Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Semi OT: Sorry Chuck, maybe you should call it quits?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 4, 2011 01:45

I'm a GREAT admirer for this man. He has influenced my life. But this is just a little too painful to watch.

Re: Semi OT: Sorry Chuck, maybe you should call it quits?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:01

The painful thing is that the guitar is not even close to being in tune.
If you watch the way he plays, he still plays some mean licks and it's only the terribly tuned guitar that lets him down.

It's a shame he doesn't use a guitar tech who can give him a freshly tuned axe every couple of numbers, it would improve shows like this no end.

Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:03

Leave Chuck alone. He has earned the right to play as long as he likes. He created Rock Music. Period.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:13

"He has earned the right to play as long as he likes"

I'm not sure about this.........stop while you can .........or as Vidicus stated "use a guitar tech who can give him a freshly tuned axe every couple of numbers,"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:24

Hasn't he always been like this. He doesn't seem to mind a little off-tune playing here and there. It's as if that makes it a bit less boring for him. It's like syncopes i jazz - it amuses the musician... .

Date: May 4, 2011 02:27

Stoneage
Hasn't he always been like this. He doesn't seem to mind a little off-tune playing here and there. It's as if that makes it a bit less boring for him. It's like syncopes i jazz - it amuses the musician... .

NO................

Not if you watch this video..........he seems to be a perfect..............

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:32

I thought this was another C. Leavell bashing thread. I'm dissapointed.

Date: May 4, 2011 02:42

Saw that great Movie, NICOS. Here's another explanation: He travels around by himself, uses hired musicians and don't carry much more than one guitar and a toothbrush and certainly no technicians.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 02:43

stones78

in that case, allow me to chip and bash CL just a little...

I see nothing very wrong with CB in this clip. Keith is somehow more embarrassing just trying to do the SFTD solo, or well, just about any other "solo." Or when he attempts to play guitar and sing. I also see a guy in this clip who isn't afraid to be upfront in the mix, isn't afraid to be heard, and isn't hiding behind his keyboard player. Actually, this isn't really a slam on Leavell afterall. It's a slam on those (cough...Keith Richards; Mick Jagger...) who allow Leavell to be the bandleader. CB, warts and all, is no doubt the f'in leader of this ensemble. I'll take honest trainwrecks like this over a glossed up wash of backing band filler/crap anyday. Wish the Stones would approach their live shows with this same lack of safety nets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-04 03:31 by rocker1.

Date: May 4, 2011 02:51

I wonder how many times he has played that song? 5 000 times? No wonder he goes bananas with it the 5 001 time! Or the 2 345 time... .

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 4, 2011 03:06

We all get old. Sad, I know.

Date: May 4, 2011 03:09

The Stones are the ones that made CB big for me

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 4, 2011 06:37

Really? One string out of tune on one song on one night is a reason to consider retirement? Maybe you need to stick to listening to strictly newly recorded autotuned music.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 06:42

Bomber
He created Rock Music. Period.

Michael J. Fox created Rock Music, it's historically shown in Back To The Future.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 4, 2011 06:51

Saying he should call it quits for one song from a Youtube source courtesy of someone's phone? Granted there are folks here who say the same about Keith immediately post-surgery and on anti-seizure medication. Do I expect 1955 vintage Berry? Of course not, but he's not charging $300 a ticket and you're seeing a Living Legend and a great showman. A privilege. I see nothing here to change my general assessment of the man.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 4, 2011 07:00

He's been out of tune for several years, and famous for it. If anyone can rock 'til they drop it's Chuck Berry. Still fit in his 80's. An inspiration for sure.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2011 07:23

NICOS
The Stones are the ones that made CB big for me

Watch Charlie on "Little Queenie"! Pure joy.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: May 4, 2011 07:32

the stones history with tuning is nothing to write home about. the stones in the park dvd is the classic example but there are others.

if you reckon Chuck needs to retire, what about BB King? saw him in Melbourne a few weeks ago, he played guitar for maybe 3 minutes in the whole show and even then hit a few bung notes. still enjoyed the show though

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 4, 2011 07:59

I would like to see him one more time

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 4, 2011 08:35

NICOS I feel the same way

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 4, 2011 09:39

It's not easy playing in a open P, try it yourself some time...

smoking smiley
Brother Ray

2 1 2 0

Date: May 4, 2011 10:14

rocker1
stones78

I see nothing very wrong with CB in this clip. Keith is somehow more embarrassing just trying to do the SFTD solo, or well, just about any other "solo." Or when he attempts to play guitar and sing. I also see a guy in this clip who isn't afraid to be upfront in the mix, isn't afraid to be heard, and isn't hiding behind his keyboard player. Actually, this isn't really a slam on Leavell afterall. It's a slam on those (cough...Keith Richards; Mick Jagger...) who allow Leavell to be the bandleader. CB, warts and all, is no doubt the f'in leader of this ensemble. I'll take honest trainwrecks like this over a glossed up wash of backing band filler/crap anyday. Wish the Stones would approach their live shows with this same lack of safety nets.

So you think Keith tries to "hide" behind his keyboard player?? If there is one guitar player who never hides, it's Keith Richards. Always way up in the mix, no matter how he plays.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 4, 2011 11:14

chenry9195
Bomber
He created Rock Music. Period.

Michael J. Fox created Rock Music, it's historically shown in Back To The Future.
Quite right!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 4, 2011 11:37

From what I see at the clip of CB(I) the audience is having a good time. Isn't that the
purpose of performing?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 4, 2011 12:54

Stoneage
Saw that great Movie, NICOS. Here's another explanation: He travels around by himself, uses hired musicians and don't carry much more than one guitar and a toothbrush and certainly no technicians.

Actually he has pretty much used regular musicians for over 20 years now. That movie was made 25 years ago...

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 00:35

DandelionPowderman
rocker1
stones78

So you think Keith tries to "hide" behind his keyboard player?? If there is one guitar player who never hides, it's Keith Richards. Always way up in the mix, no matter how he plays.

Hmmm....not sure I've really heard any of the Stones guitars "way up" in the mix in a long time. I think 1981 is the last time that's really happened. This is more a personal pet peave, and it's coming from the perspective of somebody who isn't satisfied with the guitar mix unless it's so loud that my ears bleed. (Slight exaggeration, but certainly never going to happen at a Stones show anymore...)

The Stones could get by without guitars whatsoever these days. The backwash of filler propels the songs without them. Guitars provide shaky decoration mostly. They are no longer essential instruments in this band. At least the way they choose to play them now, and they way they project them now. Chuck keeps the time anyway, so he's the rhythm machine anymore. Church bands play their gutairs louder in the mix than the Stones.

You're right, Keith doesn't really hide behind the keyboard player; he has just intentionally limited his role in the band to the point where, musically, he is no longer necessary. He's great for smiley gew-gawing and leg kicks, though.

But onstage, he may as well sit on stool, guitarless, smoke a dangling cig and clap his hands, a spotlight shining on him while the caption that simultaneously appears on the overhead video screen says "Here is proof that your lovable icon, Keith Richards, is still alive. Enjoy being in his presence one more time!"

That's really what we pay to see these days, isn't it? I don't think we even expect to be moved by his guitar contributions. If you are, I can't imagine how disappointed you've been in Stones shows these last couple decades. I guess every night he might hit one chord that sounds out in ringing open-G or whatever, and harkens back to the glory days...similar to how Chuck Berry can still manage a few recognizable bits of Johnny Be Goode.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:43

"Sorry Chuck, maybe you should call it quits?"

I instantly thought about Chuck Leavell thumbs down
not our beloved father of rock'n roll thumbs up

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 5, 2011 10:49

rocker1
Hmmm....not sure I've really heard any of the Stones guitars "way up" in the mix in a long time. I think 1981 is the last time that's really happened.

And 1982 (why does everyone forget that tour?).

Posted by: paragoensia ()
Date: May 5, 2011 12:28

So what, the man (or his guitar) has an off day!? Who cares.....

I would still go and see him, the man invented the music that makes my body move.
If i @#$%& up at work there aren't a few thousand people waching and filming.....

So give the man a break, I'm pretty sure my grand dad can't play that way, nor can I.

I say, give the man a studio, some great artists to work with......and a statue!

GO GO GO Mr. Berry!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 5, 2011 12:49

This performance of Johhny B Good reminds me of another great guitarist in 2007.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home