Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Stones To Roll Until End Of Decade!
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 1, 2011 15:03

One can criticize this or that, some even start to deconstruct Stones history in other threads by talking negative about the Brian Jones years, the Mick Taylor years,previously sacred shows like Hampton and so on, but in the end the one thing that fuels all this downplaying of the Stones is the inner feeling that they are done as a band - as a creative force and an exciting live unit.

Well, who's to blame? For me, it was a painful process to admit to myself that the last album that genuinely excited me was Tattoo You. After that, I always wanted to believe that every new music they released was a thrill like in the old times. But that was ratio against my inner belief. Steel Wheels the album and tour was a good sign and promising start of their "reunion", but it never really took off from there. The band slowly degraded into an oldies act and creating new music becoming an increasingly lesser concern.

Tattoo You is 30 years ago now. Let's face it, at this stage it needs not just one miracle for the Stones to return to their past glory and excitement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-01 15:05 by alimente.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 1, 2011 19:21

So...the end of the/this decade is 2020, since the second decade of the Twentyhundreds started January 1st this year.

So, if they don't tour in '012 you think they'll tour in '020?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 1, 2011 20:18

Rolling Hansie
I loved Saint of Me when it was played live

Absolutely!
thumbs up

Date: May 1, 2011 20:56

skipstone
So...the end of the/this decade is 2020, since the second decade of the Twentyhundreds started January 1st this year.

My wishes are that after next years 50th anniversary tour that they spend the rest of their days in the studio banging out one great album after another until they can no longer make it to the studio. How about one final club show in London on July 12, 2022 on their 60th anniversary? Keith and Mick would be 77, and Charlie would be 80 on that date. I think that would be a good date to retire, although I suppose Mick would continue his solo career until well past 80.

Date: May 1, 2011 20:58

stonescrow
skipstone

My wishes are that after next years 50th anniversary tour that they spend the rest of their days in the studio banging out one great album after another until they can no longer make it to the studio. How about one final club show in London on July 12, 2022 on their 60th anniversary? Keith and Mick would be 77, and Charlie would be 80 on that date. I think that would be a good date to retire, although I suppose Mick would continue his solo career until well past 80.

Correction: Mick and Keith will be 78 and Charlie 81 on July 12, 2012.

Date: May 1, 2011 21:00

stonescrow
stonescrow
skipstone

Correction: Mick and Keith will be 78 and Charlie 81 on July 12, 2012.

Correction: July 12, 2022

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 1, 2011 21:06

stonescrow
they spend the rest of their days in the studio banging out one great album after another until they can no longer make it to the studio.

why wouldn't they be able to make it the studio? too dead?

Date: May 1, 2011 21:13

alimente
One can criticize this or that, some even start to deconstruct Stones history in other threads by talking negative about the Brian Jones years, the Mick Taylor years,previously sacred shows like Hampton and so on, but in the end the one thing that fuels all this downplaying of the Stones is the inner feeling that they are done as a band - as a creative force and an exciting live unit.

Well, who's to blame? For me, it was a painful process to admit to myself that the last album that genuinely excited me was Tattoo You. After that, I always wanted to believe that every new music they released was a thrill like in the old times. But that was ratio against my inner belief. Steel Wheels the album and tour was a good sign and promising start of their "reunion", but it never really took off from there. The band slowly degraded into an oldies act and creating new music becoming an increasingly lesser concern.

Tattoo You is 30 years ago now. Let's face it, at this stage it needs not just one miracle for the Stones to return to their past glory and excitement.

Some of their greatest songs ever (Control, Saint, and Thief) came off Bridges. I love Don't Stop, and Laugh I Nearly Died was the one shining star on ABB. The ten new/old Exile tracks were fantastic. It's just a matter of getting back to doing what works. The next album is going to be a return to greatness. The key now more than ever is for all or most of them to stay relatively healthy enough to do a small sale anniversary tour next year for their 50th then stay healthy enough to get to the studio afterwards to bang out those last few great albums that are buried deep in their souls and just waiting to come out before their narrow window of opportunity closes once and for all.

Date: May 1, 2011 21:27

stonescrow
alimente

Some of their greatest songs ever (Control, Saint, and Thief) came off Bridges. I love Don't Stop, and Laugh I Nearly Died was the one shining star on ABB. The ten new/old Exile tracks were fantastic. It's just a matter of getting back to doing what works. The next album is going to be a return to greatness. The key now more than ever is for all or most of them to stay relatively healthy enough to do a small sale anniversary tour next year for their 50th then stay healthy enough to get to the studio afterwards to bang out those last few great albums that are buried deep in their souls and just waiting to come out before their narrow window of opportunity closes once and for all.

you really think that a "band" (and i use the term very liberally here) that has produced all of ONE album (and a stinker of an album by most accounts) in the last 13 years and whose key members are nearly 70 years old has a FEW great albums left in them? really? i love the sentiment, but can't really believe any right-minded fan thinks that's even a remote possibility.

Date: May 1, 2011 21:40

StonesTod
stonescrow
alimente

you really think that a "band" (and i use the term very liberally here) that has produced all of ONE album (and a stinker of an album by most accounts) in the last 13 years and whose key members are nearly 70 years old has a FEW great albums left in them? really? i love the sentiment, but can't really believe any right-minded fan thinks that's even a remote possibility.

Forget about the past and what they didn't do, but rather to the future and what they are going to do.

Date: May 1, 2011 21:48

stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
alimente

Forget about the past and what they didn't do, but rather to the future and what they are going to do.

the greatest predictor of the future IS the past.

Date: May 1, 2011 21:53

StonesTod
stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
alimente

the greatest predictor of the future IS the past.

Sometimes, but not this time.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 1, 2011 22:41

Agree with most of what Stonescrow says here. The return to greatness part is not guaranteed however. If they are healthy and have a good producer, spend some time together perhaps, we could get a real gem, maybe even gems if they post a 50th tour, return to he studio and become a recording band kind of like the Beatles post Candlestick Park 1966(?).

They have created some fine songs these past twenty years if not an actual classic album. I like ABB and still think if a 20 something year old band had creates ABB the critics would have been fawning over them.

Date: May 1, 2011 23:06

deadegad
I like ABB and still think if a 20 something year old band had creates ABB the critics would have been fawning over them.

i think the critics were pretty kind regarding ABB (way too kind, imo). and i don't think critics give a damn how old a band is...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 1, 2011 23:11

deadegad
Agree with most of what Stonescrow says here. The return to greatness part is not guaranteed however. If they are healthy and have a good producer, spend some time together perhaps, we could get a real gem, maybe even gems if they post a 50th tour, return to he studio and become a recording band kind of like the Beatles post Candlestick Park 1966(?).

They have created some fine songs these past twenty years if not an actual classic album. I like ABB and still think if a 20 something year old band had creates ABB the critics would have been fawning over them.

Thing is, they obviously don't want to "spend some time together". The recording of Watching The River Flow was a great opportunity to record with the whole band (including Bill!) more or less live in the studio, like in the old days, but they chose to record their parts in different locations, even different continents when it comes to Mick and Keith. Not a good sign.

But who knows? In case the muse kisses them one last time, it is still possible that they spend some time together for songwriting and recording with the whole band.

I have my doubts, though. There is this feeling that everything has been said, everything has been done. There is nothing left to add to their legacy that they haven't done before. I can't see that they would want to repeat their formula ad nauseum - endlessly, like bands like Status Quo. It would not suit them.

If there is still some unfinished business, it's definitely in their vaults. There's probably not that much money in it - compared to their mega tours. But it is a nice way to go out gracefully. They can treat it almost like a hobby. Not that much money in it, but on the other hand not much effort too. Just for the fun of it. For them - and for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-01 23:14 by alimente.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 1, 2011 23:55

from an old(2003) Jagger's interview
Mick told a Slovak newspaper that rock music was still a way of life for him and that he had no intention of quitting. "I will compose, sing and play as long as I can. I hope even in my seventies.
"People have been writing for 30 years now that we are old and exhausted. But there is no other band that would be playing for four decades. We may no longer be the rebels we used to be, but people change and simply stop doing some things."
Asked about whether he should still be performing the role of "rock legend", he said: "You may want to suggest that I am an old man who should be sitting at home in his slippers and watching stupid TV soap operas. No one will see that.
"I said a long time ago that we were a symbol of eternity. Millions of our fans have convinced us of that. We survived numerous music waves in which the thinking and lifestyle of young people was reflected".

So maybe it's not all over now?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 2, 2011 00:40

stonescrow
alimente

What will stop the Rolling Stones is Keith. He drinks too much, he takes far too many drugs, and more than anything else he smokes contionuously. He is not Superman. He wll soon develop serious health problems which will undo the Stones. I hope this does not happen but it will in due time.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2011 00:50

proudmary
from an old(2003) Jagger's interview
Mick told a Slovak newspaper that rock music was still a way of life for him and that he had no intention of quitting. "I will compose, sing and play as long as I can. I hope even in my seventies.
"People have been writing for 30 years now that we are old and exhausted. But there is no other band that would be playing for four decades. We may no longer be the rebels we used to be, but people change and simply stop doing some things."
Asked about whether he should still be performing the role of "rock legend", he said: "You may want to suggest that I am an old man who should be sitting at home in his slippers and watching stupid TV soap operas. No one will see that.
"I said a long time ago that we were a symbol of eternity. Millions of our fans have convinced us of that. We survived numerous music waves in which the thinking and lifestyle of young people was reflected".

So maybe it's not all over now?

That quote might have some validity if it wasnt for the fact that it's eight years old and he's barely released a note of new music for six years now and has performed a combined total of about three or four songs in public in the last four years. Maybe the 'as long as I can' point he's referring to has largely passed.

Plus, later in 2003 in an interview in either Mojor or Uncut both he and Keith even alluded to not making ANY new Rolling Stones albums again, even if the band continued for some considerable time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 2, 2011 05:50

stonescrow
skipstone

How about one final club show in London on July 12, 2022 on their 60th anniversary?

Sorry, no, that does not qualify for this thread - it says, without saying it directily, THIS decade. That would be the next decade, which, according to the original poster, is not going to happen.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home