Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jumpin Jack Flash - Which Riff?
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2011 13:16

The studio version - B to A

or

The (eventual) live version - B to D?

And when and why did Keith change it?

I can't decide which is best, he seems to bend the D chord on the live version which is cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-24 13:17 by GravityBoy.

Re: Jumpin Jack Flash - Which Riff?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 24, 2011 13:35

The first time they played it in public using the D chord instead of A was at the 1969 Hyde Park free concert.

The 1969 - present day live way is more bluesy, but I prefer the original studio and Rock and Roll Circus versions where they go to A.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 24, 2011 14:00

If you hear the Horsens gig from 2006 I think Keith makes a mistake and turns the riff around.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: April 24, 2011 19:31

Ah nice! Guitar talk! I like the B to A version like the one in R'n'R Circus. I agree that the B to D version is more bluesy, but the B to A is closer to the original, a guitar riddle for me anyway. But what does Taylor play (1969 for example)? I mean along Keith's rhythm. I thing he goes B to A, same as Bill.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 24, 2011 19:48

I've always heard a little bit of it in the opening of Chuck Berry's Talkin Bout You. (Chuck's, not the Stones).

Date: April 24, 2011 20:43

Kirk
But what does Taylor play (1969 for example)? I mean along Keith's rhythm. I thing he goes B to A, same as Bill.

I don't know, but I know what Brian Jones played in one of the videos miming to alternative studio B to A version,

He played standard tuning B to A.

Bar B chord at the 7th.
E note (open on 6th sting)
F# note (with thumb 6th string)
A chord open position.

That's the way I play it because I hate detuning my guitar (sorry Keith)

I play Brown Sugar in standard tuning as well.

I can do JJF B to D in standard as well but I can't push the D chord so it doesn't sound so good.

Date: April 24, 2011 20:56

GravityBoy
Kirk
But what does Taylor play (1969 for example)? I mean along Keith's rhythm. I thing he goes B to A, same as Bill.

I don't know, but I know what Brian Jones played in one of the videos miming to alternative studio B to A version,

He played standard tuning B to A.

Bar B chord at the 7th.
E note (open on 6th sting)
F# note (with thumb 6th string)
A chord open position.

That's the way I play it because I hate detuning my guitar (sorry Keith)

I play Brown Sugar in standard tuning as well.

I can do JJF B to D in standard as well but I can't push the D chord so it doesn't sound so good.

Brian plays something similar at R&R Circus too, he barres the B chord at 2nd fret though. Problem is what he's shown playing is inaudible on the alternative studio version nor is he really audible on R&R Circus version. Oddly it looks as is he's using an open tuning at 1968 NME POll winners concert.

Regarding Keith playing it using Open G, I don't think he hits the low root note of the D chord, only playing the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings which is easily achieved on standard tuned guitar. Maybe he does, but I haven't listened to 1969 and onward versions for ages to know for sure though.

Date: April 24, 2011 21:03

His Majesty
Regarding Keith playing it using Open G, I don't think he hits the low root note of the D chord, only playing the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings which is easily achieved on standard tuned guitar.

That's the way I do it in standard.

Bar B chord at 7th and the D is 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings also at the 7th.

Doesn't have that bluesy bendy slur thing though.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2011 19:57

I like the standard tuning version the way GravityBoy described. That's how I play it too. The open G version is far more aggressive. 5 strings, capo 4th fret, and 2Xcapoed B chord, 4th string(D string) at 7th fret and 5th string(G tuned string) at 9th fret, to capoed B chord, to D chord 7th fret bar.All this hitting mainly 4th and 5th strings.

Date: April 25, 2011 19:59

The standard tuned 'bluesy' version mentioned above sounds so pub band, infact it's probably how most pub bands play it. Yuk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home