Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What artist would have sold out Wembley most evenings in a row 1969?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:37

No pedantry there, chum.

Anyway - re: Cohl - yes he pretty much did, as far as I know.

Parker was Elvis' manager though, so yeah, he'd was involved in the day to day running of each tour, as far as I can recall. Usually he'd travel to shows in advance of his artist though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-22 23:39 by Gazza.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2011 23:44

Rockman
Billy Graham......

That is so right.My sister went to a Billy Graham gig in the late '60's in London and it so impressed her..............not because of BG,but the huge audience that were there for a preacher man.Also.............I don't recall The Pope, (any Pope)having a gig at Wembley.I'm sure it would have been a sell out for a Prince type run of 21 days..................or even more.As long as ticketmaster kept their commission,admin ,shipping charges to a reasonable level.spinning smiley sticking its tongue outwinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-22 23:53 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:14

Munichhilton
MKjan
How did Elvis's record sales in Europe compare to his sales in the US, anyone know?

Most Weeks On UK Singles Chart

Elvis Presley's 111 hits have spent a total of 1,149 weeks in the UK singles chart since "Heartbreak Hotel" debuted on May 11, 1956. In the weeks following his death on August 16, 1977, his record sales predictably rocketed. Sales of the tragically fitting "Way Down" went way up - propelling Presley once more to the number one spot.

Most Consecutive Weeks On UK Singles Chart

Elvis Presley is the artist with the most consecutive weeks in the UK chart. His 13 hit singles, from "A Mess Of Blues", in 1960, to "One More Broken Heart For Sale", in 1963, spent an unbroken 144 weeks in the chart.

Most Hit Albums On UK Chart

As of February 2001, Elvis Presley had 100 hit albums in the UK chart. This is just one of the 15 records held by The King - others include "Most No.1 Singles In The UK Chart", "Most No.1 Hit Singles By A Solo Artist", and "Most Fan Clubs".

It is estimated that 40% of Elvis' total record sales have been outside the United States.

Thank you Munichhilton

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 23, 2011 00:15

Gazza
MKjan
How did Elvis's record sales in Europe compare to his sales in the US, anyone know?

Favourably enough, I guess.

He also had more chart success in the UK in the final part of his career than he had in the US. He had more number 1 singles in the UK than any other act, more number 1 singles in the UK than the US (20 - 17) and had ten number 1 albums in both countries.

thanks Gazza

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 23, 2011 01:32

Gazza
Elvis never performed outside of the US in his life apart from 3 shows in Canada in 1957.

Without question he'd have been a bigger draw for a show like this than any of them.

Even The Beatles.

I don't agree. If the Beatles had done an open-ended residency in London in 1969 they could have sold out as many shows as they wanted to play. They could have sold out an engagement lasting for months, YEARS, even. They would have continued to sell out until every last American who wanted to see them had gotten on a plane and gone and seen them. LARGE numbers of Americans, I'm talking a couple million people, would have flown to London to see the Beatles. That would not have been the case for an Elvis residency in London.

Date: April 23, 2011 01:57

For an artist that a generation of fans worldwide had never seen perform?

I beg to differ.

Fans didnt travel across oceans to go to concerts in the 60s. And going to multiple concerts wasnt a common thing then either. You went to see an artist when they played in your town. For many, it was a one off kind of thing, I'd say.

The Beatles' final US tour in 1966 even had several shows which came nowhere close to being sell outs. The demand for them on their '65 US tour was significantly higher.

Wembley Stadium held 72,000 for concerts. An artist selling THAT venue out for weeks in 1969 in an era where there were no video screens and crap PA systems? Not a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 01:58 by Gazza.

Date: April 23, 2011 02:25

Gazza

I beg to differ.

Fans didnt travel across oceans to go to concerts in the 60s. And going to multiple concerts wasnt a common thing then either. You went to see an artist when they played in your town. For many, it was a one off kind of thing, I'd say.

The Beatles' final US tour in 1966 even had several shows which came nowhere close to being sell outs. The demand for them on their '65 US tour was significantly higher.

Wembley Stadium held 72,000 for concerts. An artist selling THAT venue out for weeks in 1969 in an era where there were no video screens and crap PA systems? Not a chance.

I think you're seriously underestimating the "magic" of the Beatles, and how the demand the see them increased exponentially every year after they stopped touring. Think of the 20 million people who signed up for a chance to buy tickets to see Led Zeppelin in 2007. The demand to see the Beatles in 1976, for example, would have been even greater. Even in 1995, the three surviving Beatles could literally have filled in a blank check, getting whatever they wanted, if they had agreed to tour in support of the Anthology project.

Date: April 23, 2011 02:31

Gazza
You went to see an artist when they played in your town.

Altamont? "They're already lined up at airports as far away as New York .... It's an unbelievable phenomenon .... Like lemmings to the sea"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 02:53 by tatters.

Date: April 23, 2011 03:04

tatters
Gazza

I beg to differ.

I think you're seriously underestimating the "magic" of the Beatles, and how the demand the see them increased exponentially every year after they stopped touring. Think of the 20 million people who signed up for a chance to buy tickets to see Led Zeppelin in 2007. The demand to see the Beatles in 1976, for example, would have been even greater. Even in 1995, the three surviving Beatles could literally have filled in a blank check, getting whatever they wanted, if they had agreed to tour in support of the Anthology project.

Yeah, but people didnt just hop on flights across oceans to go to rock concerts. Transatlantic air travel was hugely expensive compared to nowadays.

And concerts in stadiums were harder to pull off back then too and there was less demand for them. The phenomenon of stadium rock was a few years away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 03:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:06

Gazza
No pedantry there, chum.

Just the inability to get a joke, I guess.

I shall try to not make one about Elvis in the future.

I wouldn't have though Parker would have to be AT every show but figured that given his reputation, he would want to be.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:12

Gazza
tatters
Gazza

I beg to differ.

Yeah, but people didnt just hop on flights across oceans to go to rock concerts. Transatlantic air travel was hugely expensive compared to nowadays.

And concerts in stadiums were harder to pull off back then too and there was less demand for them. The phenomenon of stadium rock was a few years away.

No, but they would travel a great distance. Remember the scene in Gimme Shelter in Belli's office? "People are already lining up in the airports as far away as New York." The "lemming's of the sea." Great line, actually. Always got a laugh in the theater.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:38

All together now, people:

TINY TIM.

Date: April 23, 2011 04:36

Gazza
tatters
Gazza

I beg to differ.

Okay, forget Wembley stadium. What if it had been a residency at a more appropriate venue, say, The Roundhouse, where the Beatles actually did consider doing some shows in 1968 and 1969? And what if British Airways had an exclusive deal with the Beatles, offering an affordable airfare for Beatles concert goers in exchange for a kickback from the concert ticket sales? I still say they could have played there for YEARS, and sold out every night. "Beatlemania", when it opened on Broadway in 1977, ran for two and a half years (1,006 performances). And that wasn't even the real Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 05:08 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home