Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot- Severiano Ballesteros
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 7, 2011 16:47

RIP Seve. A modern golfing genius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 16:48 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Re: ot- Severiano Ballesteros
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:05

A privilege to watch him. Absolutely brilliant at playing his way out of situations he should never have got himself into in the first place...

What a shame to lose him so early - condolences to his family.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:21

Sad to hear. A great Masters champion.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:01

The man was a champion in every way, a real class act.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:21

He won't be regretted by eo-conscious people. When you travel to Spain and see beautiful golf courses in the middle of deserts you can help but think : "WTF were these people thinking whne they built these ecologic monstruosities? Can't they save their water for more intelligent uses?"

I wonder if Seb wasn't responsible for the bloom of golf courses there... If he is, good riddance!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:24

A great guy and a real champion in all he did.His last great battle has now come to an end. R.I.P. Seve. sad smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 7, 2011 21:31

I have no particular loyalty to Seve but "good riddance"?? Because he "may" have had something to do with the construction of golf courses in Spain? You're a real class act, dcba. Maybe you can educate us on which parts of Spain have no water because of a golf course. On second thought, never mind.

RIP Seve.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 7, 2011 21:49

dcba
He won't be regretted by eo-conscious people. When you travel to Spain and see beautiful golf courses in the middle of deserts you can help but think : "WTF were these people thinking whne they built these ecologic monstruosities? Can't they save their water for more intelligent uses?"

I wonder if Seb wasn't responsible for the bloom of golf courses there... If he is, good riddance!

There are many golf courses in Spain, and elsewhere, because people want to play golf. The majority of golfers who play in Spain are foreign tourists who bring their money to the region and boost the local economies. Golf, golf courses and golf tourism were all invented before Seve, he just showed us what flair, courage and dedication could bring to a conservative sport.

Your comments are crass and Seve, as a golfer and a gentleman, would disown you and your sentiments.

I have wept tears today at his passing. RIP Seve, a sportsman and a gentleman.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 22:55

I know that Jose Maria Olazabal and Sergio Garcia both thought of him as a mentor .

Godspeed Seve

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 8, 2011 05:53

dcba

Idiotic, ill-founded and tasteless post. 'Good riddance'? What kind of comment is that to make about someone who has died?

A true great who single-handedly dragged the European game from a couple of decades in the doldrums and who did more than anyone to make the Ryder Cup into the greatest team sporting contest in the world.

I was there when he won his first Open at Lytham in 1979. It was a privilege to watch him. Was absolutely gutted to hear about his passing this morning.

God bless you, maestro.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 8, 2011 08:04

Gazza
dcba

Idiotic, ill-founded and tasteless post. 'Good riddance'? What kind of comment is that to make about someone who has died?

A true great who single-handedly dragged the European game from a couple of decades in the doldrums and who did more than anyone to make the Ryder Cup into the greatest team sporting contest in the world.

I was there when he won his first Open at Lytham in 1979. It was a privilege to watch him. Was absolutely gutted to hear about his passing this morning.

God bless you, maestro.

Perfectly said Gazza, on all points. : (

RIP
Seve

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: May 8, 2011 09:30

Aupa Seve!!!

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: May 8, 2011 10:48

dcba

In these sad moments, your comment is totally inappropriate. You should know that Cantabria, place of origin of Seve, has a lovely green meadows as the whole of northern Spain. He learned to play by hitting rocks with a stick. He was the biggest!
Rest in peace Seve.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: May 8, 2011 16:27

It might have been Azinger who said Seve was the only guy he'd pay to watch. RIP.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 8, 2011 21:59

His captainship of the Ryder Cup team in Spain was one of the great force of wills I have ever seen in sports. I was rooting for the Americans, of course, but Seve made me believe early on that there was no way the Europeans were going to lose that competition. He was a fearless, active, smart and intense leader. I remember him stopping someone (Montgomery?) at address to have the American walk up a hundred yards or more to mark his ball because (in Seve's mind) it was going to be in the way when the European stuck his shot on the pin. Brilliant!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 8, 2011 22:08

Colin Montgomerie made a good point yesterday that the US tour is what it is today due to the magnetism that Arnold Palmer brought to the sport - and that the European tour is what it is now due to Seve.

His impact on the game in Europe has been pretty much incalculable.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 8, 2011 22:11

I was surprised to see it in the newspaper this morning. He was awesome.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 9, 2011 04:10

skipstone
I was surprised to see it in the newspaper this morning. He was awesome.
He's been pretty sick for a few years now with brain cancer. RIP Seve,always fun to watch and a colorful personality to match.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 9, 2011 04:49

I got into golf well after Seve's successful run in the 1980's. I wish I could have saw him live. Great golfer according to the legends of his time, including Jack Nicklaus. So long, Seve and RIP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home