Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Stones To Roll Until End Of Decade!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 28, 2011 17:53

stonescrow
deadegad
Father Time? Keith carries a blade to deal with Father Time. Yeah He's Bad-Asssss.

Intriguing idea that after touring they might focus on creating more discs together. If they really spent enough time together they could come with some good music.

It might seem unrealistic to think that suddenly something is going to change and they are going to get together and start recording as a group ever again, but I think once they finish up with this anniversary tour we are going to see exactly that. Even Mick and Keith will eventually be forced to see their own mortality, if they haven't already. Sometimes I get the impression that they actually believe they will stay forever young, and that is a good outlook to have, for it tends to keep you thinking and feeling young, however, at some point they are going to have to take a peek at the clock on the wall and realize that time is no longer on their side.

ok...and what on earth does any of that have to do with making their best music?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: April 28, 2011 20:20

StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad
Father Time? Keith carries a blade to deal with Father Time. Yeah He's Bad-Asssss.

Intriguing idea that after touring they might focus on creating more discs together. If they really spent enough time together they could come with some good music.

It might seem unrealistic to think that suddenly something is going to change and they are going to get together and start recording as a group ever again, but I think once they finish up with this anniversary tour we are going to see exactly that. Even Mick and Keith will eventually be forced to see their own mortality, if they haven't already. Sometimes I get the impression that they actually believe they will stay forever young, and that is a good outlook to have, for it tends to keep you thinking and feeling young, however, at some point they are going to have to take a peek at the clock on the wall and realize that time is no longer on their side.

ok...and what on earth does any of that have to do with making their best music?

The theory is that once they realize that they are no longer able to physically tour at the level they have been accustomed to in the past that they will then be inclined to spend more time in the studio resulting in more emphasis on song writing. Could be at this point they are still feeling "frisky" enough to take on another world tour, however, at some point the emphasis is going to shift, (if it hasn't already) from tours and live performances to song writing.

Date: April 28, 2011 20:34

deadegad
Some, myself included, have hoped that The Stone roll the dice and go with an unconventional producer like Jack White. A dirty sound. If there is a big 50th world tour I doubt they'll take the chance though. They, or Mick, will choose someone safe.

Perhaps after that they could focus on just recording. I would dig it if they did just that. If they just spent more time together creating music. If they just took chance and experimented with their sound some more. They might be told old for the lengthy tours but they could add still to their musical legacy. Perhaps tremendously so. They could surprise us.

Jack White, Rick Rubin come to mind.

Yes, they need to challenge themselves. If that means rolling the dice with a new producer, then so be it, although I think DW knows as well as any producer what works best for them. The key is getting Mick to buy into it. The release of the new/old Exile tracks was a huge step in the right direction as far as getting this band back to doing what it does best.

Date: April 28, 2011 20:44

stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad

The theory is that once they realize that they are no longer able to physically tour at the level they have been accustomed to in the past that they will then be inclined to spend more time in the studio resulting in more emphasis on song writing. Could be at this point they are still feeling "frisky" enough to take on another world tour, however, at some point the emphasis is going to shift, (if it hasn't already) from tours and live performances to song writing.

interesting theory. then it stands to reason by extension that when they've gone off and made albums over the past 3 decades (when most would argue they weren't making their best music) that they had no emphasis or focus on writing good songs, cos they were pre-occupied with thoughts of touring. what remarkable people they were in that 69-72 period when they wrote great songs AND toured. i guess that's really hard to do.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:08

What very few want to consider is they already accepted that mortality when they decided to stay off the road for the past four years, not play even one-off shows, and sign a contract with Universal that calls for finishing up bonus tracks for a few deluxe editions rather than making new studio albums.

An anniversary tour is a possibility as long as they are alive and relatively healthy, but the likelihood is that fans are grasping at straws in believing that one more tour is always just around the corner and any skeptic pointing to four years of near non-activiity are doom and gloom non-believers.

This isn't really PETER PAN where if enough of us believe something is true, it will come to pass. Yes, they can decide to tour and record tomorrow but thus far it's all been talk and Mick and Keith have not recorded together in the same room for six years and are currently working on projects of their own just as Charlie and Ronnie have moved on.

There is no announcement of a dissolution as they will still promote the next Deluxe Edition as a major release. The band survives more as a legacy promoting new product with interviews and walking the red carpet and not actually performing as one would expect musicians to do and still be considered an ongoing concern.

If that pessimistic assessment doesn't sound accurate, consider why they did not do so for EXILE where much of the new contract's budget was spent buying blocks of television to promote the release with the band gathering together and yet never performing even a single song. The same with the Stu memorial where it could have been seen as good will removed from egos and big business. Over the course of the last 15 years the band evolved into an act who performs nostalgia tours. The recording of new material was mainly an illusion of an active band to the point where today they no longer bother to perform and parts are overdubbed from separate continents and Keith is not even informed when Mick and Don Was decide to call in Mick Taylor for session work in finishing up 40 year old outtakes.

For me, the Stones are a thing of the past unless they make a decision to reunite. Their dissolution was gradual rather than sudden and is spread out over BRIDGES, LICKS, BANG, and the few tracks that followed. To paraphrase a favorite song, The Stones are just a memory and they used to mean so much to me.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:19

"...but maybe, just maybe, the best is yet to come? Sounds preposterous, doesn't it?..." Since you ask then yes. It does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-28 21:21 by ChrisM.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:21

the might keep rollin' - but they will keep on rolling downhill…

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:21

What have u been smoking?
Wake up and smell the coffee,it's over

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:38

It might be over indeed. Let us not forget, however, they love money? Indeed who does not? The temptation of a 50th Anniversary Tour milking the Last Time thing is irresistible despite the 'todger' comment. If able they will cash in one more time.

Likewise after cashing in on that Last Time thing they could focus on making music again, but Mick will probably work with others instead. I do think if they worked more closely together for longer periods of time they could still come up with some very good music especially if they work with more challenging producers.

Date: April 28, 2011 21:43

agreed. money opportunity and health are the keys to whether a new tour will emerge....but an album? there's no money there worth bothering about, so it would ONLY happen as an excuse to tour...which is hardly the stuff legendary albums are made of....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2011 21:45

The decade ended 31.12 last year. ;o)

Date: April 29, 2011 03:13

StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad

interesting theory. then it stands to reason by extension that when they've gone off and made albums over the past 3 decades (when most would argue they weren't making their best music) that they had no emphasis or focus on writing good songs, cos they were pre-occupied with thoughts of touring. what remarkable people they were in that 69-72 period when they wrote great songs AND toured. i guess that's really hard to do.

One of the major "knocks" on them by fans and critics for many years has been their lack of output in terms of new songs/albums. If they value their legacy at all then they should be concerned about changing the perception that they "dried up" artistically years ago. Personally, I think they have produced many great songs since 1972 despite the drop off in volume, however, I recognize that I am in the minority that share this opinion. The good news is that once their touring days are over and they drop the concept that an album is just a requirement (ABB is a perfect example of this) to prop up a tour then they will once again become the song writing force of old, only better, in my opinion.

Date: April 29, 2011 03:24

stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad

One of the major "knocks" on them by fans and critics for many years has been their lack of output in terms of new songs/albums. If they value their legacy at all then they should be concerned about changing the perception that they "dried up" artistically years ago. Personally, I think they have produced many great songs since 1972 despite the drop off in volume, however, I recognize that I am in the minority that share this opinion. The good news is that once their touring days are over and they drop the concept that an album is just a requirement (ABB is a perfect example of this) to prop up a tour then they will once again become the song writing force of old, only better, in my opinion.

ok. but songwriting is not just a talent and craft that you can turn on and off. it's called a muse, and all the great artists will tell you that you need to tap into it while its there - you can't just decide to reach for it when it's convenient.

Date: April 29, 2011 03:26

stargroover
What have u been smoking?
Wake up and smell the coffee,it's over

The same stuff Oddball was smoking in Kelly's Heroes!

Date: April 29, 2011 03:36

Rocky Dijon
What very few want to consider is they already accepted that mortality when they decided to stay off the road for the past four years, not play even one-off shows, and sign a contract with Universal that calls for finishing up bonus tracks for a few deluxe editions rather than making new studio albums.

An anniversary tour is a possibility as long as they are alive and relatively healthy, but the likelihood is that fans are grasping at straws in believing that one more tour is always just around the corner and any skeptic pointing to four years of near non-activiity are doom and gloom non-believers.

This isn't really PETER PAN where if enough of us believe something is true, it will come to pass. Yes, they can decide to tour and record tomorrow but thus far it's all been talk and Mick and Keith have not recorded together in the same room for six years and are currently working on projects of their own just as Charlie and Ronnie have moved on.

There is no announcement of a dissolution as they will still promote the next Deluxe Edition as a major release. The band survives more as a legacy promoting new product with interviews and walking the red carpet and not actually performing as one would expect musicians to do and still be considered an ongoing concern.

If that pessimistic assessment doesn't sound accurate, consider why they did not do so for EXILE where much of the new contract's budget was spent buying blocks of television to promote the release with the band gathering together and yet never performing even a single song. The same with the Stu memorial where it could have been seen as good will removed from egos and big business. Over the course of the last 15 years the band evolved into an act who performs nostalgia tours. The recording of new material was mainly an illusion of an active band to the point where today they no longer bother to perform and parts are overdubbed from separate continents and Keith is not even informed when Mick and Don Was decide to call in Mick Taylor for session work in finishing up 40 year old outtakes.

For me, the Stones are a thing of the past unless they make a decision to reunite. Their dissolution was gradual rather than sudden and is spread out over BRIDGES, LICKS, BANG, and the few tracks that followed. To paraphrase a favorite song, The Stones are just a memory and they used to mean so much to me.

Prepare for a Miracle!

Date: April 29, 2011 03:41

Juniorjackflash
stonescrow
Time to start spending more time looking forward rather than looking back. Yes, the Stones have a glorious past, but maybe, just maybe, the best is yet to come? Sounds preposterous, doesn't it, but we are talking about the Rolling Stones, are we not? Have these guys not (time after time) spit in the face of Father Time? Year after year, decade after decade, there is one constant, the Rolling Stones, they just keep rollin, against all odds!

I am just so damn excited about the next eight to ten years and what it is going to bring forth once the Stones realize that their destiny is the studio and not the stage. Sure, we will have that 2012 anniversary tour, (and you can take that to the bank) but it is aftermath of that final tour that I am really excited for, when (in their old age) they come together (in studio) to get down to recording some serious blues!

Yes, the Stones are gonna keep rollin (health permitting, of course) for at least another eight years and yes, (with a little luck) the best is yet to come, just you wait and see!

You must be off your head

The last time someone told me that was before the final round of the '86 Masters. Bet you can guess who I predicted would win!

Date: April 29, 2011 03:43

ab
Steel Wheelchairs indeed.

Well, Keith did vow to go till he drops.

Date: April 29, 2011 03:47

Rolling Hansie
stonescrow
the Stones are gonna keep rollin

I like that

It does have a ring to it, a gold one that is.
smoking smiley

Date: April 29, 2011 03:48

bluesinc.
the best is yet to come...
frank sinatras tombstone has this written on it
...and i´m still waiting

Maybe I should have said, "do you believe in magic"?

Date: April 29, 2011 03:55

mickschix
Sadly, I think their best writing ( as Jagger/Richards) is behind them because they no longer write the same way; they don't lock themselves away for days at a time to come up with new material....they just don't love that process anymore, they write separately and paste the material together. I think that they also write a song completely alone...either a Mick tune or a Keith tune and just allow the credits to run as Jagger/Richards.
As far as a tour for 2012....I remain skeptical but hopeful. We have to just say that what will be will be and be thankful regardless of what occurs...we've had a magnificant run, unrivaled by any other band on the planet.

This I agree with. They need to get back into the same room together, not just Mick and Keith, but all of them.

Date: April 29, 2011 03:58

ChrisM
"...but maybe, just maybe, the best is yet to come? Sounds preposterous, doesn't it?..." Since you ask then yes. It does.

Yes, and that is what is going to make it so sweet!

Date: April 29, 2011 04:00

slewan
the might keep rollin' - but they will keep on rolling downhill…

Ya need a quick crash course in positive thinking from non other than Oddball!

Date: April 29, 2011 04:10

StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad

ok. but songwriting is not just a talent and craft that you can turn on and off. it's called a muse, and all the great artists will tell you that you need to tap into it while its there - you can't just decide to reach for it when it's convenient.

True, but that is where a good producer comes in. Honestly, I don't think it's going to be that complicated from here on in, they just need to get back to doing what they do best.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:44

O, Lord.....Hi, thewatchman....

Maybe they WILL write, but it seems like they're writing solo stuff. Sorry for the negative waves, mate. Gold rings on ya, tho.

Date: April 29, 2011 05:07

stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deadegad

True, but that is where a good producer comes in. Honestly, I don't think it's going to be that complicated from here on in, they just need to get back to doing what they do best.

untrue. a producer can't force a muse that ain't there.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 05:34

stonescrow
Yes, the Stones are gonna keep rollin (health permitting, of course) for at least another eight years and yes, (with a little luck) the best is yet to come, just you wait and see!

Another eight years? Of what? Maybe 1 new album and 1 tour (which at the moment seems very unlikely) if we're lucky and that's it.
And they could go the "rootsy" way on some next album, but by now, they sound awfully generic when playing blues and rock and roll so it's rather pointless. And a producer won't make much of a difference, even if they revived Jimmy Miller circa 1968, their songwriting level is far, far from what it used to be.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2011 08:22

To make compelling music - or any other kind of art for that matter - you need to feel it and to want it. You need to have something to say. No Jack White or Don Was for that matter is going to extract something that simply isn't there. Any "producer" that signs on to work with the Stones essentially becomes an employee of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

These are guys who basically have lost the reason to make music together. They don't have any urgency about it, or they would be burning to play. They would simply do it, like Neil Young does, or Elvis Costello, or many others. If the Stones themselves don't have any urgency, why should we?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2011 08:30

Rocky Dijon

Wise words...I will only add a couple of things: It's not so bad that they are a thing of the past. It's fine, actually. Why do we need another excuse for a new studio album that contains a few paint-by-numbers open G rockers, a couple of Keith vocals, and the usual overwrought Jagger ballads? If they had a fierce urgency to play, and say, booked a week at a club and played a set of blues or challenged themselves in some way, believe me, I would join the chorus of those who are excited about the future. But that is simply very unlikely to happen, and I am perfectly ok with no more Rolling Stones albums or tours. An artist continues to challenge himself (or themselves). It has nothing to do with money or fame. It's something they need to do. The Stones, as a group, simply don't need to do it anymore.

Date: April 29, 2011 18:32

Stoneage
Hope is the last to die. Never give up on hope, Stonescrow![/quo
pip pip said the hope then it died

Date: April 29, 2011 20:29

riverrat
O, Lord.....Hi, thewatchman....

Maybe they WILL write, but it seems like they're writing solo stuff. Sorry for the negative waves, mate. Gold rings on ya, tho.

How dare you unmask Zorro and leave the great State of California defenseless!

Love your posts, mate, Gold Rings, back at ya!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home