Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Demon Question for Guitarist
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 2, 2011 05:38

What is the effect on the third guitar on 'Demon'? It sounds like the same thing as Lyndsey Buckingham used on 'Dreams'. I've seen a band do cover that song live with that effect on the solo, but I didn't get to ask him what it was. Am I the only one who thinks 'Demon' is just a brilliant song?

[www.non-filters.com]

Re: Demon Question for Guitarist
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 2, 2011 05:47

Oh no. You are not he only one. I find it to be one of the best tunes Keith has ever done. Brilliant little lick that turned into a nice song. Beautiful. Elegant and thoughtful playing. And wonderfully simple.

Don't know what you're getting at though, the third guitar and effect or whatever. I'll have to listen to it just for that.

Date: May 2, 2011 05:52

It's got the two clean tone guitars all the way through, then the third comes in on the second chorus just playing three or four highly sustained notes. Kind of weird sounding but really paints the song nicely.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: May 2, 2011 14:19

Super song; absolutely stunning. smileys with beer
I don't play the guitar, so that's all I can say about it.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:09

Love this one too, Main Offender really grows in stature over the years. Keith should do another record with these musicians .. and soon smiling smiley

Date: May 5, 2011 04:56

I've been listening again. Is it a steel guitar played in a very different way? Help!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 06:10

Great song!

Date: May 5, 2011 15:59

It's got a fantastic mix. This a lot going on in it guitar wise. Acoustic, at least two other electric tracks other than the obvious live electric; there's what sounds like a pedal steel. Is it listed in the credits?

At 3:00 in, the bass plays...I guess what would be the fourth instead of the first. It kind of hangs there really low for a measure or two and then comes back to the one.

Date: May 5, 2011 16:05

B-Bender?

At 3:00 in: Is it a bass or a barytone guitar?

Date: May 5, 2011 16:09

Sounds like the bass to me playing a 'funny' note because it's the same guitar playing all the other bass in the song to my ears.

Date: May 6, 2011 06:45

Almost sounds like a backwards guitar, but too much in control. It's driving me crazy. I've been trying to search for guitar effects used in Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams", but theres nothing available on that either. I think that's the name of that song. "Players only love you when they're playing." It sounds like the same effect on that solo, but I might be wrong.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 6, 2011 09:02

nonfilter
Almost sounds like a backwards guitar, but too much in control. It's driving me crazy. I've been trying to search for guitar effects used in Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams", but theres nothing available on that either. I think that's the name of that song. "Players only love you when they're playing." It sounds like the same effect on that solo, but I might be wrong.

[www.non-filters.com]

I listened to this part carefully and I know how this guitar effect is produced. It's done by picking or plucking a note and bending it up, while simultaneously rolling the guitar's volume knob up causing the attack of the note to "swell." It works great on a Telecaster cause you can easily reach the volume knob with the little finger of you left hand while picking the note with the thumb and/or forefinger. If you do it just right you can get that backwards sounding effect. This trick was often used by Tele masters like Roy Buchanan and Arlen Roth, and Jeff Beck does it beautifully with string harmonics. I'm pretty sure this is what Lindsey Buckingham used on "Dreams" as well. You can also get a similar effect using a Sho-Bud volume pedal commonly used by country steel guitar players.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 23:41 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2011 15:36

TornAndFried
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

I listened to this part carefully and I think know how this guitar effect is produced. It's done by striking or plucking a fretted note while simultaneously rolling the guitar's volume knob up causing the attack of the note to "swell." It works great on a Telecaster cause you can easily reach the volume knob with the little finger of you left hand while picking the note with the thumb and/or forefinger. If you do it just right you can get that backwards sounding effect. This trick was often used by Tele masters like Roy Buchanan and Arlen Roth, and Jeff Beck does it beautifully with string harmonics. I'm pretty sure this is what Lindsey Buckingham used on "Dreams" as well. You can also get a similar effect using a Sho-Bud volume pedal commonly used by steel guitar players.

A fairly standard country technique - bending a note upward (usually holding another note still) while using one's pinky on the volume knob

[www.ehow.com]

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:30

Its a clean guitar with a volume pedal

Date: May 6, 2011 23:35

Ha. That makes sense. Getting ready to try it. Thanks guys.

[www.non-filters.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home