Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brussel affair sent to England
Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 24, 2014 00:02

Hi.
Hope someone can help me with some questions.
I'm going to order Brussels affair from Stones.com, and I live in Norway. The tax in to Norway is about 50% of the price of the item. ($300 + $150)

My daughter is living in London at the moment, so I think I can use her adress for delivery - so the questions are:

1. Is it a tax for delivery to England?
2. Is it delivery with DHL, or can you pick it up at a post-office?
(She will not be back in London before January 12 at the earliest)
3. Anybody knows about ca. delivery time from order?
4. Shipping costs? - It was free for some days ago, but I think it's ended now.

Thanks!

Per Arne

Re: Brussel affair sent to England
Date: December 24, 2014 00:09

Is it really 50% tax??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2014 00:13

DandelionPowderman
Is it really 50% tax??

uh-oh...wait'll you get your invoice!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 24, 2014 00:18

I know you out there pay a lot of tax on booze and sigarettes but records? I suggest to write an open letter to Erna grinning smiley

Date: December 24, 2014 00:19

NICOS
I know you out there pay a lot of tax on booze and sigarettes but records? I suggest to write an open letter to Erna grinning smiley

Maybe because there was so much booze and cigarettes consumed on that album, they're taxing it retroactively?

Date: December 24, 2014 00:43

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Is it really 50% tax??

uh-oh...wait'll you get your invoice!

Keeping my fingers crossed. I've been lucky before.

Then again, the Kinks's Phobia on vinyl isn't quite the beast this box is. But it was just as expensive...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 24, 2014 02:14

Keep in mind the damn-thing's huge. You might have to add on to the household.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 09:44

Sadly, I think you'll get shafted even if you try sending it to the UK...Even small packages can sometimes get caught with 'handling charges' VAT duty etc..and makes it a waste of time. Sadly, global markets mean.."All prices are equal, but some are more equal than others" I looked at buying the set, but can't justify giving the tax man a massive wedge...So come on Stones, do the sensible bloody thing and release it on CD n Vinyl...you know it makes sense!

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: December 24, 2014 10:57

If it is sent from an EU country and delivered within EU I think there are no extra costs because VAT is included when you order, so if you live close to Sweden you could also have it sent poste restante there and pick it up.
And yes, 50% extra (or more) is not unusual if you get it delivered by DHL. DHL charge an awful cost to handle the package and collect the VAT. If you know you must pay Norwegian VAT, make sure it is delivered by postal service. Stay away from DHL.

Also note that since Norway is outside of EU, many EU stores (not all) deduct the VAT form the price you pay so at least you don't end up paying VAT twice.

Date: December 24, 2014 11:29

Norway has an agreement with the EU that settles this. It won't be 50% tax per se. Shipping and handling ($74) is already paid for. Do you mean DHL will charge anything on top of that?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 24, 2014 12:16

This is the main reason why I haven't taken the plunge on this set.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: December 24, 2014 13:08

If it costs more then 200 NOK + postage (350 NOK including postage after 1/1-15) you will normally have to pay 25% VAT of the total import price including postage whether it is sent from EU or not. On top of that DHL will charge you 2 amounts. One fee for calculating the VAT, and one additional fee for handling the VAT payment from you. Just the fees to DHL might be 5-600 NOK or more plus the VAT.
If you get it delivered by post the fee is fixed NOK 130 if the value (before Norwegian VAT) is above 200 NOK and below 1000 NOK, and about the twice if it is more than 1000 NOK. Not sure about the 1000 NOK limit, could be 1200 NOK, I also belive this limit will increase from 1/1-15)

Date: December 24, 2014 15:38

I've gotten into this situation with DHL. My wife accepted a package and they lopped $40 or $50 on top.

Luckily, I ordered from Amazon and complained, and they reversed the charge.

If you deal with a reputable seller it isn't a problem.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 24, 2014 15:58

I don't understand this: Norway is in Europe, you don't have to pay taks etc for sending an item between two countries in Europe. It has nothing to do with if it is an Eurocountry or not. England is also not in the European Union and I have never have to pay taks when I buy an item from England, which I do all the time. I live in The Netherlands by the way. But maybe Norway is different?

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 24, 2014 16:58

As far as I remember is all the stuff from Rollingstones.com shipped from US.
Got 3 packages with T-shirts from them after 14 on fire europa, and I could pick them up on the postoffice and pay tax there. (Different tax on all 3!!)
A couple of friends bought the Brussel box when it went on sale, and they got it by DHL. I don't think you can choose delivery method when ordering.

Per Arne

Date: December 24, 2014 17:31

That's also not true: you can choose before you order something for US, Europe England etc..
I ordered from England, but strangely but somehow all items were send to me from France this summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-24 21:58 by GJV.

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: December 24, 2014 21:20

GJV
I don't understand this: Norway is in Europe, you don't have to pay taks etc for sending an item between two countries in Europe. It has nothing to do with if it is an Eurocountry or not. England is also not in the European Union and I have never have to pay taks when I buy an item from England, which I do all the time. I live in The Netherlands by the way. But maybe Norway is different?

England is part of the European Union, Norway is not. Free trade in European Union. (It has nothing to do with the Euro)

The customs union abolished customs duties at EU countries' national borders and put in place a uniform system of customs duties on imports. Customs officers not only keep trade flowing, but perform a wide range of tasks to protect Europeans.

Member states of the EU
(year of entry)
Austria (1995)
Belgium (1952)
Bulgaria (2007)
Croatia (2013)
Cyprus (2004)
Czech Republic (2004)
Denmark (1973)
Estonia (2004)
Finland (1995)
France (1952)
Germany (1952)
Greece (1981)
Hungary (2004)
Ireland (1973)
Italy (1952)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (1952)
Malta (2004)
Netherlands (1952)
Poland (2004)
Portugal (1986)
Romania (2007)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1986)
Sweden (1995)
United Kingdom (1973)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-24 21:21 by elmod.

Date: December 25, 2014 00:49

Ok, thanks for your detailed explanation.thumbs up

Date: January 2, 2015 10:06

A package will be delivered from UPS later today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, regarding both tax and delivery fees...

Date: January 2, 2015 12:36

NO TAX, NO EXTRA SHIPPING OR HANDLING!!!

Best Christmas gift I could possibly have wished for thumbs up smileys with beer drinking smiley

YESSSSSSSSSSS hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 12:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home