Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rare photos from 1969 Muscle Shoals sessions
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 10, 2014 02:34

click link to article w/photos--> “The Rolling Stones: Exclusive Photographs taken during the recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Gotta Move” –by Clifford Davids

A contributor to my Facebook Page posted this. I am at work now and can't focus on this but
tonight will come back and add the photos for those who cannot see the original post for
any reason.

-swiss

“The Rolling Stones: Exclusive Photographs taken during the recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Gotta Move” –by Clifford Davids

December of 1969 was a fitting end to a turbulent decade in American history: the Black Panthers were under attack in L.A.; The Jackson 5 had their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show; John Lennon was offered the lead role in Jesus Christ Superstar; Vince Lombardi coached his last Green Bay Packers football game; Arlo Guthrie released Alice’s Restaurant; and on Sunday, December 6th, more then 300,000 overly indulgent fans attended the Rolling Stones free concert at the Altamont Speedway. Four people died that tragic day, and many more were injured. Some claimed it was the death knell for the “Age of Aquarius”–a knockout blow to the myth of rock and roll innocence.

But for the Rolling Stones, the days leading up to Altamont had been anything but terminal; instead, they were fueled by a growing creative surge that would peak almost seventeen months later with the release of Sticky Fingers, their iconic album that would leave its indelible mark on rock music for decades to come. For three days, from December 2nd-4th, 1969, they labored inside that building with the distinctive stone facade at 3614 Jackson Highway in Sheffield, Alabama, home of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio and their house band known as “The Swampers.”

The three classic songs that the Stones recorded there, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Gotta Move, created the solid foundation upon which that album was built–a musical testament that further cemented their hard earned reputation as one of the most dynamic band of brothers in the history rock and roll. Some critics called it their masterpiece.

In the recently released documentary “Muscle Shoals,” Keith Richards reflects on that historic session in December of 1969 with his typical wry humor and wit, and a bit of nostalgia. After some humorous banter about the quantity of drugs and alcohol that were consumed during those three heady days, he talks about what might have been:

I thought it was one of the easiest and rockingest sessions that we’d ever done. I don’t think we’ve been quite so prolific…ever (laughs). I mean we cut three or four tracks in two days, and that for the Stones is going on something! We left on a high with “Brown Sugar.” We knew we had one of the best things we’d ever done.

I always wanted to go back there and cut more, you know. Then shit happened, so we ended up in France in a basement there doing Exile on Main Street. Otherwise, Exile would have probably been cut in Muscle Shoals–but politically it wasn’t possible—I wasn’t allowed in the country at the time. So, that was that (laughs).

Those sessions were as vital to me as any I’ve ever done. I mean, all the other stuff—Beggars Banquet and all the other stuff we did: “Gimme Shelter,” “Street Fighting Man,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” you know? But I’ve always wondered…that if we had cut them at Muscle Shoals, if they might not have been a little bit…funkier?

–Keith Richards

Six of the photographs found below are on loan from the private collection of Jimmy Johnson, co-founder of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio and the versatile guitarist for the Swampers. He was also the engineer behind the console during that legendary session, and the person credited with capturing that choice piece of rock and roll history.

These photos offer a private, almost intimate glimpse of those few days: Ahmet Ertegun, sitting silently behind the console, patiently waiting to sign the group to Atlantic Records; Mick Jagger, nailing the percussion on Brown Sugar; Keith Richards, watching Mick Taylor work out a part on his Telecaster; drummer Charlie Watts, taking a quiet break in the action–all of these exclusive photographs are presented here for the very first time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 16:03 by bv.

Re: “The Rolling Stones: Exclusive Photographs taken during the recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Gotta Move” –by Clifford Davids
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 10, 2014 03:17

Friggin' awesome swiss! Thanks for the link. All I can say is "more please". peace

Re: “The Rolling Stones: Exclusive Photographs taken during the recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Gotta Move” –by Clifford Davids
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 10, 2014 04:41

Thanks swiss! The first and last ones look a bit familiar, I feel like I've seen them...maybe from a video source? Keith, especially in the first pic, that pissed off look. Wasn't there some video of them recording where Keith gets angry about the noise of the cameras? I could very well be wrong...

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: September 10, 2014 05:33

"(L-R) Bill Wyman, Jimmy Johnson, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, unknown crew member, Ahmet Ertegun (president of Atlantic Records), and Terry Woodford at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield, Alabama."

First picture. It's that guy! Anita's friend from the other thread.cool smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 10, 2014 05:34

Nice - thanks!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 10, 2014 05:43

Awesome, but it begs the question. Which track has Mick Taylor on congas?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 10, 2014 13:38

great photos , esp. like the one of Ahmet Ertegun

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2014 13:49

Cool photos. Bet there must be others.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:09

71Tele

We need to find it - irrefutable proof that Mathijs is wrong and Taylor can play rhythm

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:17

Stoneburst
71Tele

We need to find it - irrefutable proof that Mathijs is wrong and Taylor can play rhythm

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:28

SharksWillCry
"(L-R) Bill Wyman, Jimmy Johnson, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, unknown crew member, Ahmet Ertegun (president of Atlantic Records), and Terry Woodford at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield, Alabama."

Thats exactly what I thought!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:37

Stoneburst
71Tele

Or possibly this photo shows that, although MT apparently attempted to record on a rhythm instrument, the results were unuseable and, ultimately it will do more to prove Mathijs' position than refute it.

More likely would be the case that it really doesn't matter either way.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 10, 2014 19:56

latebloomer
Thanks swiss! The first and last ones look a bit familiar, I feel like I've seen them...maybe from a video source? Keith, especially in the first pic, that pissed off look. Wasn't there some video of them recording where Keith gets angry about the noise of the cameras? I could very well be wrong...

That's in the Gimme Shelter movie I think. I thought the same thing when I saw that picture.

Re: Rare photos from 1969 Muscle Shoals sessions
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:27

Wow! great photos! It all seem so real...real people recording real music in a real studio

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:46

Don't get me wrong any shots from this recording session are a god send. However,
The last three are the clear winners - my guess is these were shot by a professional. The first bunch by someone who happened to have a kodak camera
In his pocket. The last two in particular are outstanding!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:32

Marker to recognize Rolling Stones' 1969 visit
FLORENCE — The Shoals is getting a new state historic marker commemorating its world-reknowned music industry.

The marker will be placed at the site of the former Holiday Inn on South Court Street, where the Rolling Stones stayed during their December 1969 recording session at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios in Sheffield. State tourism director Lee Sentell made the announcement during today’s Florence-Lauderdale Tourism Board meeting.

The English rock band’s stay was documented in the movie “Gimme Shelter.” Over the course of three days, the Stones recorded three songs, the No. 1 “Brown Sugar,” Top 30 hit “Wild Horses,” and the blues standard “You Got To Move.”

A week ago, a state historic marker was unveiled at the site of the former Norala Recording Studio in Sheffield, where Leighton native Percy Sledge recorded “When A Man Loves A Woman” in 1966, the first No. 1 record to come from the Muscle Shoals music industry.

Sentell said the marker commemorating the Rolling Stones visit will be unveiled during an upcoming First Friday in downtown Florence. The site is now occupied by the Hampton Inn.

[m.timesdaily.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:09

The Holiday Inn site from Gimme Shelter: [www.google.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:52

2000 LYFH
The Holiday Inn site from Gimme Shelter: [www.google.com]

"Is my local groupie in? Hello, darling, how are you?"

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 10, 2014 18:16

Have seen them but thanks anyway for posting these great photos, and here is a link " Studio Recording Sessions" don't know if its been posted already: [www.prosoundweb.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 10, 2014 19:09

Koen
latebloomer

That's in the Gimme Shelter movie I think. I thought the same thing when I saw that picture.

Not the noise.The camera-guy stood in front of the speaker.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: October 28, 2014 23:46

cooheid
SharksWillCry

Thats exactly what I thought!!

That is NOT the same guy.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 28, 2014 23:49

Can someone point me to a good resource on the non Muscle Shoals sessions for Sticky Fingers? Where was Can't You Hear Me Knocking recorded? Whats the story on that track?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home