Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Album concerts
Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: May 1, 2011 00:16

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

[Excerpt: Even Mick Jagger, hardly one given to nostalgic pining, is coming around. “The idea to play Exile in its entirety struck me as interesting,” the singer told The Wall Street Journal. “Sort of like what if Beethoven had his Ninth Symphony, but didn’t bother to play it.” To mark the last year’s release an expanded Exile on Main Street, the Rolling Stones briefly considered a tour during which they’d play the entire album. It didn’t happen. Though Jagger found the idea intriguing, he wasn’t sure a vast audience would. “Some people might think it’s great,” he said. “Others would be bored to death.”]

Re: Album concerts
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 1, 2011 00:58

What a shame they didnt do it - Phish did it for them! Of course if they had done it, I doubt they would have the balls to do it without Chuck's wall of sound keyboards and 10 backing artists, which would have ruined the sound anyway.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: May 1, 2011 02:52

Marmalade

[Excerpt: Even Mick Jagger, hardly one given to nostalgic pining, is coming around. “The idea to play Exile in its entirety struck me as interesting,” the singer told The Wall Street Journal. “Sort of like what if Beethoven had his Ninth Symphony, but didn’t bother to play it.” To mark the last year’s release an expanded Exile on Main Street, the Rolling Stones briefly considered a tour during which they’d play the entire album. It didn’t happen. Though Jagger found the idea intriguing, he wasn’t sure a vast audience would. “Some people might think it’s great,” he said. “Others would be bored to death.”]

This is what I dislike about the Stones. Its been going on perhaps since the 70's; this broadwayshow type of approach to their concerts; they want to try to please the lowest common denominator; they play for the meat heads, the "greatest hits" crowd; I always wished they would be true to their music and themselves and play what they wanted to play, not what their vast audiences wanted . . . Urrrghh!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2011 04:57

Marmalade

'Briefly' is the key word here, I think its safe to say. As in 'for all of about 30 seconds'. 'Vast audience' are another couple of key words.

He mentioned this in an interview with UNCUT published early last year.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 1, 2011 05:00

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-01 05:07 by stones78.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 1, 2011 05:53

well if they had done it. It might have sounded something like this.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-01 05:55 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 1, 2011 15:57

Gazza
Marmalade

'Briefly' is the key word here, I think its safe to say. As in 'for all of about 30 seconds'. 'Vast audience' are another couple of key words.

He mentioned this in an interview with UNCUT published early last year.

He thought about it for as long as it took him to do the math. When he determined that 18 songs played in a row from an album that isn't one of their biggest sellers does not equal "vast audience", he stopped thinking about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-01 16:14 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home