Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Dirty Work": a couple of guitar-related questions.
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 22, 2011 22:06

A couple of quick questions to the people in the know out there.

1. I've always read that Jimmy Page played on "One Hit". So which part? The solo (my guess), or the acoustic part? I've also heard his part was wiped. Does anyone know for sure?

2. The guitars on the title track. I have always heard and believed it is Keith and Ron live in studio, weaving together. But after close listen, it sounds to me more like Keith, playing a Tele, weaving with himself. The way the licks compliment each other seem just a little too perfect, though the solo is obviously Ronnie. So does anyone know if the guitars in the left and right channels are both of them, or does somebody believe what I suspect that they're both KR?

And yes, I got so bored at work today I listened to the Dirty Work albmu all the way through (probably the first time in 10 years or more to do so).

Re: "Dirty Work": a couple of guitar-related questions.
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:08

theimposter

1. I've always read that Jimmy Page played on "One Hit". So which part? The solo (my guess), or the acoustic part? I've also heard his part was wiped. Does anyone know for sure?

2. The guitars on the title track. I have always heard and believed it is Keith and Ron live in studio, weaving together. But after close listen, it sounds to me more like Keith, playing a Tele, weaving with himself. The way the licks compliment each other seem just a little too perfect, though the solo is obviously Ronnie. So does anyone know if the guitars in the left and right channels are both of them, or does somebody believe what I suspect that they're both KR?

And yes, I got so bored at work today I listened to the Dirty Work albmu all the way through (probably the first time in 10 years or more to do so).

1. Page does the solo.
2. Wood and Richards, but not live. Wood is responding to Richards, most likely several overdubs.

Mathijs

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:22

My questions - guitar and otherwise - about DW boil down to this: Why does it suck so much?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:37

71Tele
Why does it suck so much?

Especially knowing that with the outtakes available they could have come up with a truly brilliant album. Tracks like Strictly Memphis are phenomenal.

Mathijs

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 23, 2011 01:08

71Tele
My questions - guitar and otherwise - about DW boil down to this: Why does it suck so much?

Date: April 23, 2011 02:21

Mathijs
71Tele

Especially knowing that with the outtakes available they could have come up with a truly brilliant album. Tracks like Strictly Memphis are phenomenal.

Mathijs

Well, as I have facetiously said here before, DW may be the only album in history where the Deluxe reissue does not include the original album.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:10

I may be the lone dissenter but I liked DW. To me, it''s better than the whitewashed messes that followed it. At least they are playing with some passion...hatred. Fight!?! Awesome guitar work. One Hit. Great Stuff.

I agree it could have been better with some of the outtakes. should have put Deep Love on it

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:11

71Tele
Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

Well, as I have facetiously said here before, DW may be the only album in history where the Deluxe reissue does not include the original album.

That's hilarious.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:17

No, it's not... it's just non-sense. There's lots of enjoyable stuff on Dirty Work.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:25

DW is verry bad - Fight and Hold Back are just pathetic songs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:47

Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

A lot of the best outtakes though feature Keith singing and Mick is nowhere to be seen. Plus one of the outtakes is a 15-minute soul ballad.

Columbia had just given them about $30 million a couple of years earlier and this was the first band album they'd delivered as part of their record breaking contract.

Bad enough that they werent helping the record's sales by not touring with it, but you can imagine the label's reaction had they been handed a Rolling Stones album where Mick Jagger only sang on about half of the songs.

The outtakes are mostly far better - and the mix is better on them too - but I can understand why some of them were omitted from the finished album. 'Baby You're Too Much' is a wonderfully soulful song, I think.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:42

slew

Come on, there's still Winning Ugly! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 07:12

treaclefingers
slew

I remember reading an interview at the time where Keith said that he considered Winning Ugly to be an extended version of Tumbling Dice. I can't say that I've ever heard much of a resemblance. I think he was referring to the main guitar lick, but hey, it's been 26 years since I've read this interview so the memory could be fuzzy on the details...

Date: April 23, 2011 08:58

rocker1
treaclefingers
slew

I remember reading an interview at the time where Keith said that he considered Winning Ugly to be an extended version of Tumbling Dice. I can't say that I've ever heard much of a resemblance. I think he was referring to the main guitar lick, but hey, it's been 26 years since I've read this interview so the memory could be fuzzy on the details...

I think I'd prefer an actual extended version of Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 23, 2011 11:22

Mathijs
theimposter

1. Page does the solo.
Mathijs

Is the electric guitar riff on One Hit played by Ronnie? I tend to assume so, as it's in the left channel, yet the playing has some Keith-like characteristics.

Date: April 23, 2011 11:43

Ronnie plays acoustic only. Keith plays the riff + one or two other electic guitars. Page plays the solo + the coda.

Date: April 23, 2011 12:09

Thanks. I recognise the Page bits, but had trouble with the riff for some reason.

Date: April 23, 2011 19:07

Thanks for the info Mathijs.

I dislike most of the songs on this album, as well as most of the production. But over the ears, it's dawned on me that this record has IMO a really great guitar sound. Keith and Ronnie are so upfront, loud, and dirty sounding here. I don't think any Stones album after this featured the guitars as such a force. Too bad they had to sound so good on songs that sounded so bad.

Date: April 23, 2011 19:23

How do we know about the guitars on "Dirty Work" the song? And the others?
I am not asking this in disbelief, just wanted to read about the guitars on that album too.

Date: April 23, 2011 19:54

Great album, except for the songs, the production, the vocals, the album cover, and the overall vibe.

Date: April 23, 2011 20:01

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. It has something to do with royal weddings. Harlem Shuffle was played a lot when Prince Andrew and the Princess Fergiana announced their plans to marry. I was listening to Radio One throughout that day, and it basically went.... royal wedding... Stones... royal wedding... Stones...

Date: April 23, 2011 21:40

Haha, okay I think I get it 71Tele. I think you're making a subtle hint that you don't care for the album very much. Personally I think it's terrible too. BUT, I really do like the guitar sound - very tough and gritty, much better than either album that came before or would come after this. And I think "Sleep Tonight" is the one redeeming moment as far as songwriting goes.

But yeah, overall it's like the unwanted stepchild of the Stones discography.

Date: April 23, 2011 22:58

theimposter
Haha, okay I think I get it 71Tele. I think you're making a subtle hint that you don't care for the album very much. Personally I think it's terrible too. BUT, I really do like the guitar sound - very tough and gritty, much better than either album that came before or would come after this. And I think "Sleep Tonight" is the one redeeming moment as far as songwriting goes.

But yeah, overall it's like the unwanted stepchild of the Stones discography.

Yes, some good guitar sounds, but when what you have become accustomed to receiving from the band is great songs, guitar sounds on their own don't suffice - and I'm a guitar player who certainly appreciates the Stones' guitar sounds.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 24, 2011 01:34

Gazza
Columbia had just given them about $30 million a couple of years earlier and this was the first band album they'd delivered as part of their record breaking contract.

Columbia must have been horrified, although not enough to not release it - it is The Stones afterall, with both what's on the record as well as what's covering the record, the worst LP cover in the history of rock. The LP cover still makes me wince but the music on the record, well, that makes me cringe. What a way to start off a large record deal. Morons.

Date: April 24, 2011 03:32

skipstone
Gazza

Columbia must have been horrified, although not enough to not release it - it is The Stones afterall, with both what's on the record as well as what's covering the record, the worst LP cover in the history of rock. The LP cover still makes me wince but the music on the record, well, that makes me cringe. What a way to start off a large record deal. Morons.

Yes, Columbia must have been thrilled. First the Stones deliver a terrible album, then they basically break up.

Date: April 24, 2011 03:44

skipstone
Gazza

Well, a Stones album in the 80s was always going to sell. They'd signed them in mid-83 and the three albums theyd done before that had all been absolutely massive (ER had been a number 1 album even without a tour, and Some Girls and Tattoo You were their biggest selling studio albums ever - and still are).

It would still have sold well enough by most artist's standards, but not enough to justify the money Yetnikoff had thrown at them.

However, he had of course factored Jagger's solo work into the deal and was probably banking on him being a massive solo success as well. Shes The Boss was the first release under the Columbia deal, and Dirty Work the second. Both of them underachievers sales wise, and neither of them promoted by a tour. Yetnikoff must have been bricking it. At least they had the back catalogue to fall back on.

Date: April 24, 2011 03:46

71Tele
Great album, except for the songs, the production, the vocals, the album cover, and the overall vibe.

Dont forget the drum sound. Ugh.

Date: April 24, 2011 03:49

Gazza
71Tele

Dont forget the drum sound. Ugh.

Didn't Keith brag about the drum sound st the time? Or is that every album since DW?

Date: April 24, 2011 04:21

Probably!

Anyway, lots of good quotes here.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

I love this one :

When we were mixing in New York, Steve Lillywhite changed the speed in one song, sped it up a little bit, and it was hardly anything. Keith walked in and he just went ballistic. He goes "Nobody, f**king nobody, f**ks with the Rolling Stones! That tempo was cut at that speed and it stays at that speed!"

- Dave Jerden, engineer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-24 04:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 24, 2011 04:39

to be fair the reason the album is sub par is because mick n keith were at war and holding back songs and really didnt care at that point , plus charlie was in terrible shape and hated the producer, how on earth can anything good come from that?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home