Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Keith Finally Back At Work
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 22, 2011 15:15

While I might prefer this as well, I don't think Keith would be writing songs with Steve Jordan if the intent was for them to become Jagger-Richards songs. A one-off like "Almost Hear You Sigh" was fine, but doing so for multiple songs doesn't sound likely. It would also seem unlikely that this is for The Verbs. The article notes that Keith was booked in Studio 1 as the client so this probably isn't session work. Some day maybe we'll get to hear what he's done with Rob Fraboni and with Jack White as well. The guy has a ton of stuff locked away that only adds to the impression that his creative well has run dry. Let's hope this activity proves otherwise.

Posted by: Gazza ()

MRambler
Gazza
MRambler
Message from Keith

He looks good

How can you tell? He's sitting in a dark room, wearing a big hat and shades!!

Well, because he always looks greatsmiling smiley
Also imo he looks much more fresh than he did in that backstage video few weeks ago.

What most fans are unaware of when watching that video is that the voice you hear is actually Blondie Chaplin's. He's in the shadows, just out of the camera shot and is saying the words while Keith mimes them.

Posted by: detroitken ()

Gazza...What happened to his in home studio ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 22, 2011 15:18

Dunno, Ken. Patti just said that he got it taken out of the house when she took ill. He basically put everything else on hold.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 22, 2011 15:59

GREAT post Rocky Dijon and very true about the aborted projects

oh Shit look what's in the studio ! some work has to be done with all that stuff
[germanostudios.com]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 22, 2011 16:10

Good for Keith, I'll be back at work on tuesday.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 22, 2011 16:40

Phil Good
71Tele
Glad he's active. Hope he's well, but I have absolutely zero interest in a Winos project.

+ 100%

Why not? the vocals? the songwriting?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 22, 2011 18:20

TooTough
I´m not interested in any Winos´s stuff anymore.
That thing is dead since 1993. And that´s OK.

deader than Jagger's solo efforts. but i have faith Keef can raise the corpse

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 22, 2011 22:55

andy js
TooTough
I´m not interested in any Winos´s stuff anymore.
That thing is dead since 1993. And that´s OK.

deader than Jagger's solo efforts. but i have faith Keef can raise the corpse

If anybody can do it he can. He could drop dead and I'd still have faith that some good music would come out.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:19

yeah????????????
doubt it very much
keith has been asleeep many years!!
jeroen

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:35

duke richardson
Phil Good
71Tele
Glad he's active. Hope he's well, but I have absolutely zero interest in a Winos project.

+ 100%

Why not? the vocals? the songwriting?

Never bothered by his singing. Yes, the songs were weak. Heavy riffs without much content. Most sound unfinished. I was fairly disappointed with Keith's solo career, and I think a lot of it had to do with dpending on these guys. Just my opinion.

Date: April 22, 2011 23:59

Agreed much of it sounds unfinished but the same is true of "Little T & A" on TATTOO YOU. That's really the sound he was chasing. Mick's remark that Keith's solo albums sound like when Keith brings him a song and Mick reworks the lyrics and sometimes the melody. Listening to the VOODOO LOUNGE outtakes also bears this out.

I guess it's a question of whether your love of Keith's playing makes all the difference or not. For me, it does. I love both Winos albums and I love the raw unfinished quality of the studio recording of "Little T & A." I get that same feel out of the versions of "You Win Again" and "Still a Fool" that Keith cut 10 years ago with Blondie Chaplin and George Recile. Whether or not he still has it in him is another matter, but I'm happy he's trying and if he delivers TALK IS CHEAP VOLUME 3, I'll probably rate it higher than A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:05

I just need to say I want something new... A Keith new album, a Stones new album, a Keith tour or a Stones tour... I need some nice entertainment. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:06

a Stones new album.........

ROCKMAN

Date: April 23, 2011 00:09

a Rockman funny post.......

Date: April 23, 2011 00:23

NO dead serious Rocky.....

With all the other two-bit crap floatin' around I need it ta survive...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:29

Rockman
NO dead serious Rocky.....

With all the other two-bit crap floatin' around I need it ta survive...

i'll have you know that some of my floatin' crap was valued at 3 bits today....

Date: April 23, 2011 00:34

I know what you're saying, but I guess I've been a doubting Thomas about a new Stones album before 2014 (which means if ever) because the current contract seems to be back catalog with new recordings (as opposed to 1 or 2 new albums) so I never expected it.

If Mick is still working Super Heavy with Dave Stewart, it's been a project that's been kicking around for a few years. Allegedly that's what he's doing (which would ring true with Stewart's remark that people speculating on a Mick solo album know nothing) and the rumor the release is timed for the 2012 Olympics means it was always intended as a long-term project.

Both of those points considered, a Keith album later this year would be welcome news to me and long overdue if the Stones aren't working. If Keith has another album in him, then I could believe another Stones album is possible but it would be another record contract entirely and another selling point (likely last album and tour even if not announced as such). I really think all we're getting Stones-wise will be SOME GIRLS DELUXE, GOATS HEAD SOUP DELUXE, and some sort of package with Don Was-era outtakes or newly finished tracks.

A Jack White-produced album or any kind of genuine follow-up to A BIGGER BANG has to be after all that is out of the way. Just my way of looking at it. I'm always happy to be wrong where Stones activity is concerned.

Date: April 23, 2011 00:40

my floatin' crap was valued at 3 bits today....

3 bits!!! ....geeeeeez well done toddy... good price ....
That's about what they paid on the Mobro back in '87.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2011 10:35

Thanks Rocky Dijon for sharing your knowledge.

I've been highly skeptical about Keith's muse or his means to accomplish his ideas for some years, but that is based just on guessing. But let's set the skepticism aside for a moment. If there is not any Stones activities going on (that seems to be the case) , it is a perfect time for another Keith Richards solo album. He gathered a lot of attention from his autobiography, there is another pirate movie soon out. A decent, well advertised solo album by the Keef character might sell alright.

If I may hope something for its content, I'd like Keith to forget the formulaic heavy riffed Wino rockers but instead throw all those ballads out of his system. Piano, acoustic guitar, a heavy vocal interpretation, stuff like that. Put the the 'old' Keith who decided to mature up, on the table.

- Doxa

Date: April 23, 2011 10:52

Rocky Dijon
Every so often someone is kind enough to pass along information on Keith being back in the studio but in the end it usually turns out to just be Keith doing a quick overdub or backing vocal for someone else's album (Lee "Scratch" Perry, Marianne Faithfull, Sheryl Crow, and most recently Tom Waits). The recent news that Keith and Ronnie were in the studio with Chuck Leavell turned out to be for Chuck's next album. So it was that I greeted the news posted here about Keith moving 100 pieces of gear with X-Pensive Winos lettering with skepticism.

Keith hasn't exactly appeared productive outside of the Stones. There were sessions with the Winos after the VOODOO LOUNGE tour but like Mick's abandoned sessions at the same time, the tracks were cannibalized to make BRIDGES TO BABYLON and most of Keith's downtime was spent working on Wingless Angels or on his sister-in-law's gospel album. There were hopeful signs of Keith's logging studio time with Rob Fraboni, Blondie Chaplin, and George Recile in 2000 and 2001 but at the end of the day all we have to show for it are covers of "You Win Again" and "Still a Fool." Great stuff to be sure, but where's the album with a reworked version of the BRIDGES outtake "High or Low" featuring Sheryl Crow on vocals?

Since late 2008 Keith has been talking about cutting a few tracks with the Winos. He's appeared on Steve Jordan's radio show and discussed finishing outtakes from the two Winos albums. Keith's stock answer at press junkets is that the Stones or the Winos are always on the verge of touring or recording. It creates a small buzz and gives the press something to chew on to let him get on with trying to be a regular person or what passes for it when you're Keith Richards.

So all considered I figured the news about techs inventorying Winos gear at a New York office space had absolutely nothing to do with actual work. Keith may have performed with Steve Jordan, Waddy Wachtel, Ivan Neville, and Patti Smyth behind closed doors for Johnny Depp's work in progress documentary, HAPPY, but with no further mention of the project during the promotion for LIFE I presumed it was dead in the water.

Now comes the news I've been waiting for. StonesDoug at Shidoobee just posted an article that Studio 1 at Germano Studios has been occupied of late by Keith Richards who is writing and recording new material with producer Steve Jordan. Yeah, it's about @#$%& time and yeah, we don't know if it will be a full length album or bonus tracks to help sell Mindless Records' remasters of the three earlier WINOS CD's, but it sure is great to know that Keith is back and we finally have more music to look forward to.

Let's not forget the fantastic work he did on Peter Wolf's album in 2002. So did Mick, btw.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 23, 2011 11:13

Doxa
ballads out of his system. Piano, acoustic guitar, a heavy vocal interpretation, stuff like that.

Oh yes. That would be something. I just love Keith's ballads.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: April 23, 2011 11:15

Nothing wrong with This Place Is Empty on my book. Still enjoy listening to it.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 23, 2011 11:20

I would have prefered to read a post " Keith Finally Back At Work With The Stones"....

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 23, 2011 12:38

Doxa
Thanks Rocky Dijon for sharing your knowledge.

I've been highly skeptical about Keith's muse or his means to accomplish his ideas for some years, but that is based just on guessing. But let's set the skepticism aside for a moment. If there is not any Stones activities going on (that seems to be the case) , it is a perfect time for another Keith Richards solo album. He gathered a lot of attention from his autobiography, there is another pirate movie soon out. A decent, well advertised solo album by the Keef character might sell alright.

- Doxa

I see the situation a little differently.I think you are wrong about the cause and effect. Last summer and fall there were all signs that the Stones are going to do something together - it could be understood from the interviews of all four of them.
Then, after the book and most importantly the promotional campaign, Stones activity stopped - for all the obvious reasons. And now instead of having to rectify the situation, Richards going to record a solo album.
I do not argue, he can quite successfully be able to sell the album - on a wave of interest in the collapse of the Stones.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 23, 2011 13:15

i think he indeed is recording demos for the new stones album. unlikely he will do a solo album.
all we have to do is a word from the Mighty Jagger.
jeroen

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: April 23, 2011 14:26

I`m just glad to read this news. I suffer so much without anything new, that am ready to embrace whatever - Keith`s solo album, Winos album, Stones album...)))) (As a matter of fact, I dont think Keith can make something definitely bad - for my taste - as I like his singing, and writing, and playing...So I just wait.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 14:27 by kater-v.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 22:52

Keith's first choice bar none is a new Stones album. They are waiting on Mick.

Date: April 24, 2011 00:36

A friend speculated that the songs Keith is writing and recording with Steve Jordan might just be a few new songs for the Johnny Depp documentary. Maybe we'll get a soundtrack album out of it. We know Keith and the Winos and Patti Smyth performed together in LA in January 2010 for the project. Maybe they're finishing up some outtakes as they discussed on Steve's radio show a couple years ago. This might just be a stop gap project like Mick finishing Super Heavy with Dave Stewart. Wait and see. Either way, it's good to hear Keith is writing and recording again.

Date: April 24, 2011 00:38

Keith's first choice bar none is a new Stones album....... Thanks Teddy

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home