Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Keith Finally Back At Work
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 21, 2011 21:42

Every so often someone is kind enough to pass along information on Keith being back in the studio but in the end it usually turns out to just be Keith doing a quick overdub or backing vocal for someone else's album (Lee "Scratch" Perry, Marianne Faithfull, Sheryl Crow, and most recently Tom Waits). The recent news that Keith and Ronnie were in the studio with Chuck Leavell turned out to be for Chuck's next album. So it was that I greeted the news posted here about Keith moving 100 pieces of gear with X-Pensive Winos lettering with skepticism.

Keith hasn't exactly appeared productive outside of the Stones. There were sessions with the Winos after the VOODOO LOUNGE tour but like Mick's abandoned sessions at the same time, the tracks were cannibalized to make BRIDGES TO BABYLON and most of Keith's downtime was spent working on Wingless Angels or on his sister-in-law's gospel album. There were hopeful signs of Keith's logging studio time with Rob Fraboni, Blondie Chaplin, and George Recile in 2000 and 2001 but at the end of the day all we have to show for it are covers of "You Win Again" and "Still a Fool." Great stuff to be sure, but where's the album with a reworked version of the BRIDGES outtake "High or Low" featuring Sheryl Crow on vocals?

Since late 2008 Keith has been talking about cutting a few tracks with the Winos. He's appeared on Steve Jordan's radio show and discussed finishing outtakes from the two Winos albums. Keith's stock answer at press junkets is that the Stones or the Winos are always on the verge of touring or recording. It creates a small buzz and gives the press something to chew on to let him get on with trying to be a regular person or what passes for it when you're Keith Richards.

So all considered I figured the news about techs inventorying Winos gear at a New York office space had absolutely nothing to do with actual work. Keith may have performed with Steve Jordan, Waddy Wachtel, Ivan Neville, and Patti Smyth behind closed doors for Johnny Depp's work in progress documentary, HAPPY, but with no further mention of the project during the promotion for LIFE I presumed it was dead in the water.

Now comes the news I've been waiting for. StonesDoug at Shidoobee just posted an article that Studio 1 at Germano Studios has been occupied of late by Keith Richards who is writing and recording new material with producer Steve Jordan. Yeah, it's about @#$%& time and yeah, we don't know if it will be a full length album or bonus tracks to help sell Mindless Records' remasters of the three earlier WINOS CD's, but it sure is great to know that Keith is back and we finally have more music to look forward to.

Re: Keith Finally Back At Work
Posted by: R ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:05

Wonderful, if true. On the other hand, Keith seems to only jump into the solo waters when he knows working with the Stones isn't going to be happening any time soon.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:06

oh but that's good news, thanks for info

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:09

Doesn't sound like him and Mick are going to be working together anytime soon.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:14

I don't know why I can't get to shidoobee from work... Thank goodness all the Stones I really need is here at IORR! After reading Rocky's post, I did a quick google search and found this link for what may be the same or at least a similar article.

Found it interesting that Steve Jordan was said to be cutting tracks with and producing Kelly Clarkson as well as working with Keith.

Thanks for the post Rocky! Got me looking for and finding what may turn out to be good news!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:18

If this is true I'm very happy to know Keef is making music.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:26

sweetcharmedlife

Yes, it does not leave much hope for the future for the Stones. but everybody are so happy ... why?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:26

These are great news. Thanks. I hope it's for the Stones which may well be possible since Mick's work with Dave Stewart is not for a solo project. Maybe the two Glimmer Twins have taken their producer of choice to the studio for coming up with new demos that they can then turn into Stones songs when they get together again?

Besides, I have read a recent interview with Steve Jordan in which he commented on the 3rd album by his band The Verbs which is currently a work in progress. He said that Keith has recorded some guitar part(s) for it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:28

Glad he's active. Hope he's well, but I have absolutely zero interest in a Winos project.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:39

Fantastic news!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:41

sweetcharmedlife

He could be demoing songs for the next Stones album for all we know.

After all, he doesnt have his own basement studio anymore.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:51

Good news. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:03

anxious to know details.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:29

Message from Keith

He looks good

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:40

It looks like everything is being funnelled into 2012 for the Stones. They're letting the kettle boil and demand grow. Got to wrap up their side projects before Mick and Keith have to finally get face to face for a couple weeks and write before calling in the rest. I'm prepared for this to be the final go-round. I'm also prepared for the studio album to not be that good, especially if they don't change their approach from the last 3. Here's hoping they transform on stage and we get a proper goodbye. I'm not expecting Taylor or Wyman, so if there is any involvement it will be a pleasant surprise. So....Some Girls reissue this Summer or Fall.............sometime around Christmas rumors of the boys hooking up....a Spring announcement of a tour.......and finally, what?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:48

24FPS
It looks like everything is being funnelled into 2012 for the Stones. They're letting the kettle boil and demand grow. Got to wrap up their side projects before Mick and Keith have to finally get face to face for a couple weeks and write before calling in the rest. I'm prepared for this to be the final go-round. I'm also prepared for the studio album to not be that good, especially if they don't change their approach from the last 3. Here's hoping they transform on stage and we get a proper goodbye. I'm not expecting Taylor or Wyman, so if there is any involvement it will be a pleasant surprise. So....Some Girls reissue this Summer or Fall.............sometime around Christmas rumors of the boys hooking up....a Spring announcement of a tour.......and finally, what?

you got all of that out of this little blurb? i need to read it again, i think....

Date: April 21, 2011 23:51

No tour dates yet?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:53

Gazza
No tour dates yet?

It's a done deal.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:58

Damn I hope this is true
Trying to recapture the excitement of throwing on 'Talk Is Cheap' for the first time ever is impossible. This just might do it.

REQUEST:
Keep Sheryl Crow the hell away from it

Date: April 22, 2011 00:00

MRambler
Message from Keith

He looks good

How can you tell? He's sitting in a dark room, wearing a big hat and shades!!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:22

i thought keith sounded a little flat in that message. some auto-tune will fix that.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:24

Gazza
MRambler
Message from Keith

He looks good

He's above ground.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:53

Gazza
MRambler
Message from Keith

He looks good

Well, because he always looks greatsmiling smiley
Also imo he looks much more fresh than he did in that backstage video few weeks ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2011 05:13

StonesTod
24FPS

you got all of that out of this little blurb? i need to read it again, i think....

Not really. It just seems like there's such a predictable routine to how it all plays out. I don't even remember how they announced the last tour. What's left? Submarine?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 07:59

sweetcharmedlife
yeah I think the same
They are working for sure but each of them on his own side.
what does it mean ? did they quarrel once again ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2011 08:06

I look forward to hearing You Don't Move Me Pt.II

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 09:09

Thanks,Rocky. Are you the percussionist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-22 09:10 by donnarq1.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 22, 2011 10:27

71Tele
Glad he's active. Hope he's well, but I have absolutely zero interest in a Winos project.

+ 100%

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:24

I´m not interested in any Winos´s stuff anymore.
That thing is dead since 1993. And that´s OK.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:55

jpasc95
They are working for sure but each of them on his own side.
what does it mean ? did they quarrel once again ?

Well, they did that for "Bridges To Babylon", too, and it turned out to be a fine album that has been a grower. Their approach on "A Bigger Bang" was somewhat different but it did not deliver as expected. So I'd call taking one step back a good thing as that step taken did not work so nicely.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home