Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What artist would have sold out Wembley most evenings in a row 1969?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 21, 2011 12:08

Yes, I said 1969 so whom was on absolute top? I think this must be between:

The Rolling Stones being the greatest rock-act on earth 1969
Elvis Presley back to business after spending years in Hollywood
Bob Dylan that suddenly left the scene being at top 1966
The Beatles no need to comment.

What do you think? I vote for The Beatles in this case.

2 1 2 0

Re: What artist would have sold out Wembley most evenings in a row 1969?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2011 12:11

Billy Graham......

ROCKMAN

Date: April 21, 2011 12:14

Beatles 1
Stones 0
Elvis 0
Dylan 0
Billy Graham 1

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-21 12:17 by Come On.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 21, 2011 13:06

In 1969? Probably the Archies.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 21, 2011 13:08

stones and beatles without question would have sold it out, not even am issue

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: April 21, 2011 13:58

Next question: Which artists would you have prefered to see at Wembley in 1969 if you could jump into the time machine?
1. Stones (why not a spring gig with Brian?)
2. Blind Faith
3. Grateful Dead

(Not the Beatles - too loosy live)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 21, 2011 14:18

Rockman
Billy Graham......

Spot on Rockman. And I think he did just that - either there or Earl's Court. London's Evening Standard newspaper covered the event - I remember asking my parents if Billy Graham was a good singer.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 21, 2011 14:26

Given the state of stadium sound systems in those days, I don't think I'd want to hear any of them at Wembley!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 21, 2011 14:40

The cast of The Sound Of Music.

Possibly Dylan, Hendrix, The Who.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 21, 2011 15:05

There would have been no limit to the number of tickets the Beatles could have sold in 1969. The same would have been true in 1976, or, even, 1995.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-21 15:13 by tatters.

Date: April 21, 2011 15:45

Yeah I would have been there 40 concerts in a row if The Beatles were performing 1969 (remember the rooftop-concert)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 21, 2011 15:57

Paul Mauriat

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 22, 2011 18:54

Elvis never performed outside of the US in his life apart from 3 shows in Canada in 1957.

Without question he'd have been a bigger draw for a show like this than any of them.

Even The Beatles.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 19:15

Gazza
Elvis never performed outside of the US in his life apart from 3 shows in Canada in 1957.

I never realized that! It's pretty surprising. Must have been more Col. Parker crap.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 22, 2011 19:18

KeefintheNight82

I never realized that! It's pretty surprising. Must have been more Col. Parker crap.

Colonel Tom Parker was an illegal and thus, couldn’t risk leaving the United States.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: April 22, 2011 19:25

Only The Beatles

Date: April 22, 2011 19:33

Big Al
KeefintheNight82

Colonel Tom Parker was an illegal and thus, couldn’t risk leaving the United States.

Didn't know that either. So Elvis couldn't tour without Parker there to climb up his ass and count ticket stubs?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 22, 2011 21:01

surely the Beatles
most likely Bob Dylan, too (in 69 they even arranged that festival in his neighborhood to get him out on stage to performed! And then there was that comeback tour in 1974 - according to Dylan's biographer Paul Williams five million (!) people ordered pre-paid tickets for that tour!)

anyway not being on tour for two or three years was quite unusual in those days

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2011 21:17

Gazza

Without question he'd have been a bigger draw for a show like this than any of them.

Even The Beatles.

Damn right
And in 1969 it would have been a helluva show!

Date: April 22, 2011 21:19

KeefintheNight82
Big Al
KeefintheNight82

Didn't know that either. So Elvis couldn't tour without Parker there to climb up his ass and count ticket stubs?

Dumb comment.

Anyway, no he couldnt as he was contracted to having him as his manager/promoter. Goes without saying.

Elvis never knew that Parker was an illegal alien. Parker didnt even leave the US when Elvis went to Germany for 18 months to do his national service. He sabotaged every offer made by an overseas promoter for an international tour - presumably as it would necessitate him having to leave the country and be exposed. Not to mention the risk of Presley being approached by rival promoters who would have filled him in on what a disadvantageous (and potentially illegal) business arrangement Parker had committed him to. And some of those offers were financially mind boggling at the time.

The fact that Elvis was so hugely popular worldwide despite the fact that he didnt tour at all between 1957 and 1970 and never toured outside the US makes you wonder just how massive a world tour from him would have been.

Date: April 22, 2011 21:22

slewan
surely the Beatles
most likely Bob Dylan, too (in 69 they even arranged that festival in his neighborhood to get him out on stage to performed! And then there was that comeback tour in 1974 - according to Dylan's biographer Paul Williams five million (!) people ordered pre-paid tickets for that tour!)

anyway not being on tour for two or three years was quite unusual in those days

Dylan a concert draw to rival the Beatles and Elvis? Not in a million years.

He DID perform to 200,000 at the Isle of Wight festival in '69 though, but that was a free gig.

Dylan's 74 tour was his first for 8 years. The Beatles, by '69, hadnt toured in three years but Elvis hadnt toured in 12 and had never played in Europe. No contest.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 22, 2011 21:24

How did Elvis's record sales in Europe compare to his sales in the US, anyone know?

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 22, 2011 22:17

Gazza
KeefintheNight82
Big Al
KeefintheNight82

Dumb comment.

Anyway, no he couldnt as he was contracted to having him as his manager/promoter. Goes without saying.

Elvis never knew that Parker was an illegal alien. Parker didnt even leave the US when Elvis went to Germany for 18 months to do his national service. He sabotaged every offer made by an overseas promoter for an international tour - presumably as it would necessitate him having to leave the country and be exposed. Not to mention the risk of Presley being approached by rival promoters who would have filled him in on what a disadvantageous (and potentially illegal) business arrangement Parker had committed him to. And some of those offers were financially mind boggling at the time.

Ah, so is that why Elvis made all those films? So he could reach a global audience without setting foot outside the States?

Date: April 22, 2011 22:32

I think that was part of Parker's logic - yes.

He also saw it as a way of making a lot of money twice over - ie, get paid for a movie and then get paid a lot all over again for royalties on a soundtrack.

Presumably he also saw his client's future as an actor/all round entertainer as in the late 50's that would have been a more reliable way of having a long career than being a rock n roll singer.

Parker never 'got' or cared for rock n roll at all, and couldnt give a damn about the artistic argument and what Hollywood was doing to his client's career and reputation. He was only interested in making large sums of money. He even wanted the '68 tv special to entirely consist of Elvis singing Christmas songs - one of the first and only times where Presley finally put his foot down and said 'enough'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-22 22:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:03

Those Beatles "were lousy live" comments are often repeated and get to me. Is there anyone on this board who ever saw a lousy live Beatles performance? Is the rooftop performance or the live TV performances or Lennon in NYC anything short of compelling? Anyone have a problem with McCartney live? Has anyone heard the Harrison shows from Japan backed by EC's band? Would anyone not smile to see Ringo do one of those goofy "Ringo songs" with the other three? The '64 D.C. performance is wonderful. I have no idea why people say those things.

If The Beatles performed in the '80-'90's the interest would have enormous. But with John and George in the band I doubt if the show would have merely been a re-creation of the younger days. They were much better artists than that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:03

Rockman
Billy Graham......

Funny!

Stones were suppposed to play New Orleans in March '06.
That gig got blown away by Katrina a few months prior, and was replaced on that day in March by Billy Graham.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:08

MKjan
How did Elvis's record sales in Europe compare to his sales in the US, anyone know?

Most Weeks On UK Singles Chart

Elvis Presley's 111 hits have spent a total of 1,149 weeks in the UK singles chart since "Heartbreak Hotel" debuted on May 11, 1956. In the weeks following his death on August 16, 1977, his record sales predictably rocketed. Sales of the tragically fitting "Way Down" went way up - propelling Presley once more to the number one spot.

Most Consecutive Weeks On UK Singles Chart

Elvis Presley is the artist with the most consecutive weeks in the UK chart. His 13 hit singles, from "A Mess Of Blues", in 1960, to "One More Broken Heart For Sale", in 1963, spent an unbroken 144 weeks in the chart.

Most Hit Albums On UK Chart

As of February 2001, Elvis Presley had 100 hit albums in the UK chart. This is just one of the 15 records held by The King - others include "Most No.1 Singles In The UK Chart", "Most No.1 Hit Singles By A Solo Artist", and "Most Fan Clubs".

It is estimated that 40% of Elvis' total record sales have been outside the United States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-22 23:09 by Munichhilton.

Date: April 22, 2011 23:15

MKjan

Favourably enough, I guess.

He also had more chart success in the UK in the final part of his career than he had in the US. He had more number 1 singles in the UK than any other act, more number 1 singles in the UK than the US (20 - 17) and had ten number 1 albums in both countries.

Date: April 22, 2011 23:20

bjornone
Next question: Which artists would you have prefered to see at Wembley in 1969 if you could jump into the time machine?
1. Stones (why not a spring gig with Brian?)
2. Blind Faith
3. Grateful Dead

(Not the Beatles - too loosy live)

Balls. Based on what? The fact that no one could hear them?

A band that played several hundred gigs before they ever got a record contract is most likely to have been a pretty tight live act in it's day. Unfortunately, when youre playing large venues with shitty amps and in front of 30,000 people every night who only want to scream, you're not exactly going to develop as a performer.

Date: April 22, 2011 23:33

Gazza
KeefintheNight82
Big Al
KeefintheNight82

Dumb comment.

The fact that Elvis was so hugely popular worldwide despite the fact that he didnt tour at all between 1957 and 1970 and never toured outside the US makes you wonder just how massive a world tour from him would have been.

You are the pedantic one, aren't you?

Why was my joke a dumb comment?

Even casual Elvis fans know that Parker was a money grubbing bastard and I merely posted a gag that reflected this.

So, does Michael Cohl go to every Stones show and travel with them because he is the promoter?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home