for many years starting in the early 70's and the radio business is a profit-making industry like most others...and by its very nature it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator. of course, there has always been a underground strain too - but those outlets have not been profitable, for the most part...

What you say is true. But don't you feel that this has become the case even more since the advent of video in the '80's? I know there's always been bubblegum pop and shlock and whatever, but by the 90's video had become a really important medium for popular music. The video's became more important than the music, and the Britney's and Jessica's became huge because they were sexy. I know the music biz has always been that way to an extent, but I also believe this soul-less strain of pop became bigger than ever in the era dominated by music video and endless media exposure on the internet. The teen queen's and heart throbs in the '60's and '70's didn't have that kind of exposure.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 14, 2011 02:15

Wilco is one of many great bands out there today.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 14, 2011 02:37

Here's my proof.

Drew

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 14, 2011 08:47

rock and roll will never be the way it was in the 1960's and 1970's. today's music doesn't have it's true roots in the blues like it was for artists coming up during the beatles and stones era. i just don's see it, or hear it for that matter.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 14, 2011 13:18

Midnight Toker
today's music doesn't have it's true roots in the blues

Check out White Stripes or Kills albums. They have their roots in the blues and play it.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: May 14, 2011 14:32

little bird

-tomr

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 14, 2011 14:48

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Round and Round

Titus Andronicus - 'A More Perfect Union'

Fleet Foxes - Grown Ocean

Teenage Fanclub - Baby Lee

Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill

M.I.A. - Paper Planes

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Animal Collective - My Girls

Posted by: Melanie69 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 15:14

Very Very Sad. the State of Todays Music, None of the groups listed above have any staying power, no personality. no iconic frontman, no guitar gods, no fun! Eventually their 15 minutes will be up and they will fade away to obscurity. Lets face it, does anyone actually believe anyone will be listening to Animal Collective or Fleet Foxes 10 years from now? Not!!! Music used to be a life changing event but nowdays yawn inducing. The kids of today got cheated. Oh well, theirs always the bootlegs...

Date: May 14, 2011 15:17

Melanie69
Lets face it, does anyone actually believe anyone will be listening to Animal Collective or Fleet Foxes 10 years from now? Not!!!

I've actually been listening to Animal Collective for about 10 years, as it happens.

Teenage Fanclub for going on 20.

Posted by: Melanie69 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 16:13

LOL I'm sure you have

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 14, 2011 16:33

CaledonianGonzo
Melanie69
Lets face it, does anyone actually believe anyone will be listening to Animal Collective or Fleet Foxes 10 years from now? Not!!!

I've actually been listening to Animal Collective for about 10 years, as it happens.

Do you know Grizzly Bear? If not, I think you'd like them, judging from your selection of artists above.

Date: May 14, 2011 17:01

Thricenay
CaledonianGonzo
Melanie69

Do you know Grizzly Bear? If not, I think you'd like them, judging from your selection of artists above.

Yup - sure do. Veckatimest is a great album. I think Ed Droste has Scottish roots, so they seem to play Glasgow and Edinburgh pretty frequently. Though they're lacking a 'guitar god', I fear.

To be honest, I just got bored quite quickly posting videos - I could have gone on posting any number of great current artists that I like - Joanna Newsom, Beach House, Phoenix, John Grant, Belle & Sebastian, The Decemberists, Caribou, Deerhunter, Gruff Rhys/SFA, Wild Beasts, Bon Iver, etc.

Date: May 14, 2011 17:06

Melanie69
Very Very Sad. the State of Todays Music, None of the groups listed above have any staying power, no personality. no iconic frontman, no guitar gods, no fun! Eventually their 15 minutes will be up and they will fade away to obscurity. Lets face it, does anyone actually believe anyone will be listening to Animal Collective or Fleet Foxes 10 years from now? Not!!! Music used to be a life changing event but nowdays yawn inducing. The kids of today got cheated. Oh well, theirs always the bootlegs...

oh, please.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 14, 2011 17:09

CaledonianGonzo
Thricenay
CaledonianGonzo
Melanie69

Yup - sure do. Veckatimest is a great album. I think Ed Droste has Scottish roots, so they seem to play Glasgow and Edinburgh pretty frequently. Though they're lacking a 'guitar god', I fear.

To be honest, I just got bored quite quickly posting videos - I could have gone on posting any number of great current artists that I like - Joanna Newsom, Beach House, Phoenix, John Grant, Belle & Sebastian, The Decemberists, Caribou, Deerhunter, Gruff Rhys/SFA, Wild Beasts, Bon Iver, etc.

Agnes Obel? Her album Philharmonics was one of my favourites from last year.

Date: May 14, 2011 17:21

StonesTod
Melanie69

oh, please. exactly what every older generation of music fans has been saying about the "new" bands

Date: May 14, 2011 17:44

Thricenay
Agnes Obel? Her album Philharmonics was one of my favourites from last year.

Ooh - not heard that. Will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 15, 2011 00:19

Try this one. It's truly outstanding:

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 15, 2011 00:26

StonesTod
Melanie69

oh, please.

Exactly the point I was making Melanie...I agree 100%. Sure there are lots of good songs around if you look, but their is no quality and the test of time will show todays music to be just crap. The day of the supergroup is gone.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 15, 2011 01:41

"Maybe it's your ears that are jaded." -- Mick Jagger

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 15, 2011 04:08

CaledonianGonzo:

Thanks for posting these. I like several and will be checking into the artists more deeply. Any additional recommendations?

Oops, I see you mentioned several others - thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-15 04:09 by scaffer.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 15, 2011 04:17

To those frumps who cutlurally casterate themselves into believing that there's no good music being made today...

Sit in your own self-punishment, but keep your hate for anything fresh and (gasp) unfamiliar that you're (egads) not already 'in-on' to yourselves.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 15, 2011 10:22

jamesfdouglas
To those frumps who cutlurally casterate themselves into believing that there's no good music being made today...

Sit in your own self-punishment, but keep your hate for anything fresh and (gasp) unfamiliar that you're (egads) not already 'in-on' to yourselves.

Actually that's pretty good.

Derivative (and that's the point really) but good in a "New Wave" way.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home